Amazon Luna Cloud Gaming [2020]

mpg1

Veteran
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/24/21451371/amazon-luna-cloud-gaming-service-twitch-alexa-controller

At its 2020 hardware event today, Amazon announced a cloud gaming platform called Luna. The news isn’t too surprising: the service has been rumored since last year, previously codenamed “Tempo,” while an Amazon-made game controller leaked out just ahead of today’s event.

It’s not clear when Luna will launch widely, but it will initially be available on PC, Mac, Fire TV, and iPhone and iPad (via web apps), with an Android version planned for after launch. Amazon says that interested users in the US can request early access to the service starting today. There’s no word on international availability.

The service will be available for an “introductory price” of $5.99 a month during its early access phase, which gives subscribers the ability to play games across two devices simultaneously and offers 4K / 60fps resolution for “select titles.” Naturally, it will be powered by AWS, Amazon’s ubiquitous web platform.

image.0.png

dims

dims

dims

https://www.engadget.com/luna-amazon-cloud-gaming-interview-pwa-apple-173948922.html

image.0.png

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/24/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

It’s not clear when Luna will launch widely, but it will initially be available on PC, Mac, Fire TV, and iPhone and iPad (via web apps), with an Android version planned for after launch. Amazon says that interested users in the US can request early access to the service starting today. There’s no word on international availability.

Players who subscribe to this channel will have access to their favorite Ubisoft titles in up to 4K resolution, mobile gameplay, and access to new titles when the channel launches like Assassins Creed Valhalla, Far Cry 6, and Immortals Fenyx Rising the same day they release. This is the first of multiple Luna game channels in development, where customers can play games from their favorite publishers and genres.
And this is why I believe MS moved on Bethseda.

And this is why I believe MS moved on Bethseda

They've said for some time that they see Amazon and Google as their competitors. At first glance, this looks much more like the Gamepass competitor that Stada isn't.

Twitch is a huge string in Amazon's bow for promoting the thing to.

Ubisoft day 1 launches is a big deal.
Doesn't say the Ubisoft games are free with the service subscription though, seems to use marketing speak to phrase that paragraph. It states those who "subscribe" to the Ubisoft game channel.

They've said for some time that they see Amazon and Google as their competitors. At first glance, this looks much more like the Gamepass competitor that Stada isn't.

Twitch is a huge string in Amazon's bow for promoting the thing to.
Google had a way bigger platform to promote Stadia (!YouTube!) and couldn't do shit about it. People don't want to eat shit even if it smells and looks like peanut butter. Content & price is king. This is Stadia 1.01. But...Amazon& Google won't stop there even it this fails miserably...too much money to be made in the next decade. Microsoft is just the front runner for now (and probably the foreseeable future).

How are the iphone & ipad versions going to work?

Web apps in Safari...

What is Amazon Luna?
Luna is a cloud gaming service that lets you play games on compatible Fire TV, PC, and Mac devices as well as through web apps on iPhones and iPad.

What are the device requirements to play on Luna?
You can use the Luna app on:

• PC (requires Windows 10 with support for DirectX 11)
  • Mac (OSX 10.13+)
  • FireTV devices (Fire TV Stick - 2nd gen, Fire TV Stick 4K, or Fire TV Cube - 2nd gen)
Additionally you can use:

• Chrome web browser (version 83+) for PC and Mac
  • Safari web browser (iOS14) for iPhone and iPad

Tommy McClain

Google had a way bigger platform to promote Stadia (!YouTube!) and couldn't do shit about it. People don't want to eat shit even if it smells and looks like peanut butter. Content & price is king. This is Stadia 1.01. But...Amazon& Google won't stop there even it this fails miserably...too much money to be made in the next decade. Microsoft is just the front runner for now (and probably the foreseeable future).
i wonder if Facebook will also make a play in this space.

Is YouTube game streaming bigger than Twitch? I didn't think it was? The targeted element is important. Amazon having an offering that's not as silly as Google's helps too.

They'll need to allow other controllers/touch when they actually go live. The dedicated controller is too much of a barrier for "I'll give that a punt".

I relentlessly promoted streaming/Stadia until I tried it. The lag simply makes multiplayer unplayable. Dont let anybody tell you different, and whether it's Stadia, Luna, Geforce Now, Xcloud, doesn't matter, they're all shit, and all unplayable for twitch MP. Turns out none of them can get around the laws of physics. With so much of gaming on the ground now being MP (like fortnight), that's probably an intractable barrier.

I now see streaming as at best in the near term a fringe play. Something perhaps additive to what we have currently, not to replace it. Maybe 10% of the market or something.

Take my game Destiny for example. You cant play MP on it (lag). You probably cant even do difficult PVE (raids etc). You can do light PVE though (mindless bounties etc). I was recently thinking of selling my One X a few weeks early in prep for Series X. But I'm going to need one thing in Destiny for a seal thats not going to be available until the last week of the season, near Nov 10. So, I would have no way to do that objective. But then it occurred to me, I could just do it on Xcloud! No hardware (but an Android tablet or phone) even needed!

That's kind of a cool use case, but the fringe I'm talking about.

So I guess Luna is basically repackaged Stadia?

Xcloud has a slight bonus of being on mobile so no TV input lag which helps it shave some somewhat. It's still poor for twitch MP, I played Halo 5 and whilst I could play it was very disorientating and not ideal, a 30 fps shooter would be slightly better but I cannot see it ever being fun.

They need to get apps running native on TVs as anything via hdmi is doa I think.

Because Google Stadia was such a roaring success.

Back