Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media (Bethesda, id Software, Arkane + 5 more) [2020-09-21, 2021-03-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's bonkers. Are they buying them to prevent future games being released on other platforms?

When they purchased Mojang, Minecraft continued to get updates being released on other consoles...
With that kind of money I think they will still release multiplatform games on PS, but the newer games probably will be Xbox timed exclusive.

Now, about those id software devs that complain about XsS.... heh

They're still releasing new games on other platforms like Ori on the Nintendo Switch.
Yeah I'm less concerned with Microsoft gobbling up game studios than Sony.

Btw with Microsoft gobbling up studios, I wonder if the people behind freelancer got back under Microsoft. A new freelancer would be nice

With that kind of money I think they will still release multiplatform games on PS, but the newer games probably will be Xbox timed exclusive.

Now, about those id software devs that complain about XsS.... heh

Imagine how quickly the OG investors verbally nuked those id devs.

Bethesda is saying on their webpage that they are still the publishers for their own games?

Not sure this is a good idea especially for $7.5 billion. I don't think they'll get back any significant returns from the purchase.

Yes, it certainly suggest they may still be multi platform. I doubt it'll be clarified until after pre orders go live, if then.
Probably still further away. They expected the acquisition to close in the 2nd half of fiscal year 2021, so mid next year the earliest.

From what I can remember, in the US the two companies still have to operate as separate entities until the merger is completed. That is even beyond getting the needed regulatory approvals. Usually that is at least 6 months out, if not more.

Buying a whole company because of one slightly negative Series S tweet seems a bit excessive. :)

Haha! First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was those iD guys' tweets.

On an unrelated note, take a wild guess at which two developers are now going to have to make sure their games run and look okay on Series S. :yes:

What do you guys think of these comments from ID Software? Is a lower rendering resolution and texture resolution not enough? Does the RT BVHs need the same amount of memory regardless of rendering resolution?

Really bummed about this RAM situation on the Series S. This isn't easy to compensate and drags down base spec quite a bit for next gen multi platform. RAM increase was already small compared to previous gen, now it's almost non existent. RT BVHs also need a lot of mem on top.
— Axel Gneiting (@axelgneiting) September 10, 2020

The memory situation is a big issue on the S. The much lower amount of memory and the split memory banks with drastically slower speeds will be a major issue. Aggressively lowering the render resolutions will marginally help but will not completely counteract the deficiencies.
— Billy Khan✨ (@billykhan) September 10, 2020

I think we now know why they were told to delete those tweets, lol.
id Software is now a Microsoft 1st-party.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-21-xbox-buys-bethesda-parent-zenimax

I hope this happens. It would give me an reasonable out from boycotting zenimax owned IP's. Yes, I know I'm forever salty about the oculus/carmack law suit.ä

edit. Oh, it already happened. This is great!

giphy.gif

Shit is wild yo!

I'm really curious what they're strategy is going to be in terms of exclusives. It would honestly be weird to buy them and not get some exclusives out of it, but it would also be weird to make all of it exclusive. Obviously they wouldn't change the plans for anything that's already been announced for PS. I'd think people would be pissed if Fallout was suddenly Xbox only. Maybe Microsoft wouldn't care and they'd just do it anyway.

I still don't like the idea of Microsoft and Sony buying shit up and turning it exclusive. A future with less exclusives is better than a future with more exclusives.

I will say, Halo multiplayer on idtech would be veeeeery interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back