Gamepass reach 15 millions subscriber

not bad, a 50% increase in a little time. Xbox Live Gold has to go though
It's a weirdly massive leap from a few months back. It's like a massive number of Xbox owners are working their way through a bunch of games before they switch to PS5 in November.

Prove me wrong. :runaway: /joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say though that for me it was a $1 way to try Flight Simulator 2020.

But although I enjoyed trying it out once, neither have held my interest as of yet. May give it a few months though before I cancel, as $4 a month is still a nice price.

Thanks, I don't suppose there's a chart anywhere that gives you the best VFM when using reward points? I have 43500 saved up - looking at this I can get 2 x 3 months and top up my 2 years of GPU with another 100 days? Would I be better off waiting for a potential black friday deal?

Ah, I had a thought, do they still add a month for each top up if you have the auto-renew on?

Reddit for MicrosoftRewards may have a link as part of the FAQ listing the best redemption to points.

As to the bonus month when you have auto-renewal turned off and let them turn it on when redeeming, I got that once but then the second time it didn't give the bonus month. Seems to vary from what others reported as well.

The last time I redeemed to add time I used the Hot Deal of ~ 28K for 3 months of GPU code (normal is 35K with the tier 2 discount). I haven't seen any Hot Deals on those codes since then, sometime last year or very early this year.

Have to say though that for me it was a $1 way to try Flight Simulator 2020.

But although I enjoyed trying it out once, neither have held my interest as of yet. May give it a few months though before I cancel, as $4 a month is still a nice price.

It's actually $5 but going up to $10 now it's out of beta

Do we know this number (15M) is cumulative subscribers or concurrent subscribers?

(Cumulative subscribers = the number of subscribers who buy Gamepass at least once

Concurrent subscribers = the number of total subscribers who still buys GP NOW)

Do we know this number (15M) is cumulative subscribers or concurrent subscribers?

(Cumulative subscribers = the number of subscribers who buy Gamepass at least once

Concurrent subscribers = the number of total subscribers who still buys GP NOW)

This number is always active subs, so the latter.

Do we have any info to know this (the number represents active subscribers)?

Aren't they inactive subscribers?
Typically when reporting on this type of thing you would have two metrics here: subscribers and you have Churn. Churn is calculated at the end of the month/qtr as subscribers loss. And that's usually displayed as a percentage. You wouldn't mix it with subscribers and you wouldn't tally inactive subscribers. You wouldn't bother with cumulative subscribers either, there's no value in that. Any subscription model (tv, phone etc) is subscribers and churn.

You would look at Net Adds and Net Loss when you are reporting at the moment (ie end of week 1 within the month, or end of month).

Then you would look at Subscribers and Churn (total losses for month or quarter / total subscribers last month or quarter) as your summary values.

ie last month you had 100,000 subscribers
You gained 10,000 subscribers
You lost 5000 subscribers
your churn% is 5000 / 100,000
your subscribers is what you have currently or in this case 105,000.
Conversely growth % is same as churn but with net adds instead.

We were effectively given end of Q2 subscriber numbers since their end of Q4 update.

Last edited:
Oh, right. Yeah, that seems a bit odd it would let you extend anything beyond the 36 month wall.
some people are using the most complex strategies to get as many months as possible for little money, up to 4 years of gamepass for only 36$ and things like that. It works like a charm, at least for now.

btw
5oxEtXB.png

Out of sheer curiosity, do you all think 2021 the year that we will see Gamepass featured on televisions similarly like Netflix and Hulu is.

3.99 in euroland ... but going up to 9.99 euro from 17 Oct. So will give it a hard look then and probably pass on it ...
3,99€ for now, yes. Last time I checked though, if you are new to the service it's only 1€ a month, once that month expired then it would be the typical 3,99€/9,99€

Out of sheer curiosity, do you all think 2021 the year that we will see Gamepass featured on televisions similarly like Netflix and Hulu is.
Probably not until the user base is much, much larger. It was a long while before Netflix functionality was a basic feature of smart TVs and, as somebody mentioned in a similar discussion on this earlier in the year, not all TV hardware is well suited to this. A dongle could be an inexpensive interim solution. Wifi to your router for xCloud, Blue-tooth for the Xbox (or other supported) controller.

Probably not until the user base is much, much larger. It was a long while before Netflix functionality was a basic feature of smart TVs and, as somebody mentioned in a similar discussion on this earlier in the year, not all TV hardware is well suited to this. A dongle could be an inexpensive interim solution. Wifi to your router for xCloud, Blue-tooth for the Xbox (or other supported) controller.
Yea, the latency is going to be really bad with tv app.

Like you say dongle, but I would hope they use their custom wifi connection instead of Bluetooth as I believe that has less latency, maybe include both.

Would need to come in at under $50?

Back