Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Yes. Probably the new controller is mapped by default... with added (minor) features. What's wondering me most is Spiderman remastered. That's a first party title....[emoji15]
That will be the acid test for them on launch, it's going to be interesting to see how folks will try and compare the two titles side by side. They've been banging on about how quickly you can traverse the city thanks to the new I/O tech in briefings for more than a year so do Dictator and co have to run literal time trials?
The First Annual Spiderman 1st Avenue to 5th Ave Road Race?
See which Spiderman is faster to complete the course?

I would be surprised if a cross gen games developed at the same time don't have cross gen save. The problem is whether an already out PS4 game that will have a PS5 version (exactly the same game, only adding visual enhancements) can have cross gen save? if can, how? obviously by the few examples that we have, cross gen save is not available by default on PS5 but it can be done.
I imagine because Man Eater and Man Eater enhanced are separate games on PS5, you probably can install both version at the same time (why would you do that tho?) while on Xbox it will only install the most suitable version.
Definitely something that Sony need to work on.

The developers may need to implement their own cloud save migration system as GearBox did for Borderlands. You load up the old game, select new menu options to export save to cloud. You load up the new game, select new menu options to import save from cloud.

It's a real hassle from the user perspective, even when they are be able to launch the old and new game on the same system. There's also numerous developer hassles too, needing to code up the functions in the first place as well as any possible server infrastructure. Maybe it does it directly on hard drive, but can Title A write to a location where Title B can read?

The thing is though Sony have these pathways already, only 2 years ago I was digging out my Vita to transfer my ToCS save to PS4 so they have some system for making cross platform saves visible to PS4 applications already.

The thing is though Sony have these pathways already, only 2 years ago I was digging out my Vita to transfer my ToCS save to PS4 so they have some system for making cross platform saves visible to PS4 applications already.

Interesting. Does that still function today? And for every single title, or more on a title by title basis?

Interesting. Does that still function today? And for every single title, or more on a title by title basis?
I was surprised to see it in ToCs tbh, the last time I had seen it prior to that was in some late gen indies like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky. Firing up my Vita I can definitely still upload saves to the CrossSave slot

Forgot to say CrossSave was only ever supported on a per title basis, not sure why more didn't but it was not a guaranteed thing even for games that were on both Vita and PS4

Last edited:
I was surprised to see it in ToCs tbh, the last time I had seen it prior to that was in some late gen indies like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky. Firing up my Vita I can definitely still upload saves to the CrossSave slot

Forgot to say CrossSave was only ever supported on a per title basis, not sure why more didn't but it was not a guaranteed thing even for games that were on both Vita and PS4

Olli Olli and few others did it too but as you say it was a title by title thing.

Any existing lengthy single player RPGs set to get PS5 upgrades, that are not online based? Depending on how this shakes out, one may want to hold off on starting any new RPGs.

CyberPunk 2077 should be fine, since it releases after PS5 so any new characters should be on the PS5 specific GameId (even if the nextgen goodness doesn't hit until later).

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is slated for 2021 sometime, so there should be plenty of time to get save progression sorted?

• This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer
So, cannot carry over save from PS4 to PS5. Beginning to see trend here.
The trend is the PlayStation Store sucks. They can’t even allow disc and digital games to use the same HD installation, despite using the same save. This seems more like “developer laziness” on Sony’s part. Don’t tell me there isn’t a solution—even if it is a kludge—that doesn’t require the presumably more arduous task of changing their databases or whatever locked in ancient format they use to identitfy titles. Take the hit in extra server load and make the Store less annoying to use.

You”d think they’d want to encourage people to move from disc to digital. It’s an extra sale, and avoiding an extra download helps their network.

It really is very, very dumb if every time I decide to redownload a PS5 native build I lose access to my old PS4 progress, CrossSave seems like the kludge they need here as it was only ever a single save file and had to be manually downloaded and uploaded every time (allegedly automatically but it always screwed me whenever I trusted it)

Having a hard time understanding what the hell save games have to do with graphics settings. Shouldn't they be only about game progress? Like player A is at location B and has X,Y abilities and items M,N on the inventory? Surely they should be only about data and no logic or user settings whatsoever?

The trend is the PlayStation Store sucks. They can’t even allow disc and digital games to use the same HD installation, despite using the same save.
Yeah, this is nuts. It's like every possible SKU of game, even on the same platform, has a unique save game file. I'm sure this made sense at some point but it definitely doesn't now, nor even a few years ago.

They can’t even allow disc and digital games to use the same HD installation, despite using the same save.

WHAA? Are you serious? Microsoft just allowed you to preload the game on your console before you even buy it. Disc & digital are the same. Just the license location is different. So basically you can download it now & when you get your disc it will use that license. Or purchase the digital version later(maybe you're getting a gift card) & the license is attached to your account & when you sign in just start playing. Great for pre-orders or going to a friend's house, etc.

Tommy McClain

Well,
the save transfert problem is for the Spiderman PS4 to PS5 Morales or also for PS4 Morales to PS5 Morales?
This let's me thinking to Persona 5 Royale edition, that not used Persona 5 save, due to new structure of the game story due to the expansion.

@TheAlSpark "we'll share details" suggests this is not straight forward. And it should be. Easier said than done retrospectively but come on, Sony; you had years to find a more elegant solution to this.

@TheAlSpark "we'll share details" suggests this is not straight forward. And it should be. Easier said than done retrospectively but come on, Sony; you had years to find a more elegant solution to this.

Yeah, I wouldn't blame it on COVID either. This seems like a poorly thought transition.

I mean. Surely it’s a “use save file” vs “cant use save file” kind of situation? Only Sony can make this complicated.

Back