Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media (Bethesda, id Software, Arkane + 5 more) [2020-09-21, 2021-03-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Titanfall get any platform exclusivity at all?

I thought Titanfall got killed by the success of Apex Legends.

TitanFall 1 was xbox one exclusive near launch. Titan fall 2 was released on ps4 and xbox one . The problem is they sent it to die with a bunch of other releases. The rational that i heard is that the property wasn't theirs still

MS isn't going to do that with any of these titles. Ms needs more content so all these franchises will get follow ups.

Stadia R.I.P

That did not register with me initially. This was one of Stadia's major gets. I wonder how that will play out now, aside from finishing out whatever contracts exists. I doubt new contracts will form between these studios and Stadia.

I think MS would've been better creating a $7.5B indie fund, and funding many many times the number of titles based on interesting and unique game pitches, than one AAA publisher/studio can output.

Does this mean I’ll lose Doom? That’s harsh.
Did you play Doom on console? You don't own a PC?

Stadia R.I.P
Yes, google is going to lose the whole (figurative) $5 they invested in the platform.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As if a half-assed attempt at entering a cut-throat market like videogames was ever going to be successful for Google.

I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing another major one soon...
Care to elaborate?

New I think MS would've been better creating a $7.5B indie fund, and funding hundreds of smaller indie titles based on interesting and unique game pitches.
That would flood Microsoft's library with tens of thousands of pixel art rogue-likes and visual novels that absolutely no one would play except for the families and friends of their developers.

Did Titanfall get any platform exclusivity at all?

I thought Titanfall got killed by the success of Apex Legends.

Titanfall 1 was released on XBO and PC. On PC never had a huge userbase, and XBO poor early sales didn't help it either.

When TF2 was released, first EA chose the worst time to release it (between COD and BF1?) and because PS fans never got to play the first one, didn't care about buying the sequel, and it was a total disaster to the point that TF3 will probably never be released.. Apex did inflate some life into the franchise but it's nothing like TF1. The game is awesome tho, although it sacrifice its fast movement for a more casual experience.

I am not too bothered if MS decides to go exclusive with the games as I can play on my PC. I don't think I have ever bought any of the games for my PS4 although do have on my PC. Not even Dishonered or Dishonered 2(unfortuanately).

Last edited:
Titanfall 1 was released on XBO and PC. On PC never had a huge userbase, and XBO poor early sales didn't help it either.

When TF2 was released, first EA chose the worst time to release it (between COD and BF1?) and because PS fans never got to play the first one, didn't care about buying the sequel, and it was a total disaster to the TF3 is not coming possibly ever. Apex did inflate some life into the franchise but it's nothing like TF1. The game is awesome tho, although it sacrifice it's fast movement for a more casual experience.
But TF1 is a purely multiplayer game, right?
PS4 players never really lost anything for not playing TF1.

Perhaps TF2 should have never had the "2" in the name, as that suggests there's a story prequel out there.

Perhaps TF2 should have never had the "2" in the name, as that suggests there's a story prequel out there.

They lost one of the most amazing combat experiences on an FPS. However, I must admit it was hard and you could get completely destroyed in MP during your first 20-30 matches which wasn't fun.

TF2 has a great SP campaign. Probably the best since the MW games.

That would flood Microsoft's library with tens of thousands of pixel art rogue-likes and visual novels that absolutely no one would play except for the families and friends of their developers.
I think you reacted to the word indie and assumed I meant the 'pixel art rogue-likes and visual novels'. Nothing wrong with 2d pixel art games per se, but I'm also talking about titles like Rocket League or Fall Guys.

I just noticed something. I wonder what is going to happen with the exclusive console deals Sony had with the various studios i.e. Ghostwire and Deathloop. Will those exclusive deals still hold up or will Sony get a refund?

Yes and no. Initially there was storylines told through means of videos communication chatter as you loaded into Multiplayer across the 8 maps? However, as time went on, that was mostly removed or made impossible to do from start to finish. So it was a bit experimental. It was an attempt to give more depth to the universe of Titanfall without having the major expense of single player campaign development.

Meanwhile TitanFall 2 has amazing single player campaign. Truly proper and best of breed.

Both games have such amazing multiplayer appeal. It's a shame there likely won't be a TF3 from aspect of single player campaign and multiplayer versus.

I just noticed something. I wonder what is going to happen with the exclusive console deals Sony had with the various studios i.e. Ghostwire and Deathloop. Will those exclusive deals still hold up or will Sony get a refund?
They'll keep

Nothing changes:
Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."
Microsoft to Buy Bethesda for $7.5 Billion to Boost Xbox - Bloomberg

You just need Game Pass & a PC or Android device if you don't want to own a Xbox. ;)

Tommy McClain
I have a feeling they'll keep existing franchises MP. I don't think MS want the reputation of forcing people over to MS. There is still profit to be made with these titles that are already being built for Playstation.

The newer IP stuff will be locked to Xbox platform. I think the reason they did this is really to capture that Android market, not to mention put some muscle behind a very weak launch that has been largely shat on. Ideally this pressures Apple to open up, even though they won't. But if enough people start thinking, my next phone is android because Apple won't let us play Stadia/Now/Pass/Fortnite on it, then this is the type of pressure they want to build.

They don't plan to buy Zenimax. The deal is done. Zenimax is privately held, this is not like if the company was public.

They don't plan to buy Zenimax. The deal is done. Zenimax is privately held, this is not like if the company was public.
what is the official name for the conglomerate of studios under zenimax?

edit: nvm, zenimax studios

Last edited:
Care to elaborate?

Remember all those rumors of Sony trying to acquire ZeniMax - that was true. However, something changed during negotiations. From my understanding, Sony started looking at other potential deals (sidelining ZeniMax talks) surrounding Warner Bros. game studios being potentially sold-off by AT&T, which Microsoft was also pursuing as well. But... we know how that ended. Anyhow, ZeniMax wasn't too pleased and here we are today... Microsoft completely grinning from ear to ear.

But, Sony executives are still talking to AT&T behind the scenes from what I hear... so there maybe some hope for Sony fanboys wanting ammo in the never ending console wars.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SNE/sony/cash-on-hand

Sony cash on hand for the quarter ending June 30, 2020 was $33.058B, a 39.25% increase year-over-year.

They can afford a major play if they wish. That is a significant chunk of the ready reserve though.

I expect another big studio purchase like this announced early next year most likely. I also expect a few smaller purchases over the next year

I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing another major one soon...

You guys are killing me (us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back