Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media (Bethesda, id Software, Arkane + 5 more) [2020-09-21, 2021-03-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Xbox really is the home to RPG's and first-person shooters now. Impressive catalogue of games and IP's to add to the roster.

Holy shit. I hope they don't go full exclusive with Doom or Wolfenstein. Titanfall got killed because of that.

edit: 7.5 billion is a loooot of money. Fallout76 must be a cash cow for the operation to make sense

edit2: Insomniac was 229M$. Ted Prize must feel robbed right now, holy shit.

Blocking Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Doom from the PS5 would indeed be a substantial blow to Sony, even if these are typically favored on the PC.

edit: 7.5 billion is a loooot of money. Fallout76 must be a cash cow for the operation to make sense
More like the perspective of an Elder Scrolls VI than anything else IMO.
Skyrim became a culture icon of this last decade, it definitely made over $1B if I had to guess.

edit2: Insomniac was 229M$. Ted Prize must feel robbed right now, holy shit.
That's one studio. Zenimax is a whole publisher with a dozen studios and much more valuable IP.

Blocking Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Doom from the PS5 would indeed be a substantial blow to Sony, even if these are typically favored on the PC.

More like the perspective of an Elder Scrolls VI than anything else IMO.
Skyrim became a culture icon of this last decade, it definitely made over $1B if I had to guess.

I think it will be a Minecraft situation. Limiting platforms is a sure way to not recover the investment ever.

Let's not forget that DeathLoop is timed exclusive on PS5 so MS is going to release a PS5 exclusive. Lol. Unless they breach the contract in which I guess they would have to pay Sony for damages.

That's bonkers. Are they buying them to prevent future games being released on other platforms?

When they purchased Mojang, Minecraft continued to get updates being released on other consoles...

That's bonkers. Are they buying them to prevent future games being released on other platforms?

When they purchased Mojang, Minecraft continued to get updates being released on other consoles...

They're still releasing new games on other platforms like Ori on the Nintendo Switch.

Buying a whole company because of one slightly negative Series S tweet seems a bit excessive.
lol

all the devs are going to start talking hard shit now! Your consoles are shit MS! Dare you to buy me out!

Joking aside, they may continue to release multiplatforms as they are.
Newer IPs may go exclusive though. I see this as them building up their portfolio for Gamepass/XCloud, and not exactly as a method to take titles away from other platforms.

Can't say I like this for the industry.

If the future is services, then this is like the movie industry in the late 80s, early 90s. Big producers are going to own 90% of the studios. I wouldn't worry about blocking IPs from being released on other platforms, that would a PR nightmare plus it wouldn't make any sense from a financial perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back