Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Why are the load times so long, I didnt realize consoles titles were so slow. I've only played a few games on the pc in the last decade but I dont think I ever waited for > a minute

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/2/

16.5 seconds to over a minute!

Im assuming this is cause they are not tailormade for the drive but still not the near instant we were lead to believe, I wonder if ps5 would be so bad.
My game at 2 seconds looks decidedly flash like

I wonder what's going on with those load times. Certainly doesn't look like they're loading at 2.5GB/s, since they'd load 75GB in 30 seconds.

Is this because we're looking at unoptimised Xbox One games?

Will the Series X games that are ~2x RAM size take twice as long to load?

Edit: Quick Resume definitely looks like it'll help

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what's going on with those load times. Certainly doesn't look like they're loading at 2.5GB/s, since they'd load 75GB in 30 seconds.

As some have said before, there's more than just raw bandwidth IO required.

These are all Xbox One X or Xbox One versions running through BC. If there is an Xbox One X patch for it, then that's what the Smart Delivery would install on a Series X console. That is until a Series X specific patch is released.

The Series X specific games will load quicker because they will be using DirectStorage APIs and other aspects of the Velocity architecture, thus removing all the overhead from legacy IO APIs.

So only 802gb available for games? Expected? Or more or less? I don't even pay attention to game sizes. Except when I went to download Destiny 2 off Game Pass & it was over 100gb. :oops:

Tommy McClain

Will the Series X games that are ~2x RAM size take twice as long to load?

Edit: Quick Resume definitely looks like it'll help
its not optimized. You still have other factors like CPU, network, number of threads that are allowed to request I/O etc.

I am impressed by even having any amount of faster loading happen with unpatched backwards compatible games. In particular I'm happy with what I see for Borderlands 3 initial boot -- One X @ 213.5 seconds to Series X @ 56.5 seconds. Even if It's on external USB HDD it's down to 89 seconds on Series X.

I'm still hoping their Series X|S specific patches will improve this even further.

That first video isn't promising. I thought Destiny 2 was going to be 60hz on Series X? The load times are disappointing too, 30sec still sounds like a lot. :(
D2 is not yet enhanced until Nov 10 when Series X is launched. That being said, that's also when they knock off tons of content and even the mainline campaign!

Why are the load times so long, I didnt realize consoles titles were so slow. I've only played a few games on the pc in the last decade but I dont think I ever waited for > a minute

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/2/

16.5 seconds to over a minute!

Im assuming this is cause they are not tailormade for the drive but still not the near instant we were lead to believe, I wonder if ps5 would be so bad.
My game at 2 seconds looks decidedly flash like
I suppose if you only use a thread or 2 for I/O versus a great deal of multi-threaded I/O you're going to see that type of difference.

If the X only has 800gb after system resources the PS5 could be looking at 6-700gb when all is said and done.

Looks tight!

From the Ars preview about the acoustic levels:

I'll conclude this preview with the best news to come out of this venting weirdness: Series X, so far, is the quietest Xbox I've ever tested. Back-compat software runs the Series X to a high enough level to activate the fans and unleash noticeable heat dissipation, but I can barely hear it, even while spending hours in current-gen, open-world romps like Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Will that change when we get higher-performing "next-gen" games to test? That question, and many more, will have to wait until next time.​

I'll conclude this preview with the best news to come out of this venting weirdness: Series X, so far, is the quietest Xbox I've ever tested.
Yes I concur, Not that Im in the market for one, but a quiet console would be near the top of the things I want, more important than power (within reason)
Well done MS

I am impressed by even having any amount of faster loading happen with unpatched backwards compatible games. In particular I'm happy with what I see for Borderlands 3 initial boot -- One X @ 213.5 seconds to Series X @ 56.5 seconds. Even if It's on external USB HDD it's down to 89 seconds on Series X.

Yeah, BC games will have the same CPU punishing IO and (most likely) decompression.

A CPU core on XSX is about 4 times faster, hence four times faster loading.

Unless Sony have pulled off some wizardry with their BC they'll be hung on the CPU too. I'm expecting BC load times to be pretty similar across XSX. PS5 and XSS.

From the Ars preview about the acoustic levels:

I'll conclude this preview with the best news to come out of this venting weirdness: Series X, so far, is the quietest Xbox I've ever tested. Back-compat software runs the Series X to a high enough level to activate the fans and unleash noticeable heat dissipation, but I can barely hear it, even while spending hours in current-gen, open-world romps like Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Will that change when we get higher-performing "next-gen" games to test? That question, and many more, will have to wait until next time.​

For years xbox gamers have said "I cant hear it / it is silent". So series x is loudest modern xbox then, or gamers have been lying?

In reality there is no silent console with moving parts, even switch can be heard from 2-3m away docked, on normal silent room.

So this report is probably non-biased and current gen XBOXs are noisy as are ps4s.

Also without data of his gaming room, it is hard to tell how loud it is. If he sits far / close or have noisy aircon or not = could be quiet, or loud system

The One X's I/O subsystem is designed to decompress data coming from a ~50MB/s spinning hard drive, with lots of repeated assets everywhere and probably using single core CPU decompression (you wouldn't need more than that for a 50MB/s source..). The reduction in XBoneS / XBoneX game load times on the Series X/S is probably being bottlenecked by single-core Zen2 performance, as they're not able to use any of the dedicated hardware for IO decompression.

In the end, what we're seeing in the videos are loading times equivalent to PCs with NVMe SSDs. Native SeriesX/S games should load much faster than that, and also much faster than what any PC will be able to do anytime soon.

In reality there is no silent console with moving parts, even switch can be heard from 2-3m away docked, on normal silent room.

So this report is probably non-biased and current gen XBOXs are noisy as are ps4s.

Anecdotally, my One X is infinitely quieter than my 4Pro.

Back