Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

Well I should clarify, the top bids are over $50K. I doubt any will ever sell for $100 more than MSRP.

Demand is insane. Especially considering this is only one model from one manufacturer in one store
Well Turing was decent with the introduction into RT and DLSS, it sold fairly well considering, but there were a lot of Pascal owners likely waiting for the next generation and see how these new features were adopted.

Looking at addressable market among Nvidia owners alone and the number of $600-700 GPUs out there spanning 980, 980TI, 1080, 1080TI, 2070 and even some of the 2080, it would probably take 6-9 months or more of non-stop production with plants and fabs running full tilt. Turning's poor value proposition is in large part responsible for the problem due to countless upgrades that normally would have been distributed over the last cycle being put off till now - and some people who did take the plunge feeling compelled to upgrade to Ampere anyway.

Another apology from nvidia and some interesting bits like this

The GeForce RTX 3080 is in full production. We began shipping GPUs to our partners in August, and have been increasing the supply weekly. Partners are also ramping up capacity to meet the unprecedented demand. We understand that many gamers are unable to buy a GeForce RTX 3080 right now and we are doing everything we can to catch up quickly.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

I went to the branch of the computer store chain near my work to see if they were doing reservations for the 3080. There was already a guy reserving one and I was listening to the conversation while I waited. He wanted the EVGA XC3 with a metal back plate and they already had 150 reservations for the top end one. They had almost as many for a slightly lower clock version and they had 60+ for the version with no back plate. They had reservations for all 12 models that they carry. The guy reserving the card said he was hoping to have it for Christmas and they said they couldn't promise that. I decided to walk out the door. The demand for this card is insane. That's one store of many in a not particularly huge city. I can't even imagine how many people are trying to get cards in large cities. I guess I'll be finding out what all of the other cards are like well before these things are available. AMD has a huge opportunity if they can launch witch stock, but they probably will have the same problem.

What's going on with EVGA? There aren't any reviews of their 3080 while Asus and MSI seemed to have gotten quite a few units out to reviewers.

GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming
Before we write this news item, I want to make it clear that we have yet to see an RGX 3080 crash ourselves. We did initially have an issue with F1 2020, but that was fixed with a driver update and a new game-patch. The story then ,some users report that their cards are crashing mid-game.

Basically, in-game the game freezes or crashes and then returns to desktop. This now has been reported with cards from Zotac Trinity, MSI Ventus 3X OC and apparently ... with many EVGA cards.

Dozens of reports share the same problem on various forums. There is still some uncertainty as to exactly what the cause is, but the boost clock speed seems to be a crucial factor. As soon as that clock speed rises above 2.0 GHz, some users will experience problems. Specific details are not yet available, Nvidia or its partners have not yet responded to the issue.
Temporary solve
Should you experience the problem, you can temporarily tackle the problem by reducing the GPU clock speed by 50 a 100 MHz offset, possibly accompanied by a slight underclock. Of course, this quick fix is at your own risk and requires the necessary knowledge.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-rtx-3080-users-report-crashes-while-gaming.html

I was expecting a little more speed for 2x the price. :confused:

The speed makes sense though considering the hardware. It didn't really dawn on me before that it's the same chip as the 3080 and most of it was already enabled.

My impression of the state of the union then is 3080 is actually the new Ti card renamed so NVidia can redefine what people think is acceptable pricing. 3090 is the pointless Titan card. 3070 is delayed from spotlight and availability as part of their "make us love to pay more" initiative.

I suppose you guys have already come to this conclusion on page 387 of some speculation thread though. ;)

Last edited:
@swaaye yep they pushed the pricing down one tier for every model, which is ultimately what purchasers care about. It’s amazing what some competition will do. Their next architecture in two years is going to have to be really interesting.

I dont think the 3080 is placed quite at the same space as the 2080Ti. Based on the number of activated units vs the full chip its more of a cut down x080Ti. There's definitely space above it for Super with more memory.

The 3070 though is bang on for the old 2080. 3090 too is more or less at the same point as Titan.

For the sake of it, we also threw in little brother Geforce RTX 3080 to see how limiting the card's 10GB graphics memory will be in 8K resolution. As seen in the graph, the memory runs out in Battlefield V, Total War: Three Kingdoms and Wolfenstein: Youngblood, resulting in a nice slideshow. Even in Doom Eternal seems to suffer a bit from memory shortages, as the lowest numbers slide down further than expected.

As expected, many of today's games are far too heavy-powered to run in 8K at acceptable frame rates. This is of course something that Nvidia has predicted, and therefore they have implemented DLSS mode "Ultra Performance". This allows the game to render in 2560×1440 pixels and then scale up to 8K via a machine learning model.
With DLSS "Ultra Performance" enabled, we are met with significantly higher frame rates, which is not unexpected in sure that the scenes are now rendered in a significantly lower resolution. Subjectively, the scale-up looks like doing a good job of filling in the information missing from the games, which ultimately gives a nice graphic presentation on the Samsung TV we used.
For those of you who are unlikely to be on a screen or TV with 8K resolution, we have uploaded two clips from Battlefield V and Doom Eternal respectively in 8K 30 FPS. The only reasonable option to capture 8K video at present is Nvidia's built-in Shadowplay feature which is limited to 30 FPS at this resolution.

On top of the performance, we encountered some technical issues running the 8K graphics card against Samsung's Q950TS, where we ultimately had to use reduced color resolution with chroma subsampling 4:2:2 to get the image. According to Nvidia, this should be solved with an upcoming software update to this particular TV model, but it might be worth considering if you intend to get started right now.

Competing companies' TVs are also awaiting software updates for their 8K models to fix problems that have only been made visible with the launch of the Ampere architecture. As for the even more exotic modes such as 4K at 240 Hz or 8K in 120 Hz, both of which are only allowed via Displayport, there is a complete lack of consumer products with support for this at present.
To sum up, gaming in 8K feels more like a fun gimmick at present rather than something that a purpose you buy a graphics card for. Anyone who has today invested in the tv manufacturers' new flagship will have the opportunity to operate these with the Geforce RTX 3090, but must also be prepared to use generous amounts of resolution scaling inside the games or DLSS where it is supported.
https://www.sweclockers.com/test/30...tvis-inte-spelkortet-du-letar-efter/6#content

Last edited:
Back