Formula 1 - 2020 Season

The F1 prerace show on YouTube had a word with Gunther Steiner. He basically said that because of lack of money they haven’t developed this year’s car, and they’re not necessarily looking for a fast driver in the short term. The worse they do (next year, I think), the more aero they’ll be allowed in 2022 (with the true next car). Not sure how much worse they can do given the engine power loss and total lack of development (neither really their fault) and the poor car they’re starting with (their “fault,” ignoring budget), so they may not need to go out of their way to find a slow driver, but it sounds like they’ll get at least one pay driver for a year. I don’t how much a driver can help develop the 2022 car on track next year, and they almost certainly have a dedicated sim/reserve driver (like everyone else), so maybe they’ll replace both?

Just to be clear, the lower you finish the more aero development time you are allowed. So if they really don't have any budget that might not help them that much.

Anyway this and next year will be a lost cause for the Ferrari teams so I can understand a Haas or Alfa spending as little as they can get away with.

Or he was just simply slower than the mexican?
He was lined up in the pit lane to go again after the red flag but his mechanics pushed him out of the queue and back into his garage before the session went green again. Sky didn’t clarify during the broadcast. I don’t think it would be unfair to say he would have been slower in qualifying in equal cars, but Sky keep saying how his updated sidepods are worth a couple tenths. Only he has them, still. He was the first to get them in Mugello, then he wrecked and the new set that was supposed to go to Perez this weekend instead went into Stroll’s rebuilt car.

Well Stroll didn't get much opportunity to use those parts as LeClerc ran into him on turn 4. Shortly after Sainz removed himself from the race by testing the strength of the barrier.

Hamilton acquired some pre-race penalties and fought back to 3rd. He's also now only 2 infractions from a race ban. So he's helping keep some interest alive in the championship.

Well Stroll didn't get much opportunity to use those parts as LeClerc ran into him on turn 4. Shortly after Sainz removed himself from the race by testing the strength of the barrier.

Hamilton acquired some pre-race penalties and fought back to 3rd. He's also now only 2 infractions from a race ban. So he's helping keep some interest alive in the championship.
Wanna bet if he ever gets that? Apparently there's a clause in the rules that even if you get 12 points you can be left off without the ban if the points haven't come from "dangerous stuff" or something (hearsay, haven't double checked)

The stewards changed the decision on the infractions.
The stewards disagreed, and Hamilton was given a 10-second penalty. Initially, they also gave him two penalty points that moved him within two of an automatic one-race ban. But that decision was later rescinded, giving him a bit more breathing space over the next four races, although he will still have to be careful.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/54319543

Kvyat had a nice race with the start on Hards working out well, not quite good enough to pass Ocon for 7th but solid 8th, Gasly held his starting 9th, both ahead of Albon who did well after dropping to back of the field from pitting on 1st lap & having to make a 2nd stop.

Vettel again down well short of the points though Leclerc managed to get up to 6th.

Although it will never happen I would have loved to see Leclerc and Verstappen on the same team.

So Honda has just announced they are pulling out of F1 after 2021 because they want to focus more on becoming carbon neutral yadaydayada.

RBR must not be happy with that. I guess they can only switch back to Renault given that Merc already supplies four teams and Ferrari probably doesn't want to get beaten by a team with their engines. Plus Ferrari supplying half the grid would not be best either. So Renault it is as they are on their own after this season and "need" an extra team or two. Due to the rules Renault cannot deny RBR engines but you'd wonder if that can ever turn into a workable relationship.

Could there be a chance RBR takes over/pays Honda to keep developing the engine? After 2021 they got yo slash their spending in half so they got money. I believe engine development will also be limited in 2022 and 2023 with a complete freeze for 2024 and 2025 before new rules are introduced. They might only have to bridge two years. Of course if they screw up they'll be stuck with a poor engine for far longer.

So Honda has just announced they are pulling out of F1 after 2021 because they want to focus more on becoming carbon neutral yadaydayada.

RBR must not be happy with that. I guess they can only switch back to Renault given that Merc already supplies four teams and Ferrari probably doesn't want to get beaten by a team with their engines. Plus Ferrari supplying half the grid would not be best either. So Renault it is as they are on their own after this season and "need" an extra team or two. Due to the rules Renault cannot deny RBR engines but you'd wonder if that can ever turn into a workable relationship.

Could there be a chance RBR takes over/pays Honda to keep developing the engine? After 2021 they got yo slash their spending in half so they got money. I believe engine development will also be limited in 2022 and 2023 with a complete freeze for 2024 and 2025 before new rules are introduced. They might only have to bridge two years. Of course if they screw up they'll be stuck with a poor engine for far longer.
RBR might quit F1 too, apparently the new Concorde deal, while technically says they need to stay at least 'till 2025, allows them to quit in the middle of it too.

Yeah this is quite horrible. Although Renault certainly picked up some slack, it is really disappointing. That said, if this means more budget and exposure and drivers will go to Formula E, I could live with that too, but only if they also drive on some of the classic F1 tracks.

well since it costs 200m to get in as a new team, rbr can certainly be sold

but yeah huge bombshell, the years of crying with mclaren/honda and now honda dropping f1 is not good for the sport
hopefully a new engine formula will gain some new manufacturers, but rbr need an engine and they have burned bridges at renault and i doubt merc will give them an engine, so ferrari customer for rbr?

also formula e is out imho, it cant compete at any level with f1 - cars are too slow (only cramped tracks make them look fast-ish)

Renault cannot deny them an engine though. And ego's aside, if the need arises I'm sure common sense will prevail. RBR leaving/being sold is not good and Renault not having any customers isn't good either so at a higher level I'm sure those having their mugs on TV will be told to just deal with it.

But F1 did put itself in a bit of a bind (again). I do hope the next engine regulations will be much simpler. Who really believes the current engines are "clean" anyway? A simple engine with maybe a fuel limit to make them look "green" probably makes more sense in the long run.

I agree formula e just isn't anywhere close to F1.

Renault cannot deny them an engine though. And ego's aside, if the need arises I'm sure common sense will prevail. RBR leaving/being sold is not good and Renault not having any customers isn't good either so at a higher level I'm sure those having their mugs on TV will be told to just deal with it.

But F1 did put itself in a bit of a bind (again). I do hope the next engine regulations will be much simpler. Who really believes the current engines are "clean" anyway? A simple engine with maybe a fuel limit to make them look "green" probably makes more sense in the long run.

I agree formula e just isn't anywhere close to F1.
yeah i also honestly think its back to renault but rbr probably have to kowtow and cyril will have the biggest smirk. they will probably demand the engines be badged renault, no tag heuer bullshit

Didn't the commentators say during last weekend that Renault were looking for a customer team as McLaren were going to Merc. So i would definitely say RBR to Renault although Honda will still supply engines next year.

Didn't the commentators say during last weekend that Renault were looking for a customer team as McLaren were going to Merc. So i would definitely say RBR to Renault although Honda will still supply engines next year.
yeah sure but there has to be some succulent crow all around at rbr

so is the one behind the williams buy-out? joe saward says he thinks its british, so im thinking ron dennis
he's done it before to a named team (mclaren, started by good ol' brucie) and when he left he did it on not the best of terms

so is the one behind the williams buy-out? joe saward says he thinks its british, so im thinking ron dennis
he's done it before to a named team (mclaren, started by good ol' brucie) and when he left he did it on not the best of terms
I heard Bernie Eccelstone's group.

I heard Bernie Eccelstone's group.

To quote myself from earlier in the thread

Bernie might be back in F1 :oops:

Apparently Williams wasn't really sold to Dorilton Capital, but rather one of it's subsidiaries, BCE Limited.
There's little information available about the BCE Limited, but it's suspected to be short for Bernard Charles Ecclestone, Bernie's full name.

Back