Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any rumor for microphone buying Japan or Asia studios?

For some reason, all those western RPG from obsidian, Bethesda, etc, didn't click with me. Except skyrim, oblivion, and witcher 3.

But even then, those games unable to grip me tightly like lost odyssey, dragon's dogma, various final fantasies, radiata stories, star ocean, artonelico, etc

Haven't seen any but if MS want to splash out similar money to Zenimax then Square Enix, Sega and Capcom are within reach.

Square-Enix market cap is $7.6B. Not purchase price of course. It is a public company on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Share price - 63.77. I am sure the Japanese government would have something to say about this. Not sure how the actual personnel would feel about it either. That is before we hit the general outrage that one would cause.

I think that Asobo would be a great choice for Microsoft, they could make A Plague Tale exclusive and thus have more narrative third person games, make it a medieval The Last of Us.

I agree, Asobo would be a great get for Microsoft.

I agree, Asobo would be a great get for Microsoft.
Asobo also has people who have been doing work with HoloLens. And Flight Simulator is doing really well.

But I feel like if Asobo wanted to be purchased it probably would have happened by now?

Asobo also has people who have been doing work with HoloLens. And Flight Simulator is doing really well.

But I feel like if Asobo wanted to be purchased it probably would have happened by now?

Or could be part of the batch rumored for early 2021?

Any rumor for microphone buying Japan or Asia studios?

For some reason, all those western RPG from obsidian, Bethesda, etc, didn't click with me. Except skyrim, oblivion, and witcher 3.

But even then, those games unable to grip me tightly like lost odyssey, dragon's dogma, various final fantasies, radiata stories, star ocean, artonelico, etc

Tango Gameworks was part of ZeniMax and is ran by Shinji Mikami.

Instead of spending 7 billion buying up a single company and gaining control of a few IPs
I wonder how it would of been if for the same cash, they picked 100 promising indie studios, given each 50 million and said make your dream game.
The xbox would be overwhelmed with games coming out in 1-4 years, each month 2-5 exclusive games, sure half are prolly crap, but there would be the occasional gem.
Personally I think taking a chance like this would of be far far far more successful instead of doing another rare / liongames / ensemble i.e their track record on purchasing big video game companies is pretty poor

Its not too late, MS heed my advice!!!

Instead of spending 7 billion buying up a single company and gaining control of a few IPs
I wonder how it would of been if for the same cash, they picked 100 promising indie studios, given each 50 million and said make your dream game.
The xbox would be overwhelmed with games coming out in 1-4 years, each month 2-5 exclusive games, sure half are prolly crap, but there would be the occasional gem.
Personally I think taking a chance like this would of be far far far more successful instead of doing another rare / liongames / ensemble i.e their track record on purchasing big video game companies is pretty poor

Its not too late, MS heed my advice!!!

Where are those indie studios going to get the staff to make a $50m game? How are they going to manage the considerable challenges of scaling to that many people? How will they retain what made them unique when they have 100+ staff? Is the occasion gem enough to help promote Gamepass when its flooded with garbage?

I like the sentiment of your plan. In practice, not so much.

It's not just the IP MS bought. Its a 2000 strong company that known how to make interesting, largish budget games. The big hitters aside, they'll produce things that keep the service news worthy and hard to leave.

Last edited:
It all looks like trivial amounts when you leave the zeros off. :D

Ubisoft surprised me. I thought they'd be a bit higher. I don't think they'd be an easy purchase. They've managed to keep EA a bay for years.

Same with Moon.
These types of studios were the type of studios that MS is most keen on grabbing. Smaller AA cost level studios that have a great ability to deliver titles on time.

the studios may not be public, so the owners are just sitting on it

It's not just the IP MS bought. Its a 2000 strong company that known how to make interesting, largish budget games. The big hitters aside, they'll produce things that keep the service news worthy and hard to leave.
Yup, Microsoft have bought teams that work well and have games in development so will have product to release sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back