How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Bit too soon to say. The S isn't aimed at people who log on at 8am and start hitting f5. :)

Where is your proof preorder demand doesn't correlate with demand?

I cant imagine a popular electronics product that doesn't preorder well. That would almost not make sense, since if there is demand to come there would be scalpers involved.

Good on MS for manufacturing more X though. It will be the primary console going forward. I do wonder if they knew that, or simply wanted to lose less $ on the S (rumor that they lose more per XSS unit) and actually expected it to sell better.

I’ve never done anything like this other than for one concert I think. Otherwise it has always just been preordering in time. Never had to queue for a preorder ... Most extreme for gaming hardware has probably been preordering a PSP from Japan at launch. I had it delivered on the 17th of December 2004 I think.

That seems sooo long ago!

Do you get preorder queues in the US?
I don't know what that is.

That you really want a Series X? :LOL: I'm 49, mate, age means nothing. The number of people who think games are for kids is dwindling and I find it's generally a view held by old people who remember Pacman and Space Invaders and don't know the medium has moved on.

Still feels a bit crazy. He'll with it. A second person just showed. Maybe I am not so crazy after all?

I mean, we're pretty much all there with you in spirit. :)

LoL It's cold man! Gut it out. That's what I tell myself!

You've inadvertently answered. Two people constitute a queue.

Ah. I thought you meant something more specific. Like vouchers being handed out and those without told they are out of luck. They do that sometimes here. Means people can go home and come back or at least wait in their car.

Looks like there are still preorders for the Series S available in the UK and none for the Series X.

(Scroll past X to get to S)

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-xbox-series-x

Glad to see most people are sensibly holding out for the better console.

Anyone have any insights on the stock allocations of the four consoles? Would be interesting to know if Series X and S combined have similar allocations when compared to the two PS5s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the preference for the X will hold till fall 2021. Also MS don't want to use the little TMSC resources for S now. If Sony has really trouble with silicon it's Ps5 may be little and convince in the meantime some people to move to XSX.

Series X hasn't made it into the top 50 best sellers on Amazon yet. Wonder what the actual stock allocation was?

I think the preference for the X will hold till fall 2021. Also MS don't want to use the little TMSC resources for S now. If Sony has really trouble with silicon it's Ps5 may be little and convince in the meantime some people to move to XSX.
You still harping on about Sony having trouble with the silicon. When are you going to learn? And if they don't have trouble, are more people going to buy the PS5 then?

There is a Bloomberg news about that. What shall I learn ? [emoji15]
So you saying your post are regarding the Bloomberg new that said Sony was decreasing amounts by 4 million? Yet Sony and AMD have confirmed that there is no issues with the PS5 silicon. Yet you carry on about trouble with the silicon.

So you saying your post are regarding the Bloomberg new that said Sony was decreasing amounts by 4 million? Yet Sony and AMD have confirmed that there is no issues with the PS5 silicon. Yet you carry on about trouble with the silicon.
I said "if Sony ha really trouble"... Didn't say "Sony has trouble !"... But you, you so sure about zero problems, look at the orders and how they are going on with available quantities (also XSX has not such big quantities available). What's wrong ? Nothing ?! Normal situations at launch ? Hope....

Huh that is interesting, has anyone been calling up Gamestops, etc to see what the launch allocation of each is? I was full expecting it to mirror the PS3 20/60, Xbox 360/Starter and PS5/DE situation with a smaller allocation of the lower cost unit selling out first. Of course as I type this I realise that in my examples the differentiator between the models is storage not perf and storage. I still expect series S to be a long term win for MS, maybe it will just be a slow burn unlike the barnstormer I was expecting

Huh that is interesting, has anyone been calling up Gamestops, etc to see what the launch allocation of each is? I was full expecting it to mirror the PS3 20/60, Xbox 360/Starter and PS5/DE situation with a smaller allocation of the lower cost unit selling out first. Of course as I type this I realise that in my examples the differentiator between the models is storage not perf and storage. I still expect series S to be a long term win for MS, maybe it will just be a slow burn unlike the barnstormer I was expecting
XSX in Italy: 9 each shop available.... this is what they said. Really tiny quantities.

Back