Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Q: Is Sony doing per batch? Or is this something you’re used to for your local retailer?
Well the PS4 was very limited initially when it came out in South Africa beginning 2014 as we weren't in the 2013 release timeframe I eventually got mine at begining March 2014. It was the first PS4 I found so I bought it. It was the Second Son and Killzone Edition.

At least this time it seems that pre-orders were available for 19 Nov however I missed out. It was good to see the second batch 2-3 weeks after inital batch so that's likely mid Dec. I am ok with that. I just completed my pre-order on the second batch(1 per customer). :D

It's a local retailer that has online presence.

Last edited:
No interviews on special hardware features and demonstrations, no BC demonstration with any kind of enhancements, no menu demonstration, no OS improvements and features shown,

What I found a little odd was they didn't use a PS5 for showing actual PS4 / 4Pro titles running in BC. They had some wording about "simulated PS4 gameplay" or something like that and not their typical "Captured on a PS5".

I don’t understand people acting like PS5 has no games.

PS4 launch was basically Killzone, Knack, and Resogun.

PS5 has Sackboy, Miles Morales, Demon’s Souls, and Godfall in terms of platform exclusives. Their announced lineup for the first 14 months is incredible when you add in Ratchet, Deathloop, HZDFW, and now GoW.
How can you forget Astro's Playroom? :devilish: :yep2:

I don’t understand people acting like PS5 has no games.

PS4 launch was basically Killzone, Knack, and Resogun.

PS5 has Sackboy, Miles Morales, Demon’s Souls, and Godfall in terms of platform exclusives. Their announced lineup for the first 14 months is incredible when you add in Ratchet, Deathloop, HZDFW, and now GoW.

I think theres a difference to be honest, shadowfall, order 1886, second son etc where total new games with true next gen leap graphics. They were only on PS4 too, you needed the PS4, no cross gen with PS3. It made the PS4 more of a must have i think.

Spiderman MM i can play on PS4, HZFW is a 2021 game available on PS4. Godfall is available on pc, same for deathloop if im not misstaken.
Demon's souls is a remaster of a game that came in 2006, if you played it (PS fans should have!), you get updated graphics.
Yes we have ratchet and gow, somewhere 2021 games, but we don't really know if both or one of these will be on PS4 too. It seems very likely for GoW.

Astro's playroom and the like, well, fun minigames or tech demos for the controller, yes. Sony's lineup is more intresting then MS's, but compared to previous gens i think its abit 'meh'.
Theres less compelling reasons to get either XSX or PS5 then with other generational shifts. Both partly due to cross-gen, but also less of a jump in hardware leaps etc. It probably has gotten more expensive/time consuming to create those titles too.

I think theres a difference to be honest, shadowfall, order 1886, second son etc where total new games with true next gen leap graphics. They were only on PS4 too, you needed the PS4, no cross gen with PS3. It made the PS4 more of a must have i think.

Spiderman MM i can play on PS4, HZFW is a 2021 game available on PS4. Godfall is available on pc, same for deathloop if im not misstaken.
Demon's souls is a remaster of a game that came in 2006, if you played it (PS fans should have!), you get updated graphics.
Yes we have ratchet and gow, somewhere 2021 games, but we don't really know if both or one of these will be on PS4 too. It seems very likely for GoW.

Astro's playroom and the like, well, fun minigames or tech demos for the controller, yes. Sony's lineup is more intresting then MS's, but compared to previous gens i think its abit 'meh'.
Theres less compelling reasons to get either XSX or PS5 then with other generational shifts. Both partly due to cross-gen, but also less of a jump in hardware leaps etc. It probably has gotten more expensive/time consuming to create those titles too.
Spider-Man MM has ray tracing and other visual enhancements on PS5 (the gen over gen improvement in visuals will be the smallest of any gen, too. You'll have to impress gamers other ways). We also know that Sony used the engine to showcase the improvements of PS5, so they've been working on improvements a while.

The addition of a SSD will be night and day. The single best improvement in console gaming in several generations. I think people will become frustrated going back to old consoles once they get used to it.

Spider-Man MM has ray tracing and other visual enhancements on PS5 (the gen over gen improvement in visuals will be the smallest of any gen, too. You'll have to impress gamers other ways). We also know that Sony used the engine to showcase the improvements of PS5, so they've been working on improvements a while.

The addition of a SSD will be night and day. The single best improvement in console gaming in several generations. I think people will become frustrated going back to old consoles once they get used to it.

Agree with that yes, probably the reason for RT.... It's the only way forward. It's much more subtle though, as say shadowfall was. No idea how the average joe thinks about reflective puddles. I love it, but im a pc gamer and wanted that already in 2018 and BFV.

Yes the SSD is going to be a darn huge improvement, console users never got the SSD's in the early 2010's. I remember going from a HDD to a SATA2 SSD, there was simply no way back in every way, not just games, but also general OS operations. SSD are also more silent, HDD's have this distinctive irritating noise to them.

Then loading times and savestates, i think people are going to like alot. Loading times on current PS4 should be illigal, that long they are.
Doom eternal went from 20S loading to no loading at all going from HDD to NVME on pc. So yes, probably the SSD is the most compelling reason for 99% of people regarding hardware.
The average joe doesnt see the difference between ray traced or non ray traced shadows for example.

I think the RT hw may be used beyond graphics. Collisions, occlusions and such may find into RT HW an aid.

I think the RT hw may be used beyond graphics. Collisions, occlusions and such may find into RT HW an aid.
It’s already very prevalent in audio.

If they can drastically increase RT efficiency over the course of this gen, which is more possible since it’s in its infancy, perhaps that could be the basis for a ‘Pro’ revision that re-establishes an entry point at the original MSRP.

Let's not dial the lens to rose too heavily about the PS4s launch, if it wasn't for BF4 being cross gen I'm not sure how much I would have been playing on it. Infamous Second Son was a March 2014 game which is a very generous "launch window" (not that Sony or MS would disagree with you), the only title that looked "truly" next gen on launch was Watch Dogs (Hahahahahahahaha) and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when it was delayed. Microsoft definitely had the better slate of titles on launch and the widely held opinion was the PS4 was the better system with better performance on 3rd party titles but Microsoft had the better exclusives

Edit: Wow HipHopGamer, that takes me back! Does this mean the dream is real? Will we see MisterX again? Our Dark Lord of MS Paint Diagrams?

PS4 had the whole "PS4 has no games" thing going on for months and months! When was the last time launch titles were anything other than that? Launch titles, quickly forgotten as they make way to the real big hitters months and years afterwards.
Holy words

Back