How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Jim Ryan.:yep2:

Yup. Sony's PS5 comms under Jim Ryan have been poor, an awful contrast to the clear and concise comms for PS4 and PS4 Pro under Andrew House. But is this impacting demand or interest in PS5? It doesn't appear to be. I very much want to see the UI and know more about backwards compatibility, to know how fast current gen games performance and how fast I/O is from external drives - this info is now trickling out for Series X.

The "issue" for Sony is they can't make PS5's fast enough to sate demand. Speaking for myself, while I still want more information, I have more than enough to know the PS5 is a day one purchase. For one, I've seen many games running on it. When I pre-ordered my Series X we had seen no games running on it properly - just tiny windows of gameplay snippets demonstrating load speeds/quick resume but not enough to know how much better graphically/performance-wise Series X would run current gen games - which because there are no Series S/X-only games, it pretty much it's tentpole feature. This is also coming out in fits and starts now. That too, was enough to have me pre-order.

It feels both companies have decided on a fractured, disparate info drop this time. I'm not a fan but perhaps this is how their market teams think it's best to maintain interest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
but not enough to know how much better graphically/performance-wise Series X would run current gen games - which because there are no Series S/X-only games, it pretty much it's tentpole feature.
What PS5 first party exclusives has been shown?
We've not seen XSX|S first party exclusives but we have seen exclusives.

How many actual exclusives have we seen for both consoles, is there a list I'm curious?

I will say that PS5 has looked more impressive to me though, which in the end what matters in this regards.

Jim Ryan.:yep2:

I think that some clear mistakes have been made but the overall showing has been pretty good, from the initial reveal to the PS5 events. Both conferences smashed anything that MS has shown and were better than most E3 shows I've seen. People change minds with the latest news, lately we had the bethesda news and the first hands on from reviewers which has given MS a boost. My feeling is that when they show the UI, backward compat and explain PS Plus Collection better*, overall impression will shift back again.

* Games included:

What PS5 first party exclusives has been shown?
We've not seen XSX|S first party exclusives but we have seen exclusives.

How many actual exclusives have we seen for both consoles, is there a list I'm curious?

I will say that PS5 has looked more impressive to me though, which in the end what matters in this regards.

We haven't seen a game with the "this is running on Series X" logo. Imagine if Sony had done this, we would have hundreds of threads and post speculating if the PS5 even exists or if the SSDs are melting.

We haven't seen a game with the "this is running on Series X" logo. Imagine if Sony had done this, we would have hundreds of threads and post speculating if the PS5 even exists or if the SSDs are melting.
I'm on the record many times on my views of the lack of it not being shown running on xsx.
But the point was that we have been shown xsx console exlusive games, e.g the medium.

Many that was assumed to be PS5 exclusives aren't.

Also was saying the importance of BC due to not having next gen exlusives, but that's not how cross gen games will be running.
Cross gen will not be running in BC.

What are the specific Xbox Series X exclusives and when do the crossgenerational games that are "optimised" become active?

Microsoft took shots at Sony by saying all you need to do to play next gen is "Just buy the game"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....ps5-spiderman-upgrade-confusion-13322151/amp/

But the "upgrades" that have been shown so far are essentially restricted to games that have unlocked framerates. That's it. Otherwise it appears to perform the same as Xbox One X. Unless I'm missing something?

Edit: Medium looks great, so does Forza. I'm not sure of much else that's exclusive.

What are the specific Xbox Series X exclusives and when do the crossgenerational games that are "optimised" become active?

Microsoft took shots at Sony by saying all you need to do to play next gen is "Just buy the game"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....ps5-spiderman-upgrade-confusion-13322151/amp/ the "upgrades" that have been shown so far are essentially restricted to games that have unlocked framerates. That's it. Otherwise it appears to perform the same as Xbox One X.

I'm totally satisfied by this. What do you pretend ? Older games (one only and 360) we have not seen how are performing... but it seems XSX/XSS are doing wonders. Will see how pro enhancements works on ps5.... will se if there are similar improvements as XSX did show.

But the "upgrades" that have been shown so far are essentially restricted to games that have unlocked framerates. That's it. Otherwise it appears to perform the same as Xbox One X. Unless I'm missing something?
Not sure I'd lable them as upgrades, maybe prefix it with system upgrade. As there the same game, just performing better.
I'd consider gears 5, Minecraft and horizon 4 to be "upgrades'.
But once again, we've not really seen them properly yet.

No denying that MS hasn't shown these things running yet. I assume that these will be in the coming weeks of the rolling embargo.

Regarding horizon 3 not getting a patch, sure its now almost eol, but if ms is saying that it's usually 4 lines of code to double framerate, then they should be leading the way with patching as many games as possible, otherwise why should other studios bother?
XSS could've got a 1440p60, XSX 4k60 absolute minimum updates.
All their games which they've not lost the code for should get some level of patch, and system level upgrades left to mainly 3P.

I'm totally satisfied by this. What do you pretend ? Older games (one only and 360) we have not seen how are performing... but it seems XSX/XSS are doing wonders. Will see how pro enhancements works on ps5.... will se if there are similar improvements as XSX did show.

Don't get me wrong, I think what Microsoft is doing with backwards compatibility is essentially a miracle! Honestly one of the most incredible things we've ever seen from a console manufacturer.

But... where are the Series X games or upgrades? We've seen that Gears of War is upgraded, again amazing, but not much else. We saw Destiny 2 in 60hz during one conference, but it's not available to the guys showcasing the Series X. I don't understand why they're only showing last gen games that are essentially Xbox One X level (look, I'm certain we'll have the same with PS5 BC looking like Pro).

I'm hungry for info on the console, I watched a video yesterday where there was a guy with Series X and One X with both side-by-side and he was like "I *think* Series X looks better", but there was actually no difference in settings between either console.

Where are the games?

If anything the first conference they did (with Scorn) was the best one for me. At least I saw something new.

Don't get me wrong, I think what Microsoft is doing with backwards compatibility is essentially a miracle! Honestly one of the most incredible things we've ever seen from a console manufacturer.

But... where are the Series X games or upgrades? We've seen that Gears of War is upgraded, again amazing, but not much else. We saw Destiny 2 in 60hz during one conference, but it's not available to the guys showcasing the Series X. I don't understand why they're only showing last gen games that are essentially Xbox One X level (look, I'm certain we'll have the same with PS5 BC looking like Pro).

I'm hungry for info on the console, I watched a video yesterday where there was a guy with Series X and One X with both side-by-side and he was like "I *think* Series X looks better", but there was actually no difference is settings between either console.

Where are the games?

If anything the first conference they did (with Scorn) was the best one for me. At least I saw something new.
Very important questions. MS has a serious issue with showing Series X gameplay and they seem to be taking it across the nose over and over again.

It’s great they have this other stuff working and well communicated but they are sorely lacking in this area. I have no imagination to explain the hold up and it only ventures to the negative over time.

It's been confirmed by many people who have the xsx that there's embargoes.
I'm assuming that patched/upgraded games will be coming in the following weeks.

I don't understand why they've essentially hidden any updated games up until now.
But now where here, I think this is a better way.
It gives all content creators that have xsx a chance to not have to rush out their videos.
Take a week to have a play with an aspect of the system then tell us about it.

It is a painful wait during info drops though.

I think as soon Cyberpunk will arrive we will have a proper benchmark of all the new and old platforms... But yes. Wait a second: will not have the XSX patch day one. When will it arrive ? I suspect something is lacking in development tools (or maybe a bug they are working around)... that's why we don't see native coded XSX games... Just a suspect.

It's been confirmed by many people who have the xsx that there's embargoes.
I'm assuming that patched/upgraded games will be coming in the following weeks.

I don't understand why they've essentially hidden any updated games up until now.
But now where here, I think this is a better way.
It gives all content creators that have xsx a chance to not have to rush out their videos.
Take a week to have a play with an aspect of the system then tell us about it.

It is a painful wait during info drops though.
At best one would imagine that they want to continue this drip feed business all the way up to launch.
At worst... they've hit the realm of reality: hardware is only one aspect that makes graphics look good. You still need the type of games and the developer that can maximize it and they don't have any projects lined up that can properly give a victory over what Sony is showing. It's certainly not hard for me to imagine this either. A simple analogy here:
Hardware = Race Car
Overall design of the type of game = Race Track
Developer = Race car driver

You don't win a race on hardware alone. Some cars will perform on some race tracks better than others, ie a lotus elise sucks on a drag but is great on the twists.
You can tune your car for the track, but there's a limit to how far that will go.
How hard you can push your car with respect to the track is on the driver. In this case the developer.

Negatively, one would assume that despite their marketing around power, are still unable to come up with something better than Sony's showing.

At best one would imagine that they want to continue this drip feed business all the way up to launch.
At worst... they've hit the realm of reality:
I've been moaning like crazy about this.
After hearing about the new GDK, I've put it down to that.

And their short-sightedness regarding getting impressive looking things in development and ready for launch.
People assume I mean 10 games or something. No, just a couple would've helped.
Small standalone dlc type of things.

I'm on the record many times on my views of the lack of it not being shown running on xsx.
But the point was that we have been shown xsx console exlusive games, e.g the medium.

Many that was assumed to be PS5 exclusives aren't.

Also was saying the importance of BC due to not having next gen exlusives, but that's not how cross gen games will be running.
Cross gen will not be running in BC.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/the-medium

The Medium will also be on PC so not a console exclusive as per your definition.

In that case you can add Godfall(PS5/PC exclusive). Demon's Souls (PS5), Rachett and Clank: Rift Apart(PS5), Returnal(PS5), Sackboy(PS5), Project Athia(PS5), Oddworld Soulstorm(PS5?), Destruction All Stars(PS5), God of War Ragnarok(PS5?). I am sure there are more. And we have seen gameplay for most of these I have listed.

The Medium will also be on PC so not a console exclusive as per your definition.
Did i say console exclusive? Or next gen exclusive?

If I did it was in respect to not being cross gen game as per the conversation.
Maybe I said next gen console exclusive which once again I mean not on current gen.

I'm sure xbox will have 'console' exclusives, but to be honest I just see it as everything being on xbox, PC and Xcloud.

Sorry for confusion.

Back