Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

@TheAlSpark "we'll share details" suggests this is not straight forward. And it should be. Easier said than done retrospectively but come on, Sony; you had years to find a more elegant solution to this.
All you got to do on the PS4 is hit the export button.
You'll get a a block of random numbers and letters, 20 letters wide and 20 rows deep.
Make sure you write it all down correctly!
Then you go into the PS5 and you manually type it all back in!

I mean. Surely it’s a “use save file” vs “cant use save file” kind of situation? Only Sony can make this complicated.
It's likely not this straight forward. We know that PS3 and PS4 save game files are bound to the account from which the game is saved and it's logical that any piece of [game] software cannot interfere with any other otherwise a game game could wipe all your save game files. I think between these two things most save game files are restricted to the same game SKU and PSN ID. And changing that retrospectively, without patching games and having people load then, and re-save them, is very difficult.

Do you remember what Rockstar did to aid migration from 360/PS3 GTA V save games to current gen?

Mass effect could handle transfering of save file info across completely different games. These stuff may not be straightfoward, but they sure as fuck are damn possible if the devs (from both the game and console OS) actually give a shit.

Mass effect could handle transfering of save file info across completely different games. These stuff may not be straightfoward, but they sure as fuck are damn possible if the devs (from both the game and console OS) actually give a shit.

Hell, you could do those things back in the 90's. The later games in the Wizardry series allowed you to import the save game from the previous game because which ending you got determined which starting story you got among other things (inheritence, etc.). Other games over the years have done the same thing.

It's not rocket science. The fact that some games don't have to do it on XBSX but do have to do it on PS5 points to some design choice on Sony's end that makes this difficult.

Regards,
SB

Maybe they're being coy with the save transfers as it may reveal some new UI/feature details they want to bombshell for later?

It's not rocket science. The fact that some games don't have to do it on XBSX but do have to do it on PS5 points to some design choice on Sony's end that makes this difficult.

I think it stems entirely around how Sony opted to implement their upgrade system, where instead of providing something like Smart Delivery, they went with what amounts to separate Games. One game for PS4/4Pro package and a different game for PS5 package.

I assume Bioware planned for that in advance and that may be the trick. If this is about new software not having access to game saves from another piece of software, even if it's the PS5 remaster version of a PS4 game, the workaround is to have an OS-level game copy/transfer function. Copy this save file game bound to this PS4 game to that PS5 game. PSN ID encryption cannot be the barrier, it's more likely just an issue of file permissions.

WHAA? Are you serious? Microsoft just allowed you to preload the game on your console before you even buy it. Disc & digital are the same. Just the license location is different. So basically you can download it now & when you get your disc it will use that license. Or purchase the digital version later(maybe you're getting a gift card) & the license is attached to your account & when you sign in just start playing. Great for pre-orders or going to a friend's house, etc.

Tommy McClain

It's not rocket science. The Microsoft games are clearly not Remastered versions of the games on the different consoles are they. Give me an example of a game on XBOX that was Remastered(and I mean REMASTERED in every way) to look bettter, play better, load faster, has higher details(character or otherwise), has haptic feedback for the controller etc. and that the save works from one generation to another.

And no, the XBSX automatic looking better solution doesn't count.

I assume Bioware planned for that in advance and that may be the trick. If this is about new software not having access to game saves from another piece of software, even if it's the PS5 remaster version of a PS4 game, the workaround is to have an OS-level game copy/transfer function. Copy this save file game bound to this PS4 game to that PS5 game. PSN ID encryption cannot be the barrier, it's more likely just an issue of file permissions.

If saves are digitally signed the same way games are, it is entirely possible that this is a cryptographic issue. But I don't know.

If saves are digitally signed the same way games are, it is entirely possible that this is a cryptographic issue. But I don't know.
I believe game that game saves since PS3 have been loosely encrypted with a key derived from the PSN user ID. If so, using the same PSN ID across PS4 and PS5 shouldn't be a barrier.

All you got to do on the PS4 is hit the export button.
You'll get a a block of random numbers and letters, 20 letters wide and 20 rows deep.
Make sure you write it all down correctly!
Then you go into the PS5 and you manually type it all back in!

Nah.

You must hit the "transfer save game to PS5" on a secret menu that you only access through a 30 button combination. They then send you a 50 pages long form that you must print and fill in with a blue pen ( must be blue!). The form contains all the character stats, chosen names, present location, choices, etc.
You then send the form to an address in Malaysia, then just wait 3-4 months, and eventually you get in you mailbox a CD for the PS5 with a patch that updates your game with the save.

Easy peasy.

It's not rocket science. The Microsoft games are clearly not Remastered versions of the games on the different consoles are they. Give me an example of a game on XBOX that was Remastered(and I mean REMASTERED in every way) to look bettter, play better, load faster, has higher details(character or otherwise), has haptic feedback for the controller etc. and that the save works from one generation to another.

And no, the XBSX automatic looking better solution doesn't count.
Gears 5?
Based on your definition of remastered. (doesn't include haptic feedback, but controller doesn't have that anyway)

I'm not throwing shade at spiderman, but I'm waiting to see if I would consider it a remaster or a very good update/patch like gears.

Edit
Remaster, remake, patch can be very grey area in terms of quality and amount of work done.
Could marketing have called gears a remaster instead of a patch?
Remaster /remake was shady sometimes this gen, could be worse next.

Last edited:
I believe game that game saves since PS3 have been loosely encrypted with a key derived from the PSN user ID. If so, using the same PSN ID across PS4 and PS5 shouldn't be a barrier.

Third party save file editors can resign saves to another PSN ID so....

I don’t understand the confusion.

A different game (remaster) has a different save file. This is no different to having a US and UK copy of the same game - the save file is linked to that version of the game and the user ID.

I agree. Also a remaster should be able to remove, add, change or reorder scenes to get better flow or continuity. If there is a save in one of these scenes it is just no way to handle that generically, it must be done for each game individually.

I vaguely recall an import tool that needed to be used to transfer your save, and that if you didn’t have it, you could just run the tool and select some options to build a save. The saves were more basic though, only capturing plot choices.

It handled transferring some of the info across multiple games, my trim just short of retirement ME1 captain lost 40 years and gained 40lbs of raw muscle between ME2 and ME3 and in ME3 they morphed again the only thing that really transferred across was basic plot flags. Inevitable give that they shifted engine with every release but kinda broke the whole "my Shephard's journey" thing and added a nice comedic edge to scenes like when they recast someone in your favorite show but never address it.

I vaguely recall an import tool that needed to be used to transfer your save, and that if you didn’t have it, you could just run the tool and select some options to build a save. The saves were more basic though, only capturing plot choices.
Yup it kind of laid bare how much of the track they were laying only just in front of the engine on that entire series, in the end most boiled down to getting "WarPoints" or Named Character vs IdentiMook in certain cut scenes.

Yeah this is pure backend fuckery on Sony's part, for whatever reason their system cannot handle PS4 and PS5 titles using the same ID string that allows games to fetch save info from the cloud. I'm not sure why they haven't extended that API to add "Import PS4 save" or advised teams to use the old CrossSave functionality to do the same (although that would require patching the PS4 release to support CrossSave also).

Gears 5?
Based on your definition of remastered. (doesn't include haptic feedback, but controller doesn't have that anyway)

I'm not throwing shade at spiderman, but I'm waiting to see if I would consider it a remaster or a very good update/patch like gears.

Edit
Remaster, remake, patch can be very grey area in terms of quality and amount of work done.
Could marketing have called gears a remaster instead of a patch?
Remaster /remake was shady sometimes this gen, could be worse next.
Is that a Remastered though? There's no RT. Yes there is slightly more things like better shadows and sharper textures, but it doesn't mean it was re-created into a REMASTERED version. Of course it was only a 2 weeks demo so there can be more changes. I also didn't see them say anything about the saves being allowed but I take it that the changes isn't that big and you can do saves from one version to the other. I propose we wait for the final version before we make any assumptions.

Yes we don't know what Spider-man will look like but if Miles Morales is a benchmark, then there is likely big changes compared to the original Spider-man 2018. Of course there has been no gameplay shown, but the changes described per Insomniac lends me to believe that it's not just a simple slight change like Gears seems to be. Of course I also propose we wait for the final version before we make any assumptions of this REMASTERED version.

Back