General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

So somewhere very deep in this thread I wrote that SEGA is basically meaningless as they've done nothing worth noting in ages, but then this weekend I started the first game that made me re-start my PS4 in weeks (and will probably be the only thing I play until I get my PS5), 13 Sentinels by Atlus, and then I remembered that SEGA publishes Atlus games and I freaking ADORE their games. I would die if I lost access to those games.
I think the main thing that most people will miss is the Persona franchise. They do publish some good 1 off games which I'm not really sure if they only act as the publisher or also own the IP for those games. What I'm sure is that if someone bought SEGA, they will also bought Atlus, but they will not get Vanillaware (which is the dev behind 13 Sentinels). Basically Persona IP will definitely follow Atlus, but not sure about the IPs of their other published games. Even if they do own the IP, the talent that make some of their games are basically elsewhere.

Last edited:
Are we there now that we believe this buy out from MS is leading to that we will miss many games on certain platforms? I believe we will also the next round get a split of 70-30 market share for Sony, at worst a 60-40. The developers and MS will be very foolish to miss income from the biggest customer base. I think this whole case will lead to some timed exclusives and special content or at worst case a few exclusives IP's. Nothing to make the world fall down IMO.

I've heard many people say that gamepass needs good quality exclusives.
Are you saying it doesn't matter if it's exclusive or not?

Short term Sony and MS would make more money if they sold their games on directly competing platforms, there's a reason they don't generally.

Are they going to put some games on PS sure, especially if already in late development for it.
They may even keep some IP multi platform long term.

But this isn't about making money back in short term.

I've heard many people say that gamepass needs good quality exclusives.
Are you saying it doesn't matter if it's exclusive or not?

Is it not exclusive enough that customers get these games so cheap on Gamepass? The others have to pay 60-70$ for each game.

Is it not exclusive enough that customers get these games so cheap on Gamepass? The others have to pay 60-70$ for each game.
That's value, and definitely worth including in the conversation.

But, people will still pay for it on PS. If it's not on PS it gives them more reason to get into gamepass in some way or form.

But it has to be more than the odd game here and there to keep those types of gamers resubscribing.

I perfectly understand why companies are using exclusives to get customers on board, but generally I do not like systems that are somehow forcing me in one direction or the other. I prefer freedom of choice, of course we still have, but that come with some sacrifices. I would get pretty upset if I had to buy a certain brand to watch certain Blu-Ray movies. Anyhow I guess it will be the reality in the console market for the foreseeable future.

Sega's franchises can be really huge with the right resources.
It is irrelevant if Sega hasnt been huge for the past decade.
It is also a great opportunity for MS to enter the Japanese market strongly.
I wish MS's aggression stops here. I am not very fond with aggressive business tactics especially done by corporations that are already too big and powerful

I wish MS's aggression stops here. I am not very fond with aggressive business tactics especially done by corporations that are already too big and powerful

Sony and nintendo basically do the same by locking games/content to their platforms. Difference is that MS has deeper pockets.

Sony and nintendo basically do the same by locking games/content to their platforms. Difference is that MS has deeper pockets.
Is it the same though? Sony and Nintendo nurture a few studios, and have done so for many years, and very much fund their creations. They find a studio here and here and sometimes buy it when they see that they can work together.

Is it "pro consumer" to outright buy a publisher with tens of studios, only to lock all those games out of other system, simply by the power of the dollar?

Do we really want a gaming industry where - for example - Sony has Ubisoft games, MS has Bethesda, Nintendo has EA, when they are all locked out of other platforms?

Last edited:
Is it the same though? Sony and Nintendo nurture a few studios, and have done so for many years, and very much fund their creations. They find a studio here and here and sometimes buy it when they see that they can work together.

Is it "pro consumer" to outright buy a publisher with tens of studios, only to lock all those games out of other system, simply by the power of the dollar?

Do we really want a gaming industry where - for example - Sony has Ubisoft games, MS has Bethesda, Nintendo has EA, when they are all locked out of other platforms?

It's different in the way of how they aquired or created them, but the result is largely the same, they make sure games or content are exclusive to their platforms, or timed exclusive games or content.
MS does it the brute force way though. And yes i agree, we don't want exclusivity, thats not what i said or want either, i'd want games to be available to everyone, so that people have the freedom of choice.

But that doesnt seem to work as MS, Sony, and nintendo want to have games tied to their eco systems. MS has the money to outright buy everything. Guess if Sony could do that, they would? I mean, everyone would be kinda forced to get into the PS ecosystem, which cant be bad for sony.

You see also now, Sony showcase had this timed console exclusive things, same with some content. MS perhaps thought we can do that too.

I wont be affected too much anyway, having PC and PS5 i will have basically everything gaming related. Im not intrested in Nintendo games anyway.

No they arent. They are making their own games. They arent locking large known multiplatform studios for themselves. The former increase the amount of games available on their platform. The latter reduces games available on other platforms.
Dont pretend it's the same.

They arent locking large known multiplatform studios for themselves.

It doesn't matter how, exclusivity still happens. It would be a different thing if games already in development for PS5 get cancelled but thats not happening i think.
On OG xbox i could play spiderman, now thats a PS exclusive. So yes, its the same thing, they just achieve those exclusiveity goals a different way.

Exclusivity is a way to keep users tied to a platform, and Sony is doing it as much as MS if not more.

It doesn't matter how, exclusivity still happens. It would be a different thing if games already in development for PS5 get cancelled but thats not happening i think.
On OG xbox i could play spiderman, now thats a PS exclusive. So yes, its the same thing, they just achieve those exclusiveity goals a different way.

Exclusivity is a way to keep users tied to a platform, and Sony is doing it as much as MS if not more.
No. You are confused and trying too hard

No. You are confused and trying too hard

Lol what? Trying to convince MS to buy all studios? Dont think they care what we have to say, neither do i, have both platforms. But not everyone wants to have multiple platforms to enjoy different titles because MS and Sony tie their games to theirs.

Lol what? Trying to convince MS to buy all studios? Dont think they care what we have to say, neither do i, have both platforms. But not everyone wants to have multiple platforms to enjoy different titles because MS and Sony tie their games to theirs.
I dont recall you being the subject of the discussion :p

If MS has the money to 'buy everything' then buy Sony and Nintendo, merge the whole bloody gaming division but let them run as their own business, with their own identity, so that we all enjoy every game that can be made for one unified platform - which would be a PC-lookalike anyway. No more wars.

If MS has the money to 'buy everything' then buy Sony and Nintendo, merge the whole bloody gaming division but let them run as their own business, with their own identity, so that we all enjoy every game that can be made for one unified platform - which would be a PC-lookalike anyway. No more wars.

Don't be silly. There will still be a groups proclaiming Windows XP or Windows 7 is far superior to Windows 10.

Back