AMD: Zen 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect them to expand on the capability, which was recently discovered by Agner Fog, where they defer store-to-load forwarding by using rename registers in some cases. I expect them (and Intel) to gradually increase this capability until we have memory renaming proper.

Intel has a similar capability in their newest microarchitecture.

Cheers

I believe not, as the X570 and the B550 were released with Zen 3 in mind, and already cover mid-budget and high end options. Maybe a lower end chipset?

I believe not, as the X570 and the B550 were released with Zen 3 in mind, and already cover mid-budget and high end options. Maybe a lower end chipset?
A520 is already out ;) There has been some old rumors about Asmedia doing X670 but nothing solid I think

On one hand, supposedly there's no new buses or any tech on Zen3 that would justify a new chipset. It's still just dual-channel DDR4 and 24 lanes of PCIe 4.0.
On the other hand, almost all X570 chipsets are actively cooled which I confess isn't a great thing to have when thinking of a motherboard that could last a decade through different CPU generations. Maybe there's a new chipset that is simply more power efficient.

On one hand, supposedly there's no new buses or any tech on Zen3 that would justify a new chipset. It's still just dual-channel DDR4 and 24 lanes of PCIe 4.0.
On the other hand, almost all X570 chipsets are actively cooled which I confess isn't a great thing to have when thinking of a motherboard that could last a decade through different CPU generations. Maybe there's a new chipset that is simply more power efficient.
Still this? The damn things consume under well 15 watts, any normal PC case has enough airflow even if the fan never spins.

Still this? The damn things consume under well 15 watts, any normal PC case has enough airflow even if the fan never spins.

Still what?
The X570 chipset was measured to consume almost 9W idling with a Gen4 NVMe. Get two Gen4 NVMe drives in there, plus SATA and/or USB 10Gbps, and it can probably go beyond its rated 13W TDP.
It has higher than usual power consumption because AFAIK it's the first PCIe 4.0 chipset out there, but it's just not a power efficient chipset.

I was just stating what could be improved for a new chipset coming alongside the Zen3 CPUs, I wasn't claiming the X570 is a bad chipset.

Still what?
The X570 chipset was measured to consume almost 9W idling with a Gen4 NVMe. Get two Gen4 NVMe drives in there, plus SATA and/or USB 10Gbps, and it can probably go beyond its rated 13W TDP.
It has higher than usual power consumption because AFAIK it's the first PCIe 4.0 chipset out there, but it's just not a power efficient chipset.

I was just stating what could be improved for a new chipset coming alongside the Zen3 CPUs, I wasn't claiming the X570 is a bad chipset.
It's not even a chipset really, it's Matisse's (and possibly Vermeers) I/O-die manufactured on 14nm instead of 12nm.

Der8auer did some extensive tests on those, which that article seems to refer to, too, and any piece of junk piece of aluminium without any direct airflow was enough to keep temperatures in check.
He didn't do two Gen4 NVMe drives, but he did do NVMe + 2x SATA + a damn GPU and still it didn't break 10W barrier, let alone be anywhere close to it's 13W TDP

APISAK just posted some benchmarks - R7 5800X VS i9-10900K

In case you can't see twitter, see attached.
based on that, here are the details in a neat table:

54Anatb.png

based on that, here are the details in a neat table:

54Anatb.png

But no frequency right? I think until we know at what clocks are each CPU running the comparison will have to wait.

Yeah, no frequency and later someone overclocked a 10700K and a 10900K with high RAM speed and got even higher score - all higherst scores in that databas have been done with OC systems. So until the speed of CPU and RAM for that Zen3 will not be disclosed, that score will be pointless for any comparison.

Yeah, no frequency and later someone overclocked a 10700K and a 10900K with high RAM speed and got even higher score - all higherst scores in that databas have been done with OC systems. So until the speed of CPU and RAM for that Zen3 will not be disclosed, that score will be pointless for any comparison.
If you have 6 core or more your aren't CPU bound at all, you are memory latency/ missing bound. So super tight timmings/high memory clocks win big.

https://www.ashesofthesingularity.c...k-result/b1889328-1334-483d-9cfd-91b6ffda323d
thats my my 3600 @ 4.2 all core DDR4 3600
CPU utilisation is ~50-60% across all threads for the entire benchmark.

thats around the same score as an std 3800x which has an all core target of 4.2ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back