Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

This is reasonable. But why don't create a file on the fly and save it as needed on thr mass storage ? Why reserve so much -empty- space ? It's a feature that will remain little used... No. I think other OS features use the space and need to have a RAM-like place where to store elaborated stuffs.... Maybe textures. Would not trough ML the OS create textures ? How ? I don't know but this for sure doesn't come for free....

What happens then if your drive gets full and someone is expecting quick switch/resume to work?

Regards,
SB

What happens then if your drive gets full and someone is expecting quick switch/resume to work?

Regards,
SB
The function becomes not available. So expensive SSD space allocated for a "maybe" is not so much reasonable in a commercial equipment. Maybe in other class of equipment it's otherwise reasonable.

The good news is if you have a USB SSD and plenty of unpatched games, you won't need to load them on the NVME to see benefits. There obviously are bottlenecks elsewhere, as the performance numbers using USB SSD should be ~5x slower than internal NVME, but performance is limited from other aspects.

Extrapolating what Borderlands3 loading times would be if I used my external SSD on Series X ends up at some impressive numbers... so much where I thought I was doing the numbers wrong. Then I looked at ArsTechnica and noticed an update to their article, which aligns with my rough estimates.

my estimates said:
(137 seconds) * (89 seconds / 213.5 seconds) ~= 57.11 Seconds

Series X - External HDD: 89 seconds
One X - External HDD: 213.5 seconds

Series X - my USB SSD estimated: 57.11 seconds
One X - my USB SSD: 137 seconds

Update from Ars Technica

[Update, 7pm EDT: Since this article's publication, I've re-run this gamut of tests upon confirming that the external USB 3.1 drive I'd used on both Xbox One X and Xbox Series X was not the highest-speed drive I had available. I blame my mix-up on how my slim Seagate drive runs silently and outperforms Xbox One X's built-in mechanical drive. I've since added a fourth loading time to each test, as run on a WD Blue 1TB 3D NAND drive connected via a USB 3.1 adapter.

The newly added scores (marked in gray) are for the faster drive as connected to Xbox One X. Notice I didn't list scores for this drive on Series X. That is because its results are nearly identical to Series X's built-in NVME 4.0 drive, within a margin of error of 1-2 seconds. This is very good news, should you wish to enjoy cheaper higher-speed storage for older software on Series X.]​

series_x_load_revise.001-1440x1080.jpeg

It's what Microsoft saw and improved with their Xbox Velocity Architecture and DirectStorage APIs.
Very exited by MS work on XSX (and XSS).... Can't wait my XSX coming [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji16]... Very happy to have beeing wrong on jaguars....

It would also be quite nice to give owners the choice. For example, I never have 5 games running at one time. I play one game at a time, finish it and next. Maybe I can have two running at the same time. I’d rather have the extra space than having it sit there empty hoping that I somehow open 5 games one after the other, which would never happen.

When have you ever had the ability to have five games running at one time? On your smartphone?

Plus I’m not sure why anybody is up in arms. Xbox already allows you to shutdown any game/app from literally anywhere. I just checked. I can shut down wasteland 3 (running in the background) while watching Expanse without leaving the Prime video app while the show is still playing.

When have you ever had the ability to have five games running at one time? On your smartphone?

Plus I’m not sure why anybody is up in arms. Xbox already allows you to shutdown any game/app from literally anywhere. I just checked. I can shut down wasteland 3 (running in the background) while watching Expanse without leaving the Prime video app while the show is still playing.

As in playing through 5 games in parallel. If you are a completionist and only buy q 1 game a quarter you may never use the quick resume outside of turning your Xbox on. In this case I am not sure you would miss the HDD space but the question is can you limit this feature to regain some rather expensive SSD space.

Closing a game may not release that space to be usable for a game install. I do not think that has been confirmed on way or the other.

Even with children I do not think I have 5 games on rotation that would necessitate that much space allocated to it.

I only posed the question, guys, didn't think it was going to be such a drama!

If I had the option to squeeze an extra 50-80GB+ out of my already small SSD by disabling QR, or by setting it at 2 games at a time, I would do that, as I don't see myself switching between 5 games at a time. And I would turn it back on if I did need it. That's all.

We don't actually know how much space is allocated to QR.
Maybe the reason it's slower now compared to when DF saw it before, could be that they've implemented compression on it now.

I do understand the thinking about giving options if not being used much by certain people.
But QR is core part of the system and marketing.
Maybe it's something if it does take up a lot of space can be user set in future how much space to allocate. Not that I expect it to be changed by 90% of users.

Back