General external expansion discussion? *spawn*

I'm assuming a m.2 slot. Do you think they will have a priority system ?
A m2 slot and priority system in what hardware? I still don't know what hardware you're talking about. :???:

I still don't know what hardware you're talking about.

The PS5, as asked in his question.

So what happens if i take a current PCI-E 4 nvme drive that only does 4GB/s and put it in the ps5 ? What happens if I put in a PCI E 3.0 drive from 2013 that does 1.5GB/s . What if i buy the cheapest 6GB/s or 7GB/s nvme drive i can find but its trash and runs really hot ?

He's asking what happens in various scenarios of a user adding their own storage.

The PS5, as asked in his question.
Ah, apologies I missed that bit.

Sony have not clarified the process by which the PS5 qualifies a NVMe drive for use but I expect it be to an I/O stress test. So the first two scenarios/drives eastmen mentioned would fail this test and couldn't be used.

A cheap/fast drive might work, the only question is the thermals. I'd argue this is the drive's problem but if Sony put a thermal sensor in the enclosure to prevent stupidly hot drives, that could be a factor for rejecting it as suitable. I would be surprised though, although some drives have heatsinks and/or fans, they're not running at CPU/GPU temps.

But to be clear, we know - because Sony have said - PS5 will only support drives that are as fast managing the various priorities of traffic as the internal drive and because NVMe has fewer priority levels, the drive I/O actually needs to be faster overall than the internal drive.

What you see in the consumer space is cheap-to-manufacture (but high-priced) larger-node solid state semiconductor cells being used in drives which is fine when everybody has been bound by the PCI 3.x bus speeds since 2013/14. There are much faster solid state semiconductor cells but nobody is used these in drives intended to be plugged into a slow bus because that just would be stupid.

Are you expecting something else for the consumer space in a few years time? Larger nodes are used not only for cost, but for endurance. The smaller the node the lower the endurance of the NAND cells. Combined with lower endurance when go down the chain SLC - MLC - TLC - QLC, it becomes a serious problem.

This is why NAND capacity is being scaled via layers versus node shrinks when possible.

No, this is nothing alike. Seriously, really?!? :???: Sony did not limit what type of drive you can use in PS4 and there were consequences for devs for that lack of foresight, this is not the situation on PS5 as you well know, nor are Sony limiting options to one manufacturer. My post was about lack of consumer choice for expanding the Series S/X solid state storage by only having Seagate as an option where the option is, you buy Seagate or you f*** off. If Seagate want to charge over market price for capacity, you again have the choice to pay or to f*** off.

If Seagate want to promote their drives to PS5 onwers, they'll be competing on price with everybody else who also wishes to sell NVMe drives to PS5 owners.

That's the thing. Sony hasn't said anything about how or if they will qualify the drives. We know MS's solution to guaranteed minimum performance, but we have absolutely Zero idea of what Sony will do (if anything) to guarantee a minimum acceptable level of performance.

I'm assuming they'll do "something" but will it be enough? Or will developers have to potentially deal with users installing their game to a drive that is fine for the first few minutes but then performance drops as heat builds up, whether in the NAND chips or the controller. The controller is potentially the more serious chip requiring adequate cooling. At those speeds the controller chips get REALLY hot.

Hot enough that even 3 GB/s NVME drives in a USB C key style enclosure with a small heatsink will often heavily throttle. I'm going to assume that Sony plans on some form of active cooling for user added NVMEs. But we don't know.

That's the thing, we don't know because they haven't talked about it.

Regards,
SB

Are you expecting something else for the consumer space in a few years time? Larger nodes are used not only for cost, but for endurance. The smaller the node the lower the endurance of the NAND cells. Combined with lower endurance when go down the chain SLC - MLC - TLC - QLC, it becomes a serious problem.
Yes because small node solid state offers better performance at lower thermal output. Necessity will drive expansion - excuse the double pun!! :mrgreen:

That's the thing. Sony hasn't said anything about how or if they will qualify the drives. We know MS's solution to guaranteed minimum performance, but we have absolutely Zero idea of what Sony will do (if anything) to guarantee a minimum acceptable level of performance.

Does it matter what Sony actually do? They've said don't drives and they'll let people know later on which drives are compatible - perhaps like NAS box vendors. I think they will have an initial stress test of newly inserted and formatted drives in PS5 just to prevent hitches down the line. It seems the simplest solution. Any list to presumably just to help people make an informed choice. Clearly many didn't for PS4 which is why Spider-Man looks so terrible! :runaway:

I'm assuming they'll do "something" but will it be enough? Or will developers have to potentially deal with users installing their game to a drive that is fine for the first few minutes but then performance drops as heat builds up, whether in the NAND chips or the controller. The controller is potentially the more serious chip requiring adequate cooling. At those speeds the controller chips get REALLY hot./QUOTE]

You'll have to wait to find out. I'm sure these things have occurred to Sony given they spent a chunk of their R&D budget on a custom I/O controller capable of very high bandwidth.

Sony will more than likely Issue QVLs like every other hardware manufacture does and if its not on the list then they either put nvme into a non qualify mode or maybe just let the user continue at their own peril. I can't imagine a total lockout though.

Sony will more than likely Issue QVLs like every other hardware manufacture does and if its not on the list then they either put nvme into a non qualify mode or maybe just let the user continue at their own peril. I can't imagine a total lockout though.
I can very much can see them doing this. This is bad for devs, they don't want to have to plan for I/O slower than X. It's X, if your drive is X-1 then too bad.

Samsung has officially announced the price of their next gen SSD. $229 for 1TB 7GB/s and $149 for 500GB 6.9GB/s. Not bad at all for the asking price.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-980-pro-m-2-nvme-ssd-review

Especially considering there's no competition for those read speeds at the moment.

Though from anandtech's review, the drive isn't that useful for anything other than sustained read speeds on large files. I.e. it's only good for the PS5 lol.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagat...e-drive/6425015.p?skuId=6425015&intl=nosplash
$219.99 confirmed. Not cheap, but superfast (internal) NVMe SSDs aren't much cheaper.
SSD in the 2.4GB/s speed range is normally closer to $100 and you can buy Sabrent 1TB 5GB/s SSD (PCIe4x4) for $200 (basically double the Xbox SSD speed for a cheaper price).
Compared to Seagate own SSD offering tho, the price is actually around what you expected it to be.

edit: also regarding to PS5, I hope that they let people to use slower SSD as a cold storage or to play PS4 games if the speed is not up to their standard. It would be nice to be able to swap games from 5GB/s SSD vs from around 1GB/s SSD to USB.

Last edited:
$219.99 confirmed. Not cheap, but superfast (internal) NVMe SSDs aren't much cheaper.
Except this one isn't superfast?
As mentioned above, 1TB M.2 SSDs of similar speeds go for ~$100 nowadays, and they'll probably lower their price a lot faster than these proprietary cartridges.

OTOH, a NVMe that seems like a candidate to an expansion to the PS5 has appeared, and its launch MSRP is $230.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16087/the-samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-ssd-review

This one has a 7GB/s max read throughput, but there's no competition at this read speed class, so I'm guessing Samsung is trying to bank on early adopters of PS5 expansion drives.

Except this one isn't superfast?
As mentioned above, 1TB M.2 SSDs of similar speeds go for ~$100 nowadays, and they'll probably lower their price a lot faster than these proprietary cartridges.

OTOH, a NVMe that seems like a candidate to an expansion to the PS5 has appeared, and its launch MSRP is $230.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16087/the-samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-ssd-review

This one has a 7GB/s max read throughput, but there's no competition at this read speed class, so I'm guessing Samsung is trying to bank on early adopters of PS5 expansion drives.

Sabrent will release a 1 tb SSD 7 GB/s before end of year and they are often cheaper than Samsung.

The issue with sabrent is the recommended(?) giant size heatsink. Not sure if sabrent would work without overheating in ps5 or not. Probably ps5 has some kind of cooling solution for ssd but would it be enough?

upload_2020-9-24_8-46-17.png

Maybe the heat production is exponential. Potentially finetuning performance back to 6GB/s and having some cooling in ps5 would be enough to make sabrent work. Sabrent could do ps5 optimizations in their firmware. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Any way, at least for me 825gb/1TB internal memory will last for couple of years if not more. By that time be it ps5 or xbox I expect the extension storage has become cheaper and hence also more mature(less heat, bigger sizes). Old BC games I'm willing to stick to cheaper regular ssd/hdd which I believe both consoles support.

The issue with sabrent is the recommended(?) giant size heatsink. Not sure if sabrent would work without overheating on ps5 or not

View attachment 4674
That is probably one of the thing that some people have been asked. Does PS5 comes with a cooling system for the SSD expansion or not.
My mainboard comes with a heatsink for the Nvme PCIe4x4 slot, not for the NVme PCIe3x2 slot. Since PS5 is a closed system, it would be better if the cooling system is covered by the system itself so you don't have to worry whether the custom cooling system will fit or not. Of course this would mean that they need to do a bit of guesswork on how much cooling would a PCIe4x4 at max speed need.

We'll find out after November 12th when we have the first Tear Down, likely from iFixIt before even a Cerny/Sony tear down.

Back