Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who’s done any serious tuning/Overclocking knows how quickly power consumption scales up trying to chase frequency. Also frequency doesn’t always give linear performance gains if you hit other bottlenecks esp on GPUs in actual workloads vs synthetics. Good luck sustaining 2230 :)
What the power supply spec on PS5 and XsX told us is that PS5 PSU can draw more power than XsX but not necessarily use more power.
Having said that, It is very likely that PS5 will draw more power at peak and that is why they have bigger PSU (in terms of wattage) vs XsX, because they need to maintain 2.23GHz clock for most of the time.
Consoles don't really draw anywhere close to their max PSU rating tho. PS4 is drawing around 150W max with 250W PSU. Xbox360 drawing around 160W with 245W PSU. PS4pro is drawing around 165W with 310W PSU.
*they probably do it to hit close to where the PSU have its max efficiency and at the same time to avoid stressing the PSU.

yikes. Glad my pc goes under my desk behind a small set of draws from ikea

they did a whole set and its spread out of diffrent tweets

this is my fav
EiVzQlxVkAEllgp

Bloody hell, it's a beast.

Glad it's gonna be locked away in the boys' room.

Ehhh.
Sigh.

I’m still gonna try to get one for launch; but this ain’t the excitement I thought I would feel. Can’t hide that sucker anywhere

Maybe AMD rdna2 GPUs will use SFS as well. Maybe not.

MS says SFS can reduce memory usage by more than 60%. If I interpret it correctly, this method can thus be used effectively as a memory multiplier for textures and/or to save a lot of bandwidth.
If this is true the SFS will be great for the relatively low bandwidth of the Series S.
This can explain the great results obtained with Gears5... almost in pair with the RTX3080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back