General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

IMO the best would be each player to fund new games leveraging small studios or creating new ones, so that the gaming industry would in fact grow instead of spend the money in studios that already exist.

Last edited:
If MS has the money to 'buy everything' then buy Sony and Nintendo, merge the whole bloody gaming division but let them run as their own business, with their own identity, so that we all enjoy every game that can be made for one unified platform - which would be a PC-lookalike anyway. No more wars.

Then forums would be empty lol, no more reason to ’discuss’ for many then.

Don't be silly. There will still be a groups proclaiming Windows XP or Windows 7 is far superior to Windows 10.

Lol.

IMO the best would be each player to fund new games leveraging small studios or creating new ones, so that the gaming industry would in fact grow instead of spend the money in studios that already exist.

They don't have to, the game industry is growing regardless of whether MS or Sony invest money into studios.

The best and most innovative games (in my opinion) coming out have zero influence from Sony and MS and most don't even appear on their platforms until months after release...if ever. Hell, BattleTech still isn't on console or the incredibly awesome Disco Elysium (although it should come out for the consoles before the end of the year) or hundreds of other cool games.

If both Sony and MS disappeared we'd still have a shit ton of great innovative games coming out.

To put this into perspective (my perspective), the Bethesda purchase doesn't affect me much. I have 2 whole Bethesda games in my Steam Library (Doom 2016 and Dishonored).

I have over 586 games in my Steam library now. I have over 200 games in my Steam Wishlist. I don't have enough time to play all the incredibly awesome games I want to play.

When I stopped buying EA games because I wasn't going to open another account on another store, it only slightly bothered me that I couldn't play some of the EA games that seemed interesting. Why? There's too many GOOD games to play. I couldn't even play all of them if I played games 24/7. :) Hell, I no longer play Blizzard games for the same reason, and they used to be one of my favorite developers.

As much as Epic buying exclusivity annoyed me, at the end of the day it's whatever. I just won't play those games because there are TOO MANY GOOD GAMES. :D

I desperately wanted to play Bloodborne and Personal 5 but didn't because I don't find console gaming all that enjoyable for the most part anymore. But again, no big deal, there's already too many games I want to play that I own or want to buy.

Likewise, I'm sure there might be some PC exclusives that console gamers would love to play, but don't because they don't want to game on PC.

The point being, it doesn't matter where MS or Sony invest their money. Gaming will continue to grow regardless of what they do.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
They don't have to, the game industry is growing regardless of whether MS or Sony invest money into studios.

The best and most innovative games (in my opinion) coming out have zero influence from Sony and MS and most don't even appear on their platforms until months after release...if ever. Hell, BattleTech still isn't on console or the incredibly awesome Disco Elysium (although it should come out for the consoles before the end of the year) or hundreds of other cool games.

If both Sony and MS disappeared we'd still have a shit ton of great innovative games coming out.

To put this into perspective (my perspective), the Bethesda purchase doesn't affect me much. I have 2 whole Bethesda games in my Steam Library (Doom 2016 and Dishonored).

I have over 586 games in my Steam library now. I have over 200 games in my Steam Wishlist. I don't have enough time to play all the incredibly awesome games I want to play.

When I stopped buying EA games because I wasn't going to open another account on another store, it only slightly bothered me that I couldn't play some of the EA games that seemed interesting. Why? There's too many GOOD games to play. I couldn't even play all of them if I played games 24/7. :) Hell, I no longer play Blizzard games for the same reason, and they used to be one of my favorite developers.

As much as Epic buying exclusivity annoyed me, at the end of the day it's whatever. I just won't play those games because there are TOO MANY GOOD GAMES. :D

I desperately wanted to play Bloodborne and Personal 5 but didn't because I don't find console gaming all that enjoyable for the most part anymore. But again, no big deal, there's already too many games I want to play that I own or want to buy.

Likewise, I'm sure there might be some PC exclusives that console gamers would love to play, but don't because they don't want to game on PC.

The point being, it doesn't matter where MS or Sony invest their money. Gaming will continue to grow regardless of what they do.

Regards,
SB
If what you mean by "gaming growth" are a ton of isometric and strategy games or "fast food" games I dont want it. Growth means nothing in itself for the end user experience
Gaming is made out of a large mosaic, and it's little colors depend on who and how many participate in it.
There is this assumption mainly by PC gamers that without consoles gaming would have been the same or that gaming would have been better. But thats a huge assumptions based on zero evidence that ignores the biggest portion of gaming history and how the market functions with the contribution of the console platform owners.

Yes this is correct, it bears out in most (all) industries

eg take space since Im interested in it
10 years ago, the government had $10 billion to divvy out, now what would created the most progress

A/ give all $10 billion to Boeing
B/ give $1 billion each to space x, rocket lab, 8 other companies

sure Boeing prolly would of done more than any one of the other companies but with the 10 companies its like 10 different ways of trying to solve something instead of one

With Investments its best to diversify.
Should MS of just stuck with making OS's and thats it? No Office, cloud, gaming. mobile etc (sure some dont pan out like mobile)

If what you mean by "gaming growth" are a ton of isometric and strategy games or "fast food" games I dont want it. Growth means nothing in itself for the end user experience
Gaming is made out of a large mosaic, and it's little colors depend on who and how many participate in it.
There is this assumption mainly by PC gamers that without consoles gaming would have been the same or that gaming would have been better. But thats a huge assumptions based on zero evidence that ignores the biggest portion of gaming history and how the market functions with the contribution of the console platform owners.

And those assumptions of yours are why Game Pass needs to exist. You have this assumption that just because it's not made by Sony, Microsoft, or some huge AAA developer that it must be some little formulaic title that noone wants to play.

The reality couldn't possibly be farther from your assumptions. Isometric games are in the minority as as strategy games. A small minority. A VERY tiny fraction of the games.

There's a thriving ecosystem filled with action games, 3rd person games, first person games, flight simulators, RPGs, hack and slash adventure games, shooter adventure games, story driven narratives, horror games (the best ones come out of this space and not the AAA space), simulation games (those pesky flight simulators that HZD couldn't manage because the hardware was too weak :p), war games, anti-war games, meditation games, grow and nurture a pet games, Pokemon style games, survival games, card games, puzzle games, building games, physics games ... I could likely write another 1000+ words describing the various genres that are available.

And then take all those genres and mix them up because they don't follow any AAA formula for what a game must be and thus they freely mix and match genres with sometimes horrible but sometimes absolutely brilliant results that we'd never get out of a Sony, Microsoft, Bethesda, Capcom, SEGA, pick a AAA publisher of your choice.

Thank goodness Game Pass exists, because too many people hold the same disdain as you do for non-AAA games or developers they've never heard of. But when they finally get a chance to play those games, they suddenly find this world of games they've never bothered to look at...and as we've seen, suddenly those developers double, triple, or even quintuple their sales because people finally understand that great games don't only come out of AAA publishers.

Regards,
SB

Sony don't have much cash to M&A now, they just spent US$4bn to privatized an insurance company this month.

False

More than new studios, new IPs. There are already plenty of good studios out there but not that many publishers investing in new things like Horizon, Dreams or Ghosts.

I feel that Sony have to make a play for some studio or create one to make a traditional western rpg because Microsoft have quite a few now in there stable.

And those assumptions of yours are why Game Pass needs to exist. You have this assumption that just because it's not made by Sony, Microsoft, or some huge AAA developer that it must be some little formulaic title that noone wants to play.

The reality couldn't possibly be farther from your assumptions. Isometric games are in the minority as as strategy games. A small minority. A VERY tiny fraction of the games.

There's a thriving ecosystem filled with action games, 3rd person games, first person games, flight simulators, RPGs, hack and slash adventure games, shooter adventure games, story driven narratives, horror games (the best ones come out of this space and not the AAA space), simulation games (those pesky flight simulators that HZD couldn't manage because the hardware was too weak :p), war games, anti-war games, meditation games, grow and nurture a pet games, Pokemon style games, survival games, card games, puzzle games, building games, physics games ... I could likely write another 1000+ words describing the various genres that are available.

And then take all those genres and mix them up because they don't follow any AAA formula for what a game must be and thus they freely mix and match genres with sometimes horrible but sometimes absolutely brilliant results that we'd never get out of a Sony, Microsoft, Bethesda, Capcom, SEGA, pick a AAA publisher of your choice.

Thank goodness Game Pass exists, because too many people hold the same disdain as you do for non-AAA games or developers they've never heard of. But when they finally get a chance to play those games, they suddenly find this world of games they've never bothered to look at...and as we've seen, suddenly those developers double, triple, or even quintuple their sales because people finally understand that great games don't only come out of AAA publishers.

Regards,
SB
You are the one that is making a huge load of assumptions and I am not sure if it is worth to even bother because you are trying to create irrelevant impressions about what I said just so you can have an argument. You maneuvered around it with an irrelevant response. Chill and reply again to my post with something rellevant instead of assumptions about my hypothetical assumptions. Then I will gladly reply

Last edited:
I feel that Sony have to make a play for some studio or create one to make a traditional western rpg because Microsoft have quite a few now in there stable.
There will always be one manufacture with more studios than the other but it's in nobody's interest that this escalates into some weird developer arms race. I feel like Microsoft bought Zenimax to redress the lack of internal studios focussing on solid single-player games. Job done, Microsoft responded to this ongoing criticism. Sony don't need to buy more studios. I'm sure they will, when it makes sense (like Insomniac). But buying for buying's sake? Stoopid.

If I'm sony I'm not going to be buying more big studios. Maybe some small/indie ones to just gain talent. What I would be investing in is my existing studios and try to figure out a way to get a blockbuster out of every internal studio every 2 years. Hire right people, grow organically and invest into whatever would make development teams more productive. Have 2 parallel teams in every studio and try to get into 4 year development cycle. Perhaps also invest into prototyping so new game ideas in existing studios can be explored outside that 4 year development window. This could also make employees happier as it's not only one type of game each studio is making/exploring to make.

Back