Dirt 5 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

Curious what a few weeks will buy them when they may potentially be launching on 4 platforms instead of 2 with that November 6th date.

Curious what a few weeks will buy them when they may potentially be launching on 4 platforms instead of 2 with that November 6th date.
Three weeks doesn't sound much but it's the same amount of time Sony bumped The Last of Us Part II release, from 29 May to 19 June.

DIRT 5 will be a Launch Title for #XboxSeriesX and #XboxSeriesS, coming November 10!

To celebrate, our latest gameplay showcases an epic night race on New York's frozen East River

Using Xbox's Smart Delivery option, all DIRT 5 players on the current-gen console version, launching November 6, are entitled to a FREE upgrade to the optimised next-gen version from November 10

DIRT 5 will be a Launch Title for #XboxSeriesX and #XboxSeriesS, coming November 10!

To celebrate, our latest gameplay showcases an epic night race on New York's frozen East River

Using Xbox's Smart Delivery option, all DIRT 5 players on the current-gen console version, launching November 6, are entitled to a FREE upgrade to the optimised next-gen version from November 10

Shit that night ice racing looks hella fun lighting was great on the bridge

Anybody know if you can play this with a driving wheel? I have one for the PS4, hope they support that.

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on this, I think I will. I was going between this and Bright Memory for my last XSX game and I love my racers and I love Codemasters. Onrush is an awesome game and many are behind this. I think this will be a pick up. That ice track looks awesome.

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on this, I think I will. I was going between this and Bright Memory for my last XSX game and I love my racers and I love Codemasters. Onrush is an awesome game and many are behind this. I think this will be a pick up. That ice track looks awesome.

I really liked OnRush, it just stopped in away, there was no real progression in difficulty/skill or something. It just ended up being stickers and clothes and what not.

4K/Uncapped (Visual Mode)
1440p-2160p @ 60fps (Frame-Rate Mode)
1440p/120fps (120HZ Mode)

Edit:
https://press-start.com.au/previews/2020/10/12/dirt-5-xbox-series-x-hands-on-preview-feel-the-power/
Visual Mode
Booting up an unfinished build of Dirt 5 on my Xbox Series X, which is still operating a preview operating system, presented me with three options. Image Quality, Frame Rate, and 120Hz mode, the latter of which we’ll touch on a bit later. Playing in 4K, I started things off in Image Quality mode which seemed to be pushing 4K at an uncapped frame rate. As far as I can tell, the game was hitting 60FPS most of the time, only dropping below when there were more than a handful of cars on-screen or when some major was happening off-track.
Frame-Rate Mode
Frame Rate mode was an extremely consistent 60FPS without sacrificing visuals (I assume it was running in either 1800p or 4K). Both of these are fairly major accomplishments, with Dirt 5 looking extremely nice. Not only are the cars well detailed, picking up dirt and damage as you go along the track, but with dynamic weather, and constant visual effects in the form of fireworks or things flying through the air, Dirt 5 is an absolute visual delight on Xbox Series X.
120HZ Mode
At this point in time I don’t own an HDMI 2.1 TV, so I was unable to play at 4K/120Hz, but I was able to play at 1440P/120Hz using my monitor, and it was a fairly consistent 120FPS, but whilst Performance mode didn’t seem to remove anything visually from the game, there’s definitely some sacrifices made to hit the 120FPS target.
Load Times
Dirt 5’s load times on the Xbox Series X are blisteringly fast. From the second I clicked into the game, it took about fifteen seconds for me to be in the main menu, and a further thirteen seconds to get into a race. It’s just nice to be able to head into career, head back out and browse cars as I please without having to worry about any loading screens at all.

Last edited:
I love that they are offering multiple settings depending how whether you prefer smooth and responsive gameplay or if you'd rather just look at the graphics/screenshots.

Regards,
SB

Indeed. Hopefully they'll iron out the screen tearing before launch.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...he-120fps-difference-saves-a-rusty-ride/?s=09
The first major issue with DiRT 5 is how seemingly current-gen the whole game looks. When I think about the promise of Xbox Series or PlayStation 5, I look back at bullet-point lists in the recent hype cycle. Insane loading times. Virtual worlds that can stretch much further into the distance, owing to a faster I/O architecture. Larger crowds of people and vehicles, powered by a substantial boost to CPU specs. Incredible texture fidelity on people and terrain. Maybe some ray tracing (though, let's be real, we're still waiting on anything with ray tracing enabled to exceed 30fps on one of this year's consoles).
DiRT 5 fails to meet pretty much all of those bullet points. Generally, it looks like a current-gen console game that would have struggled to hit a smooth 60fps on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro, especially at resolutions higher than 1080p. I've seen crazier amounts of distant terrain and geometry in 60fps racers like OnRush, and I've seen more convincing foliage and weather effects in Forza Horizon 4 (which maxed at 30fps when it launched on Xbox One). Like other mainline entries in the series, this DiRT sequel sticks to formal racetracks with a mix of concrete and unfinished roads—not open-world romps. It looks so familiar, in fact, that if I told you all of the images in this article were from 2017's DiRT 4, you might believe me. (To be clear, all images in this article are from DiRT 5 on Xbox Series X.)
DiRT 5 includes three visual modes as options: "resolution," "frame rate," and "120 Hz." And all of the above complaints are compounded as you take each step toward lower detail.
In "resolution" mode, the game runs in an apparently uncapped frame rate; this bounces between 30fps and 60fps, which averages out to roughly 40fps. This mode's dynamic resolution maxes out near 2160p and falls as low as an apparent 1440p. (Compared to Xbox One's heavily aliased DiRT 4, the jump in resolution this time around is very appreciated.) Drop to DiRT 5's middle "frame rate" setting, and you'll see a mild hit to texture pop-in on the ground ahead of you, along with a noticeable hit to shadow pop-in in the near distance. Settings are otherwise mostly left intact, other than a dynamic resolution that scales down lower, while the frame rate gets close to, but doesn't lock to, 60fps.
The visual quality continues to dwindle when you take things all the way to 120fps mode, at which point major visual features disappear. The worst is an aggressive level-of-detail (LoD) downgrade for any elements near and above the race track. Mountains start to look less like mountains and more like college-grade assets purchased directly from the Unity development store. Tree-lined hillsides lose some trees. Cars lose polygonal detail and flourishes like grills. And the crowds of cheering fans sitting or standing by the road all disappear, even though the game's audio doesn't reflect this reality. (If you think fake crowds in pandemic sports games are bad enough, you ain't seen nothin'.)

I don't think cross generational multiplatform games are going to be hugely representative of what the Series X can do. I still think the game looks pretty nice and I'm glad that some developers are choosing to not lock to 4k as a requirement.

I wonder if the 120hz mode is an option on Series S?

Back