Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Has there been any concrete information about the pulse 3d headphone accessory for ps5? I'm hoping the 3d audio/hrtf processing turns out to be real thing. This means I'm in market to find a good headphones to buy to use with ps5. My current bose noise cancelling ones are nice for work but not that great for music/gaming. Pulse 3d seems interesting and it's wireless but how much lag does it add?

Has there been any concrete information about the pulse 3d headphone accessory for ps5? I'm hoping the 3d audio/hrtf processing turns out to be real thing. This means I'm in market to find a good headphones to buy to use with ps5. My current bose noise cancelling ones are nice for work but not that great for music/gaming. Pulse 3d seems interesting and it's wireless but how much lag does it add?
Does hrtf not need in ear headphones?

The algorithm models and mimics the outer ear, would cupped headphones have your own outer ear affect the effect?

No idea but just assumed in ear monitor type headphones would be the best for this

Does hrtf not need in ear headphones?

The algorithm models and mimics the outer ear, would cupped headphones have your own outer ear affect the effect?

No idea but just assumed in ear monitor type headphones would be the best for this

I guess it depends how hrtf function is implemented. I imagine in ear and headphone would have to have different implementation. Maybe I just have to wait for reviews. Would be stupid of sony to release headphones not optimized for their audio solution. But it's sony so who knows.

An excellent post by Charles Bloom at RAD Games Tools. Pertaining to PS5 IO and Kraken compression libraries.

Sony has previously published that the SSD is capable of 5.5 GB/s and expected decompressed bandwidth around 8-9 GB/s, based on measurements of average compression ratios of games around 1.5 to 1. While Kraken is an excellent generic compressor, it struggled to find usable patterns on a crucial type of content : GPU textures, which make up a large fraction of game content. Since then we've made huge progress on improving the compression ratio of GPU textures, with Oodle Texture which encodes them such that subsequent Kraken compression can find patterns it can exploit. The result is that we expect the average compression ratio of games to be much better in the future, closer to 2 to 1.

https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-oodle-kraken-and-oodle-texture.html

I guess it depends how hrtf function is implemented. I imagine in ear and headphone would have to have different implementation. Maybe I just have to wait for reviews. Would be stupid of sony to release headphones not optimized for their audio solution. But it's sony so who knows.
Cerny did say that they will have 5 generic profiles that seemed to fit most people. You will likely run a program within the PS5 which will allow you to select which profiles suits you best while wearing whatever headset or earphones you use.

Do we know anything about the SSD upgrade yet? Will the PS5 be like PS3/4 where you have to swap the internal or like XSX where you can add additional to the existing 825gb?

Do we know anything about the SSD upgrade yet? Will the PS5 be like PS3/4 where you have to swap the internal or like XSX where you can add additional to the existing 825gb?
I doubt you can swap the internal as it will likely be soldered onto the motherboard.

You will likely have a slot on the motherboard to add additional SSD PCI-e 4.0 drives.

iu

I don't think anyone had any joy trying to pre-order from Amazon today. The page didn't even get chance to update from 'out of stock' before it was actually out of stock again. It's crazy and must be so frustrating for real people who are trying to get one.

Yea I’m just going to go in person. It’s easier and less frustrating. Once you are in line and they tell you, you got on. You don’t have to worry about not getting it or if they oversold.

Cerny said that heat management was important aspect of the hardware design, but that we will have to wait for the official teardown to find out the details.
Also important to note that the sheer size of the thing should point to an effort to keeping it quiet. I can't see Sony building something so massive and still having it sound like a jet engine? Might as well keep it small if that were the case.

Back