How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Wait, did this actually happen in meaningful numbers or is it an urban legend, as I assumed it is? Lots of people really bought the One X by mistake?

It’s discontinued. So very very few purchases would cause it to spike several times over.
Yea its discontinued so can't see how they were bought, swear hasn't been any stock for months now.

Don't they usually have a link or something to more recent model?

Yea its discontinued so can't see how they were bought, swear hasn't been any stock for months now.

Don't they usually have a link or something to more recent model?
some very specific resellers, that hold onto the last One X, and pricing it very high instead of pricing it to sell.

some very specific resellers, that hold onto the last One X, and pricing it very high instead of pricing it to sell.
I'm surprised so many day one buyers would make that mistake.

Guess that percentage jump is from a very low amount so it looks a lot more worse than it possibly may be.

Yikes. Can’t say I didn’t see that happening. I can only hope bots screwed up or that people are interested in discontinued products/collectors stuff

It was be truly karmic if most of these were scalper bots. :yes:

Amazon didn't do it any favors by not really having a page or section for next-gen for either Sony or Microsoft, at least not that I could find.

Amazon UK did a feature page for PlayStation 5 which included options to buy all the accessories - controller, camera, headphones, charging station, media remote. Series X was just unceremoniously dropped into the inventory without even any links to additional controllers. Neither launch was technically brilliant, Amazon UK's original posting for Series X keep crashing and for PS5 Amazon UK decided to release accessory stock randomly over the day - presumably to keep you coming back.

Man! You put my heart in my throat! I was actually desperately reading through my email receipt!

The allotments were larger than for PS5? They just seem so scarce I thought the numbers would be about even.

Yes I agree. In trying to preorder both the Xbox seemed to sell out more instantly to me (literally the sites I was on just pretty much crashed at 10 AM). BUT you have to account that Xbox had a set time, giving everybody including bots and scalpers notice, where PS5 was kind of per retailer and a surprise, so presumably the flood of traffic would be less.

The Gamespot pre-order allocations I saw seemed very low and similar to PS5 for Xbox too. Just a few per store were typically mentioned.

In conclusion, *shrug*

The Microsoft Store had other deals that you could get when you pre-ordered. I didn't pay much attention, but at least one of them was $10 off a new controller. I think there was deals on Gift Cards & Subscriptions too?

Tommy McClain

The Gamespot pre-order allocations I saw seemed very low and similar to PS5 for Xbox too. Just a few per store were typically mentioned.

In conclusion, *shrug*

Game Stop is going to be out of business before too long. Low allocations there is not a big surprise.

Tommy McClain

It basically confirms what we've heard anecdotally, that there is less product available from Sony.
well to be fair, Xbox sold their full allocation of units from yesterday to Nov 10. That sort of leaves October to be a free win for Sony if they release a block of consoles that month.
When November launch day rolls around, that will be interesting because Nov 10 is Xbox's second block. Not sure if Sony will delay their blocks and release all their pre-orders in early Nov to get the marketing win in Nov.

well to be fair, Xbox sold their full allocation of units from yesterday to Nov 10. That sort of leaves October to be a free win for Sony if they release a block of consoles that month.
When November launch day rolls around, that will be interesting because Nov 10 is Xbox's second block. Not sure if Sony will delay their blocks and release all their pre-orders in early Nov to get the marketing win in Nov.

The crown for November will go to whichever of them produced and shipped the most through November.

I am certain there will be units available at major retailers for launch from both MS and Sony that were not pre sold. We don't know how many Sony will make available for preorder in October and we don't know who has produced more units. We just know MS has allocated more at this time.

Back