Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

Doesn't 3080 have an entire GPC turned off? Is that how a "Ti" is defined these days?

In my opinion, the 3080 Ti is just waiting for AMD's move - the price won't be pretty.
It would be more palatable if it wasn't saddled with 10GB RAM which is insufficient even right now. I don't think enabling ROPs to allow for 12GB would be enough either. Maybe I'm expecting too much for $700 these days. Heh.

Last edited:
ruh-roh

Update 09/21/2020: According to other owners, the LG CX can't display 4:4:4 properly when sent a 4k @ 120Hz signal from an RTX 3080 over HDMI 2.1. We can't test this at the moment, but once we get a new graphics card with HDMI 2.1 we'll test this and update the review.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

Rrrrmmm?
Apparently only the CX models are affected, for the C9 models 4k 120 Hz 4:4:4 is working fine. I couldn't find a single piece of evidence that the LG CX is capable of 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 with an HDMI 2.1 input.

What's going on with EVGA? There aren't any reviews of their 3080 while Asus and MSI seemed to have gotten quite a few units out to reviewers.

From EVGA:

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch.

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3095238&p=1

It would be more palatable if it wasn't saddled with 10GB RAM which is insufficient even right now. I don't think enabling ROPs to allow for 12GB would be enough either. Maybe I'm expecting too much for $700 these days. Heh.
ROPs are inside the GPCs now (similar to how AMD's ROPs are inside shader arrays in RDNA), so the count of ROPs is unrelated to the count of memory channels.

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch.

Last edited:
yes, if you count the boost clock as an overclock, some cards may not be stable at their advertised boost speed. Jayz recons companies will fix affected cards via a vbios update that reduces boost speed since its a cheap fix as opposed to the proper fix of replacing 1 or more poscaps with mlcc caps

yes, if you count the boost clock as an overclock, some cards may not be stable at their advertised boost speed. Jayz recons companies will fix affected cards via a vbios update that reduces boost speed since its a cheap fix as opposed to the proper fix of replacing 1 or more poscaps with mlcc caps
That's an insanely stupid failure on the part of the card vendors. If it's legit and there's not just a batch of defective first run cards. My two replacement Pascal cards say hi. ;)

Here's one guy who did not have any problems using a quadro driver (460.20). He says it overclocks and boost perfectly above 2ghz.
He noticed the same with the new driver issued today.

quick tests to try to replicate the crash reports, high mhz before temp rise for the boost be the highest possible:
full hd, boosts above 2100
3080-456-55.png

rendered in game 4k, boost jumps between 2080 and 2040
, no more 2100+ boost haha, again, no stability, crash problem whatsoever, but now, like print shows, perfcap hits hard as the card power consumption raised
test.png

Nvidia also gave a heads up regarding the new driver and stability with the new 3080.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...x-3080-board-stability-new-driver-capacitors/

Last edited:
One aspect regarding difference between reviewers and regular consumers is that practically all reviewers test in open air bench cases with low ambient. There are 3080's going into PCs that have much poorer cooling and higher ambient temps. It can create a situation where these issues were tripping for users if it was boosting too high in relation to temps.

Back