Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I have no idea about cheats and trainers, I remember that being a thing on C64 and the Amiga, are they generally available on Playstation?

I understand and agree BC is a nice to have feature, I just do not think its worth the time, money and effort to support it. I once did belive that, when PS3 was released with PS2 BC, but I did not play 1 PS2 game on my PS3, even though I thought I would. And the PS3 had a shitty release cycle in regards to games. Other than Resistance (loved it) and Motorstorm (crossing fingers for dirt5)

I dunno, i primarely play on pc. Ive used cheats on PS2 games... Theres probably a way to get 100% completion someway. Anyway, savegames are the least of my problems regarding next gen to say it like that :p
Ive finished all SP games on PS4, besides that il keep the old ps4 for a while too in another room in the house.

Yeah, i think it depends on person to person, i dont either see it as super important, more of a very nice bonus. If the rest of the system/generation doesn't take a hit from including BC, why not. My BC platform is the PC anyway, going back 30+ years ;)
PS2 also had a 'kinda shitty' release regarding games but we see where it ended up. Rarely consoles have a staggering launch lineup.

I had a dig on spicy alternatives but they all require modded consoles so no thanks

Aha didnt know that, never tried beyond my ps2 with cheats etc.

Well I did not know the answer. At the end it was the opposite: Xbox physical media players have to pay the upgrade and ps4 not... knowing the answer before I would have not said that (it was actually a question)... that in your logic of me beeing an acritic MS supporter. I support MS anyways. I like the way they work. That's all.

I know, you keep posting it in the PS5 thread.

B) The backend simply does not make PS4 saves visible to PS5 titles because it only displays saves from the same ID string and PS4 and PS5 games do not share this ID - this seems like the most likely explanation to date
I’m also banking on the answer leaning somewhere down this path. It can’t be a developer issue, that doesn't make a lot of sense really. So I suspect it’s an infrastructure/licensing backend that may not be well setup for this resulting in extra effort to accomplish the task.

If the issue here if PS5 titles have separate IDs (as is apparently the case for Spiderman) then yeah you will run into this issue with a native PS5 build as it will also have a separate ID and you will in essence download an entirely new game at that point not a patch for a PS4 title leaving you in the same boat as with Spiderman.

There are two possible explanations for the Spiderman situation
A) The devs weren't bothered writing code to translate the original PS4 format saves to their new PS5 save format - I find it very hard to believe this to be the case
B) The backend simply does not make PS4 saves visible to PS5 titles because it only displays saves from the same ID string and PS4 and PS5 games do not share this ID - this seems like the most likely explanation to date

If it's B then Cyberpunk 2077 will have this exact same issue when they launch their new PS5 native client

For the sake of gamers I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 won't have the same issue to the extent of it.

They could release their current PS4 game under the PS5 GameId on launch day, so everyone gaming on a PS5 won't have to migrate. They're already using the new GameId, even if the game doesn't fully utilize all the PS5 goodies. That would go a couple steps towards minimizing the issue. However, it still leaves it as a possible issue for those who started on PS4 and upgraded to PS5 later.

Sony has had a troubled history with overloading unique identifiers (hi PSN name change process) I wonder if the problem here is that the title ID string is used for multiple purposes including potentially harmful ones (ie patching)?

As a user, I shouldn't have to care how their OS back-end operates. The OS should simply be robust enough to handle everything in such way that features simply work in a way they make most sense and are the most convenient from an usability perspective. Anything else is Lazy-devs.

Obviously this stuff is somewhat complicated in a stiff and inflexible software infrastructure, but that is just an explanation of where the problem lies, not an excuse for its continued existance.
Why are you making this deliberately complicated and confusing? If you want that look at the Xbox naming convention.

What we have here is, play the PS4 version on PS5 and you game saves works, play your PS5 remastered version and your PS4 game saves wont' work.

Playstation people forgive all the trouble as long as they get Demon Souls... A ps3 remastered game. I guess if MS could have the Dead Space remastered & Mass Effect remastered as exclusive XSX would look better.... But this can actually happen in the future.

Demon Souls isn’t a remaster.

It’s quite literally a brand new game, based on the original Demon Souls from the PS3 days.

If the issue here if PS5 titles have separate IDs (as is apparently the case for Spiderman) then yeah you will run into this issue with a native PS5 build as it will also have a separate ID and you will in essence download an entirely new game at that point not a patch for a PS4 title leaving you in the same boat as with Spiderman.

There are two possible explanations for the Spiderman situation

A) The devs weren't bothered writing code to translate the original PS4 format saves to their new PS5 save format - I find it very hard to believe this to be the case
B) The backend simply does not make PS4 saves visible to PS5 titles because it only displays saves from the same ID string and PS4 and PS5 games do not share this ID - this seems like the most likely explanation to date - AND Insomniac did not bug the PS5 OS devs enough to have them make that a possibility.
AND nobody else had done that before either, which should had already happened by now actually if people actually cared about usability for god's sake.

I added a bit of clarification there.

Why are you making this deliberately complicated and confusing? If you want that look at the Xbox naming convention.

What we have here is, play the PS4 version on PS5 and you game saves works, play your PS5 remastered version and your PS4 game saves wont' work.

Or it could be like this: Play any version of this game, and its saves work on any other version of the game seamlessly.

How is that not better? How is that more complicated? The technical details of how to make that work should not be a consideration for the end user to ever have to think about.

The definition of "remastered" is not so clear... But yes I understand what you meant. I agree.
Well, it's clear in that a 'remaster' is usually the same game but with enhancements of a whole variety of aspects (Dark Souls 2 remaster, TLOU remaster, Spiderman remaster etc)
A 'remake' is a game built from the ground up that usually shares the same name and can be more or less faithful to the original material (FF7 remake, Shadow of the Coloussus remake, Demon Souls remake etc)

Or it could be like this: Play any version of this game, and its saves work on any other version of the game seamlessly.

How is that not better? How is that more complicated? The technical details of how to make that work should not be a consideration for the end user to ever have to think about.
Exactly. It should be as easy as getting a pop up asking "Would you like to transfer your PS4 save to the PS5 version of this game? Y/N"
It's not rocket science.

I cannot fathom how this is a 'technical issue' when it has been done before. Bit rubbish.

Of course it's the ideal, I'm simply saying it's not complicated.

Of course it's the ideal, I'm simply saying it's not complicated.

It's not complicated for it to work either. It's not the first sony console with saves. It should be more robust and sophisticated than One save file per user per title. This has already been a pet peve of mine since ps3. Now they are not even changing the architecture significantly, its still a x86 OS How can it still be so bare-bones?

But has it been said that Cyberpunk save game will not transfer ? Or did I miss something about it will not work for any games that is/will be cross-gen for PS4/PS5?

//edit anybody know if the Dirt5 save game has the same issues, I mean going from PS4 to PS5? The reason I am asking, is because I might get it on PS4, before I get a PS5. That is if everybody on here says its the super duper Motorstorm replacement we hope it is.
Rampant, but logical, speculation but as from July, all PS4 games released had to be tested to be compatible with PS5. It may be from that point onward any games released include functionality to solve any issues if they do exist and this isn't just some weird isolated issue.

This seems to be the case (see: Witcher 3 and its GotY having incompatible saves). How do Cross Buy games manage to use a single save file across multiple versions? It seems like the titles would have to roll their own cloud save.

Edit: That’s how Helldivers works, which is cross buy, play, and save. I don’t know if it requires a) PS+ and/or b) you to create a Helldivers-specific account or if that happens automatically behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Back