Amazon Luna Cloud Gaming [2020]

True..but you still have to subscribe to individual publisher channels IIRC on top of the Luna subscription.

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see where that pricing lands. Ubistreaming is $14.99 on Stadia?

Regardless, they have a much better starting point that Stadia. Looks like they're planing a non + version. Maybe limited games/hours if you're on Prime? They can also do the usual "try it for 30 days" deal they do with their other products. This is a big failing with Stadia. There's no enticing on ramp.

True..but you still have to subscribe to individual publisher channels IIRC on top of the Luna subscription.

Only for top-tier publishers. The $6/mo is for their generic tier & the only one currently available. I wouldn't expect a lot of additional tiers like Ubisoft.

Tommy McClain

Only for top-tier publishers. The $6/mo is for their generic tier & the only one currently available. I wouldn't expect a lot of additional tiers like Ubisoft.

Tommy McClain
If Microsoft keeps on buying publishers there obviously won't be many :rolleyes:

On a side note, the Luna team seems to be headed by some of the old Xbox team: Marc Whiten, Albert Penello among others. Not sure if this a good or bad thing.... Phil Harrison did a tremendous job with Stadia. :cool:

Last edited:
If Microsoft keeps on buying publishers there obviously won't be many :rolleyes:

On a side note, the Luna team seems to be headed by some of the old Xbox team: Marc Whiten, Albert Penello among others. Not sure if this a good or bad thing.... Phil Harrison did a tremendous job with Stadia. :cool:

LOL

Knew about Albert. Didn't know about Marc. Albert position there makes sense now. I will definitely keep tabs on Luna. Stadia is a joke.

Tommy McClain

I will say this , it used to make my fire stick extremely hot and it would trigger it shutting down. So be careful on older fire sticks and the lot

significantly more expensive to run windows servers at the same time. ie _order magnitudes_ more expensive.
But if the difference is between shipping and not shipping, I get it.

Yeah I mean the main advantage is getting games on the platform. I'm guessing not a whole lot of work is required if there is a PC version of the game....

Xcloud has a slight bonus of being on mobile so no TV input lag which helps it shave some somewhat. It's still poor for twitch MP, I played Halo 5 and whilst I could play it was very disorientating and not ideal, a 30 fps shooter would be slightly better but I cannot see it ever being fun.

They need to get apps running native on TVs as anything via hdmi is doa I think.

The input lag on TV's is caused by the panel/post processing, not by HDMI. Running apps on the TV isn't going to change that. Also 60fps would feel better than 30fps as there would be less lag.

significantly more expensive to run windows servers at the same time. ie _order magnitudes_ more expensive.
But if the difference is between shipping and not shipping, I get it.

Do we know how much Amazon pays for licenses? Workplaces is pretty cheap, something like 7 dollars a month and I believe that includes the Windows license. Deduct whatever Amazon charges for the hardware, profit etc. and the license doesn't look that expensive?

And with no custom infra to deal with for Amazon orders having to adjust their games, the Windows license fee might actually be cheaper overall?

From what has been said, it's performance is around 8.1 TF Nvidia 2070.

I'm curious how they're handling the streaming aspects. Are they using an Amazon Device Driver for video scale out that handles all the nitty gritty, or is it something that games and game engines need to explicitly integrate with?

Back