Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I don’t understand the confusion.

A different game (remaster) has a different save file. This is no different to having a US and UK copy of the same game - the save file is linked to that version of the game and the user ID.

As a user, I shouldn't have to care how their OS back-end operates. The OS should simply be robust enough to handle everything in such way that features simply work in a way they make most sense and are the most convenient from an usability perspective. Anything else is Lazy-devs.

Obviously this stuff is somewhat complicated in a stiff and inflexible software infrastructure, but that is just an explanation of where the problem lies, not an excuse for its continued existance.

Hell, you could do those things back in the 90's. The later games in the Wizardry series allowed you to import the save game from the previous game because which ending you got determined which starting story you got among other things (inheritence, etc.). Other games over the years have done the same thing.

Right?

Only more reason to claim: hey fuck-ups who designed the OS, did you think of any functionality minimally outside the absolute bare minimum? Did you build a robust system or a low effort Minimum Viae Product? Do you give a shit about the user's experience? They are at their 5th console for god's sake. How many more gens do they need to implement basic stuff?

Is that a Remastered though? There's no RT. Yes there is slightly more things like better shadows and sharper textures, but it doesn't mean it was re-created into a REMASTERED version. Of course it was only a 2 weeks demo so there can be more changes. I also didn't see them say anything about the saves being allowed but I take it that the changes isn't that big and you can do saves from one version to the other. I propose we wait for the final version before we make any assumptions.

Yes we don't know what Spider-man will look like but if Miles Morales is a benchmark, then there is likely big changes compared to the original Spider-man 2018. Of course there has been no gameplay shown, but the changes described per Insomniac lends me to believe that it's not just a simple slight change like Gears seems to be. Of course I also propose we wait for the final version before we make any assumptions of this REMASTERED version.
Believe there is RT in gears, what form that is is another question. (edit: they added screen space GI, although I'd argue doesn't need to be RT to be next gen)
You will be able to use same game saves.

For the record, I've said in the past (last year) that I think MS should do things like the way insomniac has. DLC's/smaller side story game, that take full effect of next gen, even next gen exclusive ones, even though spiderman MM isn't exclusive.

I'm just saying remastered is very grey area. Although spiderman may have additional story elements maybe?

Guess is difference between remaster and remake, remaster improving graphics maybe some handling tweeks.
Remake is more substantial.
A remaster in this day and age could easily fall under definition of upgrade patch to me.

Last edited:
And no, the XBSX automatic looking better solution doesn't count.

Yes. That's another way of working... IMHO better way of working.... At the end what counts are the final results. Ps5 has new -expensive, wonderful- games. Xbox has the trick to make the old stuff looking and working so much better.

It handled transferring some of the info across multiple games, my trim just short of retirement ME1 captain lost 40 years and gained 40lbs of raw muscle between ME2 and ME3 and in ME3 they morphed again the only thing that really transferred across was basic plot flags. Inevitable give that they shifted engine with every release but kinda broke the whole "my Shephard's journey" thing and added a nice comedic edge to scenes like when they recast someone in your favorite show but never address it.

Yup it kind of laid bare how much of the track they were laying only just in front of the engine on that entire series, in the end most boiled down to getting "WarPoints" or Named Character vs IdentiMook in certain cut scenes.

Yeah this is pure backend fuckery on Sony's part, for whatever reason their system cannot handle PS4 and PS5 titles using the same ID string that allows games to fetch save info from the cloud. I'm not sure why they haven't extended that API to add "Import PS4 save" or advised teams to use the old CrossSave functionality to do the same (although that would require patching the PS4 release to support CrossSave also).
Playstation people forgive all the trouble as long as they get Demon Souls... A ps3 remastered game. I guess if MS could have the Dead Space remastered & Mass Effect remastered as exclusive XSX would look better.... But this can actually happen in the future.

Playstation people forgive all the trouble as long as they get Demon Souls... A ps3 remastered game. I guess if MS could have the Dead Space remastered & Mass Effect remastered as exclusive XSX would look better.... But this can actually happen in the future.
Honestly for Dead Space remaster I would probably hop on the XBSX train :yes:

Right?

Only more reason to claim: hey fuck-ups who designed the OS, did you think of any functionality minimally outside the absolute bare minimum? Did you build a robust system or a low effort Minimum Viae Product? Do you give a shit about the user's experience? They are at their 5th console for god's sake. How many more gens do they need to implement basic stuff?
Wait what? We know how the saves and the OS works on the PS5? Did I miss something?

Yes. That's another way of working... IMHO better way of working.... At the end what counts are the final results. Ps5 has new -expensive, wonderful- games. Xbox has the trick to make the old stuff looking and working so much better.
I think it's possible to have both.
It's not the same teams.
The platform team isn't working on the games.

I think a gears, forza horizon etc standalone dlc games would've smoothed over some of the having things to show issue.

Seriously you guys are making a tempest in a teapot (I had to look that up, because the norwegian version is "Storm i et vannglass".
Yes, its crap if you can not move your save game in big games like Witcher and GTA5 etc. I understand, if you want to finish off Spiderman which you did not do on PS4, but bought the MM and want to finish of the original in a remastered version. But its a frigging 2 year old game, how many have not finished it who intends to finish it.
As for all in here that complains, how many of you are really affected, by that I mean, how many of you actually planned to buy a PS5, MM Spiderman and use your old save game to finish off the game in remastered version, before this news hit? If we get more than 10 people, I would say 7 of you are lying :D and the last 3 of you, I am sorry that this is the most important thing in your life :p

This is coming from a guy, that thinks BC is a waste of time and money for the MS & Sony, that could have been spent elsewhere.

I would point to Cyberpunk 2077 as an immediate challenge for this JPT, the game is launching as a PS4 title and will not get the enhanced PS5 release until late Q1 2021 (hopefully later because fuck the crunch CDPR is driving right now). So I will start this game and potentially wind up having to decide at some point in time whether to start from scratch on the lovely shiny PS5 edition or finish my adventure on the older PS4 build.

This is a point in time problem but it's also utterly unnecessary friction that should have been obvious to everyone at Sony years out

It's a sign of a philosophy... MS keeps attention on this aspects because it's his mission. If XBOX would not give continuity that would spoil also the rest of their business. Sony doesn't have the same philosophy. IMHO.

Seriously you guys are making a tempest in a teapot (I had to look that up, because the norwegian version is "Storm i et vannglass".
Yes, its crap if you can not move your save game in big games like Witcher and GTA5 etc. I understand, if you want to finish off Spiderman which you did not do on PS4, but bought the MM and want to finish of the original in a remastered version. But its a frigging 2 year old game, how many have not finished it who intends to finish it.
As for all in here that complains, how many of you are really affected, by that I mean, how many of you actually planned to buy a PS5, MM Spiderman and use your old save game to finish off the game in remastered version, before this news hit? If we get more than 10 people, I would say 7 of you are lying :D and the last 3 of you, I am sorry that this is the most important thing in your life :p

This is coming from a guy, that thinks BC is a waste of time and money for the MS & Sony, that could have been spent elsewhere.

Cant you use cheats, trainers etc to have 100% completion and just start where you left off?
And yes, BC can be nice to have, in special if you dont want both a PS4 and PS5 under the tv, together with Xbox one and XSX.... Now you can have just an xsx and a ps5.

It's a sign of a philosophy... MS keeps attention on this aspects because it's his mission. If XBOX would not give continuity that would spoil also the rest of their business. Sony doesn't have the same philosophy. IMHO.

Cone on, give it a rest okay. You keep pulling one thing after another out about this Sony bad and MS good, I do belive you never answered my question about why you posted the "you have to pay a fee to upgrade COD from PS4 to PS5" even when you had the answer for it.

I would point to Cyberpunk 2077 as an immediate challenge for this JPT, the game is launching as a PS4 title and will not get the enhanced PS5 release until late Q1 2021 (hopefully later because fuck the crunch CDPR is driving right now). So I will start this game and potentially wind up having to decide at some point in time whether to start from scratch on the lovely shiny PS5 edition or finish my adventure on the older PS4 build.

This is a point in time problem but it's also utterly unnecessary friction that should have been obvious to everyone at Sony years out

But has it been said that Cyberpunk save game will not transfer ? Or did I miss something about it will not work for any games that is/will be cross-gen for PS4/PS5?

//edit anybody know if the Dirt5 save game has the same issues, I mean going from PS4 to PS5? The reason I am asking, is because I might get it on PS4, before I get a PS5. That is if everybody on here says its the super duper Motorstorm replacement we hope it is.

Last edited:
I would point to Cyberpunk 2077 as an immediate challenge for this JPT, the game is launching as a PS4 title and will not get the enhanced PS5 release until late Q1 2021 (hopefully later because fuck the crunch CDPR is driving right now).
It's getting an intermediate next gen patch, then the full fat one next year.
So it won't be running in BC mode.
Not sure what that means if anything about game saves, I assume should just work.
I may not agree with the whole way Sony is doing it, but I do like the spiderman MM part, not to sure about the rest of the spiderman stuff though.

Cant you use cheats, trainers etc to have 100% completion and just start where you left off?
And yes, BC can be nice to have, in special if you dont want both a PS4 and PS5 under the tv, together with Xbox one and XSX.... Now you can have just an xsx and a ps5.

I have no idea about cheats and trainers, I remember that being a thing on C64 and the Amiga, are they generally available on Playstation?

I understand and agree BC is a nice to have feature, I just do not think its worth the time, money and effort to support it. I once did belive that, when PS3 was released with PS2 BC, but I did not play 1 PS2 game on my PS3, even though I thought I would. And the PS3 had a shitty release cycle in regards to games. Other than Resistance (loved it) and Motorstorm (crossing fingers for dirt5)

I have no idea about cheats and trainers, I remember that being a thing on C64 and the Amiga, are they generally available on Playstation?

I understand and agree BC it a nice to have feature, I just do not think its worth the time, money and effort to support it. I once did belive that, when PS3 was released with PS2 BC, but I did not play 1 PS2 game on my PS3, even though I thought I would. And the PS3 had a shitty release cycle in regards to games. Other than Resistance (loved it) and Motorstorm (crossing fingers for dirt5)

There are ways to resign save files to another PSNID, as well as save editors for PS4 so.

It's borderline illegal so I'm not going to post a link on the subject.

There are ways to resign save files to another PSNID, as well as save editors for PS4 so.

It's borderline illegal so I'm not going to post a link on the subject.

You can not expect your average game to through those steps to play a game. I guess its not a very mainstream activity.

Cone on, give it a rest okay. You keep pulling one thing after another out about this Sony bad and MS good, I do belive you never answered my question about why you posted the "you have to pay a fee to upgrade COD from PS4 to PS5" even when you had the answer for it.
Well I did not know the answer. At the end it was the opposite: Xbox physical media players have to pay the upgrade and ps4 not... knowing the answer before I would have not said that (it was actually a question)... that in your logic of me beeing an acritic MS supporter. I support MS anyways. I like the way they work. That's all.

It's getting an intermediate next gen patch, then the full fat one next year.
So it won't be running in BC mode.
If the issue here if PS5 titles have separate IDs (as is apparently the case for Spiderman) then yeah you will run into this issue with a native PS5 build as it will also have a separate ID and you will in essence download an entirely new game at that point not a patch for a PS4 title leaving you in the same boat as with Spiderman.

There are two possible explanations for the Spiderman situation
A) The devs weren't bothered writing code to translate the original PS4 format saves to their new PS5 save format - I find it very hard to believe this to be the case
B) The backend simply does not make PS4 saves visible to PS5 titles because it only displays saves from the same ID string and PS4 and PS5 games do not share this ID - this seems like the most likely explanation to date

If it's B then Cyberpunk 2077 will have this exact same issue when they launch their new PS5 native client

I had a dig on spicy alternatives but they all require modded consoles so no thanks

Back