Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Correct. Nothing special. So no way to use PS4 physical games on PS5 DE.

Here's the full footnote disclaimer @ https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/

1 Upgrade may be offered at no additional cost or for a fee and may be available for a limited time. If players have a PS4™ game on Blu-ray™ Disc, they will need to insert the PS4 game disc to see the upgrade path, download the PS5 version and keep the PS4™ game disc inserted each time they play the PS5™ version of the game. To upgrade eligible PS4 disc titles to digital PS5 versions, players need a PS5™ console with a disc drive
That seems entirely reasonable and should be expected, though the limited redemption window is a little onerous. Means I have to pay attention to which games get patched when and make sure I insert in that window even if I don't intend to play in that time frame.

That seems entirely reasonable and should be expected, though the limited redemption window is a little onerous. Means I have to pay attention to which games get patched when and make sure I insert in that window even if I don't intend to play in that time frame.
What about new accounts ? Are they eligible to redeem ps4 to ps5 games also in the future ? Or should be an old account, I mean a today account ? Hope I let myself understand... Ha ha. Used ps4 disks are IMHO soon to value almost zero.... Going to sell the few I have left today [emoji1]

What about new accounts ? Are they eligible to redeem ps4 to ps5 games also in the future ? Or should be an old account, I mean a today account ? Hope I let myself understand... Ha ha. Used ps4 disks are IMHO soon to value almost zero.... Going to sell the few I have left today [emoji1]
It'll still need the disc to verify ownership, so I don't expect them to be valued to zero anytime soon.

The redeem I suspect will be possible only for today accounts and only once per each console... Sony decided to make a harsh cut to physical... this is my impression. Who loves the physical media is better moves to Microsoft. In XSX you may play with even original Xbox disks almost 20 years old..

Agreed, but hopefully that's the exception, not the rule, and their wording is just standard protection against litigation.

Agreed, but hopefully that's the exception, not the rule, and their wording is just standard protection against litigation.
Of course there is the relationship with the publishers... it's not only Sony's fault this situation. MS emulate perfectly the previous gens so this doesn't apply to them IMHO... or much more marginally.

Correct. Nothing special. So no way to use PS4 physical games on PS5 DE.

Here's the full footnote disclaimer @ https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/

1 Upgrade may be offered at no additional cost or for a fee and may be available for a limited time. If players have a PS4™ game on Blu-ray™ Disc, they will need to insert the PS4 game disc to see the upgrade path, download the PS5 version and keep the PS4™ game disc inserted each time they play the PS5™ version of the game. To upgrade eligible PS4 disc titles to digital PS5 versions, players need a PS5™ console with a disc drive
How's that going to work without a DRM service similar to MS's announcement that created an outcry with XBOX One?
The way I read this you have two options: 1) play the game with PS5 enhancements via a PS4 disk or 2) you can get the free digital version for PS5 without needing the disk anymore by going through some unexplained process that initially requires the PS4 disk.
Unless what it means is that the PS5 identifies the PS4 game and downloads the PS5 version digitally but the disk is still a requirement to play

I think the only disc I have is Killzone I’m guessing, probably as a free pack-in somewhere with the first or second PS4 I bought or something like that can’t even remember. Not sure if I’ve ever even used it. I switched to all digital somewhere during the PS3 days (though I do still have a lot of PS3 discs!).

I'm not sure why people are pre-ordering any of these consoles. Feels like we still getting drips of important info on things like BC, haven't see the consoles perform, noise tests, etc...
I can't speak for how retailers work everywhere but it costs nothing to pre-order a console in the UK. I can cancel at any time. So pre-order and wait for the info, then if you don't like something about PS5/XSX/XSS you can cancel at no cost. But I know I want a PS5, it will play games my PS4 cannot and play PS4 games better than my PS4 Pro - how much, who knows but at minimum it's going to spend so much less time loading and plenty of games will get patched. Cyberpunk 2077 is getting an initial nextgen optimisation patch on day 1 with a full fat nextgen patch next year.

Skeptical view says its not, as its simply where Sony can claim "its not up to us, its up to the individual publishers".
It would cost but there is an incentive for letting me send my PS4 disc and giving me a digital code. I can never sell that disc, that's one potential lost second-hand sale that has disappeared. Digital

If PS5 reserves disk space for updates like PS4 did, it'll fill up even faster. Let's hope they revamp their distribution backend...

It doesn't, this was covered in the Mark Cerny talk. Some PS4 patches will result in a whole new series of game file being written and so old and new both exist at the same time. This is intended to improve HDD seek and read times which are not a consideration on an SSD.

This is a business decison. People who buy the PS4 version will have an inferior game from a visual point of view but some people don't want to buy a console first year. And it will look at least as good as HZD on PS4. And it is a good business decision on PS5 too because PS5 games will not look like PS4 upres game with a little RT. In this case probably people would not want to buy the PS5 version at all.

It's a cross-gen game, just like spiderman is, indeed a business decision. The PS4/PS5 versions wont be worlds apart, from what weve seen, yes perfectly possible on PS4 by traditional scaling. Like jim ryan noted, PS4 users get the same experiences.
And yes, people do buy new hardware just to get better framerates, higher settings, ray tracing, faster loading.....
Seems to have hit hard with the 3/4 years cross gen thingy, it will take time to adjust i suppose.

It's a cross-gen game, just like spiderman is, indeed a business decision. The PS4/PS5 versions wont be worlds apart, from what weve seen, yes perfectly possible on PS4 by traditional scaling. Like jim ryan noted, PS4 users get the same experiences.
And yes, people do buy new hardware just to get better framerates, higher settings, ray tracing, faster loading.....
Seems to have hit hard with the 3/4 years cross gen thingy, it will take time to adjust i suppose.

Again they change the asset.

A classic cross gen games look like this with the PC version and this was my fear a classic cross gen games.

PS4 Pro version same assets, this looks like the same with just some improvement on PC side they added interaction Alloy with vegetation, better water, improve LOD, better res and framerate.

Spiderman Miles Morales they have two set of assets one for PS5 and one for PS4. On PS4 the game will look like Spiderman PS4 2018. Horizon 2 wil look like a little bit better than HZD on PS4.

The PS4 version will not look like this at all.

This is the reason Horizon 2 is one of the best looking launch windowd PS5 game. This is impossible with PS4 Assets. And this is the reason the Horizon 2 PS5 trailer looks much better than HZD PC version.

For Horizon 2 I expect a HZD PS4 looking a bit better, they probably did not fully push PS4.

Saying they will look the same is a nonsense. We just have to wait only two months. From the moment they told this I was knowing if the game design was crippled by PS4 version at least PS5 version will not look like a souped up PS4 Pro++ version or multiplatform PC version.

The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again

If Spiderman remastered was like TLOU Remastered a up res of Spiderman PS4, I think it means it need to be a free upgrade because ND work a lot on TLOU Remastered to move everything from PS3 architecture to x86 architecture but upres and improve the framerate is probably very easy between PS4 and PS5,

Last edited:
So RedGamingTech on youtube went into some detail on how the boosting variable clocks work on the PS5, seems his sources are suggesting a worst case scenario of a 3% drop and that is for only some frames (if I've understood him correctly).

Worth a watch;

I haven't seen any of those rumours until now. But imo, I didn't like the his reasons for debunking. The rumours are certainly not believable for different reasons, but imo, not for any of the reasons provided.

The simple answer to look at power consumption differences between CPU and GPU. If Power Shift would be able to showcase that for the CPU to feed the GPU would be disproportionally a larger drop in power reduction to increase the GPU by a little bit more. Or a small drop in GPU should be able to feed the CPU significantly. The rumour numbers provided don't suggest this at all, particularly the last one. That would have been a simple litmus test to go with.

Secondly smart profiles/locked profiles are an absolutely must, there's no reason to get rid of them even if the profiles get better. If you are trying to maximize a variable clock system, that's like trying to screw in 2 boards together without locking either of them into position. At least the CPU or GPU should be locked during the optimization process. You cannot maximize both CPU and GPU in such a way to get the maximum swing on both of them while being variable. Ultimately developers will have to aim for a performance level below maximum.

The upside of course is that you get more performance out of that smaller chip and the developer can suitably use the hardware to be focused on what they require, so either more CPU performance or more GPU performance.

Also:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...kux_p8mu51_zSPvNhZK9gsSXKXE6y-ubgzDLtHmpGh6Kc

Sony reveals the install size of some of its PS5 games
it's clear that if you're sticking with the PS5's internal storage, it may fill up fast.

YIKES! So it seems devs choice of how to go about the fact storage is at a premium this gen really is: Fuck-You!™
Thanks devs.

I dont get this, today PS4 comes with 500GB and 1TB and Spiderman install on my PS4Pro is 72.28GB.

PS5 comes with 825 GB and according to the article the remastered Spiderman + Miles Morales Spiderman comes in at 105GB. So the 1.5 games on PS5 is 30GB larger than 1 game on PS4.

I did notice it says minimum installation, but I can not remember anything about what that actually means, anybody know?

I did notice it says minimum installation, but I can not remember anything about what that actually means, anybody know?
I believe they do this in case future patches make the game larger.

I dont get this, today PS4 comes with 500GB and 1TB and Spiderman install on my PS4Pro is 72.28GB.

And Sony have stated Miles Morales is 50Gb, so the PS5 remaster of 2018's Spider-Man with improved everything is 55Gb, so smaller than the PS4 install. What do people want, magic? :???:

I believe they do this in case future patches make the game larger.

And Sony have stated Miles Morales is 50Gb, so the PS5 remaster of 2018's Spider-Man with improved everything is 55Gb, so smaller than the PS4 install. What do people want, magic? :???:

I wasn't expecting the SM+MM combo to take as much as two completely different games. I naively thought they'd try to do something clever and leverage reused assets between the two games to reduce storage needs. I was wrong.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting the SM+MM combo to take as much as two completely different games. I naively thought they'd try to do somethinf clever and leverage reused assets between the two games to reduce storage needs. I was wrong.
I think Miles Morales takes place in winter so I bet they have built two versions of New York. But that would have been cool! :yes:

Back