Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

After Spiderman remastered for ps5 another game cannot take ps4 save and the use them on ps5 (Yakuza like a Dragon)... This is really strange. Can not understand why... (Same thing is possible between One and XSX). Really hope it's something particular an not spread around many ps4/ps5 games.

So will I not be able to use my PS4 game saves for PS4 BC games on PS5???
That pretty much negates most of what I'd be using backwards compatibility for, finishing PS4 games that I've started on PS4.
It seems to be a game by game basis so far. You cant transfer the original already released Spiderman Game saves to the Remastered version which is sold as a new different game.

Game save transfers almost certainly is up to the developer. There's nothing stopping you from saving your PS4 save file to a USB drive and popping it into a PS5.

After Spiderman remastered for ps5 another game cannot take ps4 save and the use them on ps5 (Yakuza like a Dragon)... This is really strange. Can not understand why... (Same thing is possible between One and XSX). Really hope it's something particular an not spread around many ps4/ps5 games.
You can't use Spiderman PS4 games saves for the remastered version since those are considered different games. For the Miles Morales Spiderman, you can use the PS4 saves for the PS5 version.
(answer in the reply in case the reply didn't show up)

Edit: just to answer about the BC thing. Even there is a problem on using saves on PS4 version of a game on the PS5 version (basically 2 separate version of the same game), it probably wouldn't affect games run in BC mode since you're basically playing the same version of the game.

Last edited:
Yes it seems games in BC mode don't have problems of saving ... But we don't yet know for sure if the BC mode will show a ps4 or a ps4pro graphics... Also the faq about savings and accomplishments on Ubisoft site are a bit disappointing for ps4 users..... This looks to be quite a problem for many....

Yeah there is no issue with save game compatibility as such it's that the Spiderman PS5 and PS4 titles are separate titles with separate title IDs on the backend. I wonder if you exported both PS4 and PS5 saves to a USB key and just copied the PS4 saves to the PS5 sub directory would PS5 load them? Is there an actual file difference of is it just they have separate title IDs (the string of letters numbers on the sub dir on your USB key)

Yeah there is no issue with save game compatibility as such it's that the Spiderman PS5 and PS4 titles are separate titles with separate title IDs on the backend. I wonder if you exported both PS4 and PS5 saves to a USB key and just copied the PS4 saves to the PS5 sub directory would PS5 load them? Is there an actual file difference of is it just they have separate title IDs (the string of letters numbers on the sub dir on your USB key)

I'm wondering of some saves are encrypted or hashed to a particular machine ID. To stop people editing them?

The files are bound to be encrypted with the titleid or other per game key

We really don't need cod and other games hacks from the past due to insecure game saves.

Edit: Ninja'd

Oh that's a shame, iirc I did this with an early PS4 title when the digital and disc versions had separate IDs for some stupid reason and it worked fine

• This is not a different application/game on XBox Series S & X and saves and trophies/achievements will carry forward.
    • This may require subscriptions to additional services such as XBox Gold (such as for cloud save transfers)
    This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer
So, cannot carry over save from PS4 to PS5. Beginning to see trend here.

Cheers HBRU!

Sony has the APIs for cross platform save transfer, <sobs in Cross Save>, time to find whoever it was who coded that up and get them on the case. It's clear to me at this point that Sony is mandating new IDs for PS5 native ports of crossgen games

I wonder how these types on upgrades will effect performance of the SSD and IO. Will the updated game send the data to the new decompression unit on the APU rather than the CPU/old decompression unit?

Insomniac suggested that their updated version of Spiderman will make use of "near instant loading", so presumably fully updated games will send the data to the new decompression unit. That's a paid upgrade, so I wonder if they'll be a difference between that and something like Maneater.

I suspect it will depend on the title and dev, some will hit that auto-magic "re-export for platform X" button in their IDE to get a "native" next gen title with minimal changes and some will go deep and swap out I/O subsystems. I really doubt Sony or MS are going to demand that any title submitted for cert must use all of their fancy new I/O tech and risk losing out on a big 3rd party title. Over time they will simply be baked into every game but for cross gen I doubt it's better than 50/50 whether any given title uses all of the new I/O features XBSX/PS5 offer

I suspect it will depend on the title and dev, some will hit that auto-magic "re-export for platform X" button in their IDE to get a "native" next gen title with minimal changes and some will go deep and swap out I/O subsystems. I really doubt Sony or MS are going to demand that any title submitted for cert must use all of their fancy new I/O tech and risk losing out on a big 3rd party title. Over time they will simply be baked into every game but for cross gen I doubt it's better than 50/50 whether any given title uses all of the new I/O features XBSX/PS5 offer
Yes. Probably the new controller is mapped by default... with added (minor) features. What's wondering me most is Spiderman remastered. That's a first party title....[emoji15]

Back