Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

I have two 7" Kids Edition tablets that my kids use, but not sure I would buy one for myself. I want Android 10 pre-installed not Amazon's Fire OS. I've seen where you can root it & get Google Play & regular Android OS on it but I don't want to mess with that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wished MS made this prototype tablet controller they worked on. Then I wouldn't need a controller clip/mount.

28557.jpg

Tommy McClain
bro you just said as cheap as possible and I delievered lol

bro you just said as cheap as possible and I delievered lol

Sorry, but it's not guaranteed to work on Amazon devices...

Minimum System Requirements for Android
OS Version of Device

Must be on Android 6.0 or greater
Note: Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) is not currently supported on devices that run modified, alternate, or emulated versions of Android OS such as with (including, but not limited to) Chrome OS, Fire OS, OxygenOS, Android TV, Android Auto, or BlueStacks.

I'm already having a problem with my Chromebook. Need a device that just works with no hacking or fuss.

Tommy McClain

Got xCloud running on my Chromebook finally. Not currently playable as I'm a getting green screen refresh problem that makes it unplayable. Officially Chrome OS(as well as any other modified, alternate, or emulated versions of Android OS) is not supported though. Submitted feedback but doubt it gets looked into. Guess I need another Android phone or tablet. Any suggestions in the 6"-8" size? Needs to be super cheap since it will be just a xCloud device & not replace my phone.
Have you tried one of the Android emulators for ChromeOS? I don't have either but know people that do use these although not for xCloud.

Have you tried one of the Android emulators for ChromeOS? I don't have either but know people that do use these although not for xCloud.

First I have heard of those, but if the built-in support for Android apps that I'm already using isn't working well, I doubt the emulator would work either. I will check into though, thanks.

Tommy McClain

First I have heard of those, but if the built-in support for Android apps that I'm already using isn't working well, I doubt the emulator would work either. I will check into though, thanks.
Again, not a personal follower/user of Android or ChromeOS, but I know ChromeOS support of Android apps has got better but if there are still Android emulators then that suggests that there is probably still a need for them because they must offer something ChromeOS's nascent support doesn't. You only have time to lose! :yes:

Again, not a personal follower/user of Android or ChromeOS, but I know ChromeOS support of Android apps has got better but if there are still Android emulators then that suggests that there is probably still a need for them because they must offer something ChromeOS's nascent support doesn't. You only have time to lose! :yes:

Yeah, time is of the essence. This is why I don't play games on the PC anymore.

Tommy McClain

I have not since a few months back during the initial alpha phases.

Has a go at Minecraft Dungeons as it has dedicated touch controls. That was a surprisingly good experience.

Also had a poot along in Hotshot Racing when sat near the router with a pad and it worked quite well.

Just tried Minecraft Dungeons away from the house. My phone network is terrible. Thought the custom button controls that match game UI was cool. Thought they would be generic. Will try again when I get home.

BTW, tried Hotshot Racing after watching Digital Foundry's video. That was definitely a nostalgic trip & a bit of fun. I recommend if you ever liked the old arcade racers.

Tommy McClain

Just tried Minecraft Dungeons away from the house. My phone network is terrible. Thought the custom button controls that match game UI was cool. Thought they would be generic. Will try again when I get home.
So people can see what you mean.
Minecraft Dungeons touch controls.

So people can see what you mean.
Minecraft Dungeons touch controls.

Touch controls worked quite well once I got home & on wifi. Definitely for smaller screens < 8". Still prefer the controller over touch though.

Tommy McClain

Anybody trying out their free cloud games yet?

There are 172 of them to play...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/14/cloud-gaming-with-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/

Tommy McClain

I had given up on the beta as pairing the pad via Bluetooth seemed to make it forget it's Xbox pairing. It was a pain to swap back and forth.

Last week I received a work laptop with a USB c hub adapter. I just checked connected the pad via USB A and I could play regular game pass games.

I might use it a little more with this, not quite as portable given the wires but far quicker to setup.

Lag was about the same but the Hotshot racing was playable with a bit of learning on the delay. It would have felt tighter has I not been playing it locally just before.

It really is a great inclusion for gamepass.

Edit: I might investigate an otg adapter as that should be inline and mean the pad to phone mount might work.

I had given up on the beta as pairing the pad via Bluetooth seemed to make it forget it's Xbox pairing. It was a pain to swap back and forth.

This is the biggest annoyance with Bluetooth and bluetooth devices. There has to be a better way. I wonder if there is scope for controllers to be firmware updated to store multiple bluetooth profiles that you can switch between using Start+A, Start+B, Start+X or Start+Y. Surely this is not beyond science as we know it!! :runaway:

My portable cheap as all get out Bluetooth Keyboard and Headphone Adapter can do it, so why can't any other devices? now if I remember how to switch them is another story. It takes a while to remember, but I eventually get it.

My portable cheap as all get out Bluetooth Keyboard and Headphone Adapter can do it, so why can't any other devices? now if I remember how to switch them is another story. It takes a while to remember, but I eventually get it.
I think my Nintendo ripoff 8bitdo controller does this as well. It's probably where I blatantly stole got the idea.

Apparent wired controllers work now, so I dug out USB A->C adaptor I'd squirrelled away just for the purpose. One of the dogs has managed to chew it at some point. Guess that's the problem with squirrelling things. :(

Apparent wired controllers work now, so I dug out USB A->C adaptor I'd squirrelled away just for the purpose. One of the dogs has managed to chew it at some point. Guess that's the problem with squirrelling things. :(

I was using a wired controller (360) months ago in beta. My adapter was fine but the connection to my phone was problematic. I needed to hold it in place, because of wear from being plugged in thousands of times. It worked fine aside from that.

Reactions: Jay
Back