Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

From the gameplay video, I have found Ray Tracing artefacts around the shadows. It means the Ray Traced shadows are activated even in the performance mode.

AUw3WFu.jpg

Ray traced shadows artefacts reference:
render_blender-render_lighting_shadows_raytraced-properties_cube-soft1-samples2.jpg

Original png:
https://i.ibb.co/JR97QDK/vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h37m00s972.png

I'm not sure that's enough to know it RT. It's fairly common to sample regular shadowmaps with per-pixel offsets to help filtering that result in very simmilar dithered artifacts.

I'm not sure that's enough to know it RT. It's fairly common to sample regular shadowmaps with per-pixel offsets to help filtering that result in very simmilar dithered artifacts.

No but the softness and accuracy, with multiple shadows correctly casting from multiple lights certainly is a big tell-tale.

Was the trailer 4K?

Is it really gonna be 4k 60fps with rt? Unless 120fps is the performance mode.

"captured on ps4 pro" tsushima and last of us 2 trailers looked better on several things compared to retail.

Was the trailer 4K?

Is it really gonna be 4k 60fps with rt? Unless 120fps is the performance mode.

"captured on ps4 pro" tsushima and last of us 2 trailers looked better on several things compared to retail.

I think it is 1440p with temporal reconstruction but no sure . For the moment no one said it is not 4k 60 fps maybe Digitalfoundry will do an analysis. The trailer is coming two months before release, this is probably nearly final code.

I have pixel counted one image at 1440p (that's when I accidentally found the RT shadows artefacts). DF already found either 1440p or 2160p (I think) in the first trailer. I think it's going to be 1440p60fps + RT or 2160p30fps + RT, the only difference being the resolution.

But I really like the fact that they have shown the performance mode here. They really understand their public.

I have pixel counted one image at 1440p (that's when I accidentally found the RT shadows artefacts). DF already found either 1440p or 2160p (I think) in the first trailer. I think it's going to be 1440p60fps + RT or 2160p30fps + RT, the only difference being the resolution.

But I really like the fact that they have shown the performance mode here. They really understand their public.

This implies theres no DLSS amd variant then? They could have gotten both otherwise 2160p60fps + RT.

This implies theres no DLSS amd variant then? They could have gotten both otherwise 2160p60fps + RT.
Who cares? For many (including some PC gamers) it's the most impressive next-gen game they have seen.

Halo Infinite is 4K60fps, do those specs make it look great? Resolution doesn't matter anymore with all those techs. The most important now is density of assets and quality of lighting like displayed in Demon's Souls or UE5 tech demo, both running at 1440p + TAA.

And you should know even on XSX you'll never see the same DLSS tech seen on Nvidia cards. Those cards have more powerful and dedicated cores (like 2-4 times faster) independant from the shaders.

Who cares? For many (including some PC gamers) it's the most impressive next-gen game they have seen.

Halo Infinite is 4K60fps, do those specs make it look great? Resolution doesn't matter anymore with all those techs. The most important now is density of assets and quality of lighting like displayed in Demon's Souls or UE5 tech demo, both running at 1440p + TAA.

And you should know even on XSX you'll never see the same DLSS tech seen on Nvidia cards. Those cards have more powerful and dedicated cores (like 2-4 times faster) independant from the shaders.

Including some PC gamers, yes, some are easily impressed perhaps. Theres casual pc gamers too you know.
I wasn't implying the XSX would have DLSS, probably in the same boat as the PS5 in that regard. Resolution does matter. DLSS tech can a 1080p game look like a 4k one or even better. That frees up alot of resources to graphics. Perhaps we could have seen true next gen graphics that way, instead of like DS, a game looking great but not that true next gen leap many expected.

Also, UE5 tech demo is ahead of what DS is doing.

Wait a little Deep learning reconstruction is not possible only on Nvidia card.

Last edited:

Thanks.

While there's supposedly youtube compression thingie, I can't really tell watching on half a feet away from a 14" 4K laptop screen.
I was eyeballing it compared to Miles 4K both from Same ps official channel and unreal engine 5 demo from unreal official channel. Made sure the streams were 4K.
I thought Miles looked slightly sharper but I wasn't sure.
Native 4K seems like a waste at least for now, imo if majority won't be able to tell.

Maybe there should be a blind test for 3/4 res of 4K with some good console upscaling vs native 4K just to be sure that offering more performance for graphics is a much better investment than native 4k.

I think it is 1440p with temporal reconstruction but no sure . For the moment no one said it is not 4k 60 fps maybe Digitalfoundry will do an analysis. The trailer is coming two months before release, this is probably nearly final code.

I sure hope so. Nothing's stopping them releasing a slightly souped up gameplay trailer though and at the end of the day, I really do believe most won't be able to tell unless they watch a digitalfoundry videon zooming in and pausing slides.

Your comment betrays that gamer-point-of-view missconception that assumes these features behave like flip-switches from the developers perspective. Things like DLSS only are simply a button on the setting menus of finished games. For devs, these are actually techniques, that have to be constructed and implemented using the tools at their disposal, which are incredibly open-ended.

Yes, AMD does not have a DLSS button on their GPUs, and neither has NVIDIA. What they both have are cores that can do compute really quickly. NVIDIA created, in software, after years of research, a technique that can make their open-ended compute machine result in NN image reconstruction, and they called it DLSS. Sometimes it has used general CUDA cores, sometimes it has leveraged their specialized tensor cores. There still is no DLSS button inside their GPUs.

Has anybody at this point figured out another software solution that can achieve similar results to those of DLSS that is performant on AMD's Navi hardware. It's possible, but I would bet improbable at this point in time. Can it happen throughout this gen? Totally, and I consider it very likely.

Last edited:
Well bought the game. Never played Demon's Souls original since I never owned a PS3 and I couldn't get into Boodborne(got lost immediately in the game) although it will be available also via the PS Plus Collection so I will get that a try again when I can. I am looking forward to Demon's Souls though, if for anything, the graphics on my 4K at 60fps.

Never ever seen a video from Max before, but this popped up in my YT homepage. He seems really enthused.

Well bought the game. Never played Demon's Souls original since I never owned a PS3 and I couldn't get into Boodborne(got lost immediately in the game) although it will be available also via the PS Plus Collection so I will get that a try again when I can. I am looking forward to Demon's Souls though, if for anything, the graphics on my 4K at 60fps.

Never ever seen a video from Max before, but this popped up in my YT homepage. He seems really enthused.

Max is great! As for the 'soulsborne' kind of games, I don't want to kill your mood but they're very much a love-hate kind of thing. I would seriously recommend trying Bloodborne or even Dark Souls 3 (don't bother with the older ones at this moment of time) and really give them a try, to see if you're the kind of gamer who will actually enjoy this type of game or not. They're super cheap on the PSN.

Because, graphics or not, if you hate them, then you will hate Demon Souls and there is no eye candy that will fix that.

My recommendation is to push through the initial pain (and some of the ridiculously tough bosses) and give them a real try. They are incredible games, but most definitely not for everyone.

Max is great! As for the 'soulsborne' kind of games, I don't want to kill your mood but they're very much a love-hate kind of thing. I would seriously recommend trying Bloodborne or even Dark Souls 3 (don't bother with the older ones at this moment of time) and really give them a try, to see if you're the kind of gamer who will actually enjoy this type of game or not. They're super cheap on the PSN.

Because, graphics or not, if you hate them, then you will hate Demon Souls and there is no eye candy that will fix that.

My recommendation is to push through the initial pain (and some of the ridiculously tough bosses) and give them a real try. They are incredible games, but most definitely not for everyone.
I found following a guide made the whole process much easier on my soul. To be able to gather better equipment and gear etc. Made the whole experience much easier. Trying to do everythign from scratch knowing nothing about the world and mechanics, etc, you're going to have to love dying. Luckily the SSDs make this much more palatable, but I hated dying on xbox. DS3 was my first souls game.... it was uhh punishing to lose your souls

I found following a guide made the whole process much easier on my soul. To be able to gather better equipment and gear etc. Made the whole experience much easier. Trying to do everythign from scratch knowing nothing about the world and mechanics, etc, you're going to have to love dying. Luckily the SSDs make this much more palatable, but I hated dying on xbox. DS3 was my first souls game.... it was uhh punishing to lose your souls
Yep. Just the quality of life improvements like no loading and a stabel 60fps will make the Souls games so much better. As for the guides, absolutely. The games tell you so little about how anything works, that I don't even know how I would be able to complete them without Youtube/guides. Heck, I missed entire sections of the game and only ever realised they were even there from looking at guides!

Yep. Just the quality of life improvements like no loading and a stabel 60fps will make the Souls games so much better. As for the guides, absolutely. The games tell you so little about how anything works, that I don't even know how I would be able to complete them without Youtube/guides. Heck, I missed entire sections of the game and only ever realised they were even there from looking at guides!
Yeah, I was completely lost with Bloodborne. Also didn't help that the graphics aren't amazing as I remember it. I am hoping the PS5 Bloodborne Collection is a lot better. I am willing to give it a go though.

Yeah, I was completely lost with Bloodborne. Also didn't help that the graphics aren't amazing as I remember it. I am hoping the PS5 Bloodborne Collection is a lot better. I am willing to give it a go though.
The problem with BB is that it never got a Pro patch, which I find shocking. DS3 uses the same souped up engine and it looks very similar in lots of ways to BB, with the added benefit of having a Pro mode so it runs and looks much better.

The problem with BB is that it never got a Pro patch, which I find shocking. DS3 uses the same souped up engine and it looks very similar in lots of ways to BB, with the added benefit of having a Pro mode so it runs and looks much better.
seems like it could be coming with PS5, hopefully more details on the PS+ collection and how they are enchanted

Back