Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I can't believe Sony are mired in last generation with this game. PS4 is holding this game back. LOL.
I think turn about is fair play but lets be logical here. The technology in these consoles only just recently came into existence. Super fast ssds , amd's ray tracing and so on and so forth have maybe been avalible for what 8 months or so in really limited amounts most likely only to sony / ms first party if even. So it would make sense with the average game taking 2-3 years that all these games were made with last gen systems in mind. Most likely the refresh consoles as the main target specs with them adding RT and higher resolution to the new gen console and down scaling for the original release consoles last gen. It only makes sense that both MS and Sony would want to make money off the large preexisting marketing base. Once Sony has 10-20m ps5s and MS has the same amount of series consoles then you will suddenly stop seeing previous gen games from them. I actually wouldn't be surprised with God of war being a 2021 title that it will end up on the ps4 also.

I think my biggest problem with this also releasing on the PS4 is the fact that, by virtue of not being able to stream as quickly, Miles Morales won't be able to swing as fast as he'd otherwise be able to. Remember the very early leaked demonstration of an SSD using Spider-Man as an example.

So either the PS5 version will see a gimped swinging speed, or PS4 and PS5 players will get different mechanics. I reckon the former is more likely, as different mechanics necessitate different game design.

As an off topic aside, I'm not so keen on Jim Ryan as head of PlayStation. He seems more focused on short term profitability than longer term sustainability. I think that's the fundamental reason behind PlayStation's mixed messaging as pertains to generations.

I think my biggest problem with this also releasing on the PS4 is the fact that, by virtue of not being able to stream as quickly, Miles Morales won't be able to swing as fast as he'd otherwise be able to. Remember the very early leaked demonstration of an SSD using Spider-Man as an example.

So either the PS5 version will see a gimped swinging speed, or PS4 and PS5 players will get different mechanics. I reckon the former is more likely, as different mechanics necessitate different game design.
There's a problem with you using the leaked demo as a swing mechanic. If Spider-man and Miles Morales Spider-man were real people, you wouldn't have them swinging through the city at break neck speeds. The demo was a fly through of the area and not Spider-man swinging through the area. The demo was used to show off the IO throughput and SSD and to show that the new system would no have bottlenecks(or at least none that we currently know of).

Could just be a bigger streaming buffer (RAM) on PS4 - less room for HQ assets compared to PS5.
Not sure if you were answering to my post, and if you were see below. Else ignore.

If I remember correctly, they said they had used the current Spider-man build as found on the PS4 when they ran that demo. As I said, they didn't have Spider-man swinging through the city, they did a quick fly through.

Not sure if you were answering to my post, and if you were see below. Else ignore.

If I remember correctly, they said they had used the current Spider-man build as found on the PS4 when they ran that demo. As I said, they didn't have Spider-man swinging through the city, they did a quick fly through.

They used an F16 ;P

Just speaking generally about streaming speed with respect to next-gen'ness. One of the advantages of having the SSD is being able to reduce resident memory consumption, so it shouldn't necessarily be a negative to be cross-gen. It just means there'd be more room for better assets that wouldn't have been possible before (although perhaps it's dubious as to whether you'd notice HQ assets if moving at the speed of sound in a city). :)

There's a problem with you using the leaked demo as a swing mechanic. If Spider-man and Miles Morales Spider-man were real people, you wouldn't have them swinging through the city at break neck speeds. The demo was a fly through of the area and not Spider-man swinging through the area. The demo was used to show off the IO throughput and SSD and to show that the new system would no have bottlenecks(or at least none that we currently know of).
My thoughts exactly. One thing is having the hardware that allows you to go from the top to the bottom of the map in 2 seconds. Another is to find a way or a reason to fit that into the actual game. Sure they can make it faster, but Spidey will never be able to 'swing' at the speed of sound.

I agree that they wouldn't have you swinging through the city at the maximum speeds shown in the demo, but I think a fair number of people could bear going faster than the maximum speed in Spider-Man PS4.

Simpler than having abusrdly high speed movement, an SSD streaming sytem allows much higher asset variety. Potentially, all buildings in the game could be wildly different. Or most of them could have fully realized interiors.
If one has to design the game with PS4 in mind, that possibility is already out the door from the get go. Unless one accepts the cities to be slightly different across gens, like buildings you can actually enter in-and-out of in real time, while in PS4 they are innacessible (actually, that could even be a good way to tease next gen)

Back