Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

For anybody in the UK still wanting a PS5, Argos currently have them. I just pre-ordered the DualSense Charging Station from them - this was the one thing I couldn't get from Amazon.

XsS will last as long as series X. The question probably whether they will support XsS with new games when the next gen after this comes because it might be hard to scale down to XsS from PS6. Right now they already saying that dev can chose to turn off ray tracing on the S.

XSS wil get replaced in 2024. XSS users will most likely get new releases till 2026 and after that you get use xcloud or upgrade. By 2024 there will be a new $300 MS console with newer amd tech running around xsx speed and there will be a new $500 console running the same tech just much more powerful. MS will then start upgraded xcloud from Series X to the new high end.

The console cycle will be dictated more by xcloud than anything else

Has anyone noticed many sites list the PS5 as having 1TB SSD? Currys a very large UK retailer even has it as part of the main product title.

SONY PlayStation 5 Digital Edition - 1 TB
Product code: 741332

XSS wil get replaced in 2024. XSS users will most likely get new releases till 2026 and after that you get use xcloud or upgrade. By 2024 there will be a new $300 MS console with newer amd tech running around xsx speed and there will be a new $500 console running the same tech just much more powerful. MS will then start upgraded xcloud from Series X to the new high end.

The console cycle will be dictated more by xcloud than anything else
Smart move of MS to link console to Xcloud server HW development. Don't think the HW is then less console specialized. Infact MS has VRS & SFS and ps5 ? Who knows ??[emoji1]

Don't think the HW is then less console specialized. Infact MS has VRS & SFS and ps5 ? Who knows ??[emoji1]
Really I am very curious to know more details about the hardware specific features that MS was so confident to talk about. Either there is no reason for a hardware teardown or Sony isn't confident because it lacks in a lot of areas.

But it is a bit strange that we got info on the PS5 with very distanced announcements overall.
We can in general break down the PS5 announcements in 3 major events.
Mark Cerny's presentation.
The revelation of the PS5 hardware and some games
Announcement of price and games.

In between we got some sparse information on the controller and sound from some interviews.

No interviews on special hardware features and demonstrations, no BC demonstration with any kind of enhancements, no menu demonstration, no OS improvements and features shown, no gameplay demonstration of the controller (someone actually playing a PS5 game "live" and describing whats going on),

Really I am very curious to know more details about the hardware specific features that MS was so confident to talk about. Either there is no reason for a hardware teardown or Sony isn't confident because it lacks in a lot of areas.

But it is a bit strange that we got info on the PS5 with very distanced announcements overall.

In between we got some sparse information on the controller and sound from some interviews.

No interviews on special hardware features and demonstrations, no BC demonstration with any kind of enhancements, no menu demonstration, no OS improvements and features shown, no gameplay demonstration of the controller (someone actually playing a PS5 game "live" and describing whats going on),

Geoff Keighley did something with Astro Playroom. Normally before COVID Sony wanted to demonstrate all of this in some Playstation experience show in shop.

The OS will come soon. It was supposed to be in August and it was postponed. BC will come. The announcement will probably be more frequent now.

Agree. All the presentation of HW side for ps5 is incomplete at this stage. Also the BC side has dark points... some of them crucial (4k BC of ps4-pro enhanced titles)....

Has anyone noticed many sites list the PS5 as having 1TB SSD? Currys a very large UK retailer even has it as part of the main product title.

SONY PlayStation 5 Digital Edition - 1 TB
Product code: 741332
Yep, I noticed the same. This is the fault of the store I would say.

Funny thing is I found this when pre-ordering.

Includes:
-Wireless controller
-825GB SSD
-Base
-HDMI® cable
-AC power cord
-USB cable
-Printed materials
-ASTRO’s PLAYROOM (Pre-installed game. Console may need to be updated to the latest system software version. Internet connection required.)

Experience lightning fast loading with an ultra-high speed SSD, deeper immersion with support for haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and 3D Audio, and an all-new generation of incredible PlayStation® games.

Last edited:
Sony was confident in the games they showed. MS on the other hand showed Halo and cutscenes and no next-gen gameplay. Ouch! I wonder who is confident in their console.

Sony was confident in the games they showed. MS on the other hand showed Halo and cutscenes and no next-gen gameplay. Ouch! I wonder who is confident in their console.
The ones that are actually selling them to customers are clearly confident....
Halo is something coming from the old Xbox -bad- management. I can smell it.

Yea it’s still a ways out. Though I suspect once pre-orders are done it gets much harder to grab stock once it’s released. So I guess it depends on how long you’re okay with waiting
Well I had to wait till end Feb beginning March for my PS4. That said, I will make sure I get my pre-order in for the second batch.

I hope the failure rate is not too high, or at least spread trough the time, otherwise they have to make a lot replacements first...

Back