Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Well they cancelled my (and others) PS4 preorder back in 2013 and they have cancelled pre-orders for other products for fairly random reasons as well. How have you not heard about GAME. They are pretty notorious for technical issues cancelling pre-orders in the UK.

Any company always on the verge of administration may be desperate enough to sell things they don't have!

Wait WHAT. How do I not know any of this. I know EVERYTHING.

Oh I will put my worst Karen on if they try to fuck me over, I swear.

I get the pre-order anxiety. I did so at two different retailers and feel bad because I know someone else is being pushed back in the queue as a result.

Seems Europe has a weird/different system. In USA, usually if you can secure a prerorder, you are guaranteed a system (I suppose some rogue local store or small retailer could screw this up, but it generally holds). In EU seems you just go in an endless line and may be waiting ages.

I can’t say I’ve had major issues with Game, but I order in store and then go to the midnight launches.

My pre order at Very was cancelled due to insufficient stock - and they had it for sale for a bit after my sale went through...they took the fecking money right away too the cheeky feckers.

I bet if I had an account (ie paid on the never never) they wouldn’t have cancelled me.

What's the story on PS4 compatibility?

Sony says 99 % of games will be compatible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/...ercent-backward-compatible-ps4-games-jim-ryan

But will it play PS4 games at PS4 Pro level or better, maybe upscaled to 1440p or better?

Cerny's presentation is best source for how bc works. This is the picture he showed and talked about. Picture in retrospect also shows no ps3 and no ps2 support. Which games work on which mode is unknown. He also talked about some boosted bc mode with better perf but that is even more unclear.

3644975-etablrtu0ae8zfq.jpg

It would be nice to see actual BC gameplay on PS5 and not "PS4 and PS4Pro captured footage shown as example of PS5 Experience"

It would motivate me to pick up a PS5 sooner than later.

Because the launch lineup doesn't seem to have anything that I'd be in a hurry to play.

So if I could play the best PS4 games, many of which are discounted now, at PS4 Pro or better levels, that would be a big incentive.

Cerny's presentation is best source for how bc works. This is the picture he showed and talked about. Picture in retrospect also shows no ps3 and no ps2 support. Which games work on which mode is unknown. He also talked about some boosted bc mode with better perf but that is even more unclear.

Even if “legacy mode” means limiting CPU/GPU clocks to the base/Pro clocks and CU counts, you’d still get the IPC/efficiency improvements that should help games max out their framerate and dynamic resolution caps. Bloodborne, unpatched AC Unity and Marvel’s Avengers all seem like obvious hour one (hurry up!) tests for different reasons (frame pacing, ~40fps avg to 60?, ~20fps to 30? respectively), including early- vs late-gen.

Even if “legacy mode” means limiting CPU/GPU clocks to the base/Pro clocks and CU counts, you’d still get the IPC/efficiency improvements that should help games max out their framerate and dynamic resolution caps. Bloodborne, unpatched AC Unity and Marvel’s Avengers all seem like obvious hour one (hurry up!) tests for different reasons (frame pacing, ~40fps avg to 60?, ~20fps to 30? respectively), including early- vs late-gen.
hmm... I'm not entirely sure about that. if they make you download a copy of the game, then yes. If it can run the binary straight from disc install unmodified, I don't believe so anymore. GCNs ran on a 4 clock instruction cycle. RDNA2 issues a new one each clock cycle. If the latter, then they must have some sort of GCN mode or something.

What's the story on PS4 compatibility?

Sony says 99 % of games will be compatible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/...ercent-backward-compatible-ps4-games-jim-ryan

But will it play PS4 games at PS4 Pro level or better, maybe upscaled to 1440p or better?

If unpatched for the PS5, games designed only for the PS4 will run on the PS5's PS4 legacy mode, whereas games designed for the PS4 and Pro will run on the PS5's PS4 Pro legacy mode.

Some games won't work, although that seems to be a vanishingly small amount, judging by the recent "99% compatibility" statement.

Any PS4 games released after June/July this year have to be natively compatible with the PS5, as per Sony's terms. Given the gulf in CPU and GPU power between the PS4 Pro and PS5, you can safely expect the PS5-native version of post-June/July PS4 games to play at 60fps, as that's the most straightforward way to take advantage of the greater than doubled clockspeeds

Oh good, someone else is asking...

And maybe this someone else will listen. You've been relentlessly bleating on about this matter no matter what you're told. Is this your new "16 Jaguar cores"? Can we expect 2 years of you going on about this in spite of the preponderance of evidence and well informed opinions around you?

hmm... I'm not entirely sure about that. if they make you download a copy of the game, then yes. If it can run the binary straight from disc install unmodified, I don't believe so anymore. GCNs ran on a 4 clock instruction cycle. RDNA2 issues a new one each clock cycle. If the latter, then they must have some sort of GCN mode or something.

It depends on what Sony's done though, in terms of backwards compatible features in their APU design. We certainly saw a bunch of patents pertaining to the likes of spoofing clocks.

So if Sony are able to make the game code think it sees a GCN GPU, we may see performance improvements akin to running non-Pro-enhanced games on the PS4 Pro with boost mode turned on. Which isn't exactly something to be excited about, because it didn't really do much of anything...

I remember being quite excited at the possibility of Bloodborne's frame pacing being solved by boost mode... no such luck ☹️ So I really hope Sony have invested some resources in getting it to run properly on the PS5, given its presence in the PS+ Collection.

If unpatched for the PS5, games designed only for the PS4 will run on the PS5's PS4 legacy mode, whereas games designed for the PS4 and Pro will run on the PS5's PS4 Pro legacy mode.

Some games won't work, although that seems to be a vanishingly small amount, judging by the recent "99% compatibility" statement.

Any PS4 games released after June/July this year have to be natively compatible with the PS5, as per Sony's terms. Given the gulf in CPU and GPU power between the PS4 Pro and PS5, you can safely expect the PS5-native version of post-June/July PS4 games to play at 60fps, as that's the most straightforward way to take advantage of the greater than doubled clockspeeds

And maybe this someone else will listen. You've been relentlessly bleating on about this matter no matter what you're told. Is this your new "16 Jaguar cores"? Can we expect 2 years of you going on about this in spite of the preponderance of evidence and well informed opinions around you?

It depends on what Sony's done though, in terms of backwards compatible features in their APU design. We certainly saw a bunch of patents pertaining to the likes of spoofing clocks.

So if Sony are able to make the game code think it sees a GCN GPU, we may see performance improvements akin to running non-Pro-enhanced games on the PS4 Pro with boost mode turned on. Which isn't exactly something to be excited about, because it didn't really do much of anything...

I remember being quite excited at the possibility of Bloodborne's frame pacing being solved by boost mode... no such luck [emoji3525] So I really hope Sony have invested some resources in getting it to run properly on the PS5, given its presence in the PS+ Collection.
Well I said also things that then where true to the digits.
Ok you have evidence. Show them please.

I think RDNA might just be binary compatible with GCN, it has a wave64 mode, and if you look at the ISA most instructions look the same.

I get the pre-order anxiety. I did so at two different retailers and feel bad because I know someone else is being pushed back in the queue as a result.
Ditto, but I slept pretty well last night. I look at it like this. When I release my backup pre-order, somebody who was disappointed will slot in line to get a PS5 they never expected. I am bringing surprise joy to somebody later in the year! :yes: You're welcome, mystery PS5 customer.

I can’t say I’ve had major issues with Game, but I order in store and then go to the midnight launches.

And most of my GAME purchases have been fine. I picked my PS3 in store but after he PS4 issue and the stories I've seen in Eurogamer over the years about other GAME online pre-order mess-ups I decided to still to Amazon as my primary hardware supplier. Buying from Amazon does mean I get nothing until between 3pm and 6pm but that's fine. on 19th November I will probably be backing up all my PS5 game to an external HDD ready for transferring to PS5 and it's Cyberpunk 2077 launch day too! And I'm working! :runaway:

It would be nice to see actual BC gameplay on PS5 and not "PS4 and PS4Pro captured footage shown as example of PS5 Experience"

Sony have a lot they need to show the millions who have now pre-ordered their giant boxes of promises. They dropped a few UI hints during their first games conference so we now the UI is different. But how different? What's new? What's changed? What's missing? Show folks what to expect from backwards compatibility. If it's not going to offer massive leaps and bounces in terms of performance tell people now so as to manage expectations. Disappointment now will transform into acceptance over time. Disappointment at launch will mute launch buzz. How do people manage their PS4 and PS5 libraries across the internal SSD, expansion SSD and any attached HDD? Is there a benefit for having an external SSD (instead of HDD)? I'd like to know all this so I can get all this stuff before my PS5 arrives.

Back in 2013 Sony spent a chunk of their February 2013 reveal showing the UI, the social aspects, suspend/resume (which didn't actually appear for a year!) and things like remote control to/from other PS4s and Vita. They couldn't show everything but you immediately knew what your day-today PS4 experience would like.

edit: grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems Europe has a weird/different system. In USA, usually if you can secure a prerorder, you are guaranteed a system (I suppose some rogue local store or small retailer could screw this up, but it generally holds). In EU seems you just go in an endless line and may be waiting ages.
In the EU (and many other places like Australia, New Zealands, Japan, Korea etc) sales are heavily regulated by consumer protection laws and pre-orders are often considered a contract of sale (even without a deposit) in any countries. It's also quite common for countries with good consumer protection laws to includes provision that before a retailer can make a sale (i.e. pre-orders in many places) they need to have reasonable assurance they can deliver that product so it's common for pre-orders to be limited to the launch allocation of stock that Sony tell retailers they will get. Sony will lowball initial launch allocation numbers and when they are certain they can provide more stock, retailers fulfilled more pre-orders or work through their backlist of people who expressed interest.

So not actually "weird", we in the EU and other civilised countries consider this "normal". :yep2: In the USA, as far as can I tell, it's basically like a Mad Max movie but without the humanity.

And in some stores, preorder and reservation are not the same thing, strangely. On paper, a preorder guaranties you the good. Because they "presale" what they will have in stock on day 1. While a reservation doesn't guaranties anything if their first stock runs out.

"
When a product is announced we begin by offering our customers the possibility of reserving and pre-ordering that product before the sales start date. The amount of products available for pre-order, however, is limited. This means we can run out of our pre-allocated stock which also means we can’t ensure you’ll be amongst the first batch of customers to receive a pre-ordered product.

In the event that this happens, we’ll still allow you to reserve a product but will only be able to ship it once we’ve received additional stock. We will, of course, provide you with an estimated date of additional stock availability. This additional stock can be reserved as opposed to pre-ordered."

Anyway... everybody will be fine :)

And in some stores, preorder and reservation are not the same thing, strangely. On paper, a preorder guaranties you the good. Because they "presale" what they will have in stock on day 1. While a reservation doesn't guaranties anything if their first stock runs out.
Very true. And it can also depend how you pre-order. In the UK we have something called Distance Selling Regulations which applies in all cases where you make a sale (or pre-order) online or in some other remote way, e.g. mail order, which convey addition protections. You have considerable more consumer rights when you buy online than if you buy in person in store.

There are always things that can go wrong like pre-orders being cancelled for weird technical issue like GAME seem plagued by. I also had my Switch pre-order with Amazon technically cancelled because when I pre-ordered I used a card that had expired by the time it came time for payment but Amazon CS sorted it. It's very difficult to actually lose money buying from a business online in the UK, the most you should incur is some disappointment if a pre-order is cancelled and you can't get your shiny thing on day one.

Back