Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

You see I believe it does and not only the way it looks but the design decision behind the core of the game. Things they might of been able to do with a proper CPU and the SSD.
Probably, but its long generation, it always starts slow.

I also didnt swallow SSD pill. I dont think it will change the way the game play in any noticable way, probably will change alot for devs, but for players? Nah.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and of course some Sony fans will have drank that kool-aid about 'generations'.

But you can rest assured that the many, many gamers who can't or don't want to buy the PS5 yet, for whatever reason, are very happy that they can play Miles and Horizon on their PS4, as well as many other games.

Some cross gen for the first year or so has been the standard every single generation so far.

And from what we have seen, both Miles and Horizon seem quite suited to being scaled up/down, as they don't really provide anything structurally that can't be done on PS4, albeit at lower quality. The main difference will be zero loading and actually fast travel, and lots of eye candy on PS5, which is what it is designed to do anyway.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and of course some Sony fans will have drank that kool-aid about 'generations'.

But you can rest assured that the many, many gamers who can't or don't want to buy the PS5 yet, for whatever reason, are very happy that they can play Miles and Horizon on their PS4, as well as many other games.

Some cross gen for the first year or so has been the standard every single generation so far.

And from what we have seen, both Miles and Horizon seem quite suited to being scaled up/down, as they don't really provide anything structurally that can't be done on PS4, albeit at lower quality. The main difference will be zero loading and actually fast travel, and lots of eye candy on PS5, which is what it is designed to do anyway.

Every time I see you post I think it's someone else...can you change your name back!? :p

It's a shame we won't have an open world PS5 exclusive game to show us what SSD brings to the design table.
See, I think this is not entirely correct.

Open world games on PS4 will work the same as they have worked since the start.

The same open world game can very much work on PS5, if it is designed to take advantage of the SSD, as they have already said and as has already been shown with Spidey.

They are running on the same engine, and the PS5 will simply load everything almost instantly. What's there not to like? :)

Same engine, two different configurations. It's the way it's been done since the dawn of time.

In a year or so, games will be built around the PS5 tech, so some of the limitations that came from the PS4 legacy will go away. It's the same as literally every generation.

So with a good number of the games being available on PS4 without the DS5 controller, does anyone realize or feel the sting of Sony not supporting the existing DS4 controller on the PS5 for "PS5 games"? And instead being forced to spend another $70 for a second controller?
If that's true, then yes.
At least for local multiplayer games.

If they only force this on single player games (which is the case for Miles Morales and Horizon 2) then.. well, you can't really buy a PS5 without a DualSense so it's reasonable to expect that every PS5 owner has at least one DualSense. Why bother to implement a DS4 input path in those cases?

simple free firmware update for SeriesX
This is great news for the Xboxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, I think this is not entirely correct.

Open world games on PS4 will work the same as they have worked since the start.

The same open world game can very much work on PS5, if it is designed to take advantage of the SSD, as they have already said and as has already been shown with Spidey.

They are running on the same engine, and the PS5 will simply load everything almost instantly. What's there not to like? :)

Same engine, two different configurations. It's the way it's been done since the dawn of time.

In a year or so, games will be built around the PS5 tech, so some of the limitations that came from the PS4 legacy will go away. It's the same as literally every generation.

I get what you're saying, but you're no @Shifty Geezer so I can argue back knowing you might be wrong - they have to design a world with the HDD streaming limitations in mind. I'd rather they design a world with their imagination completely unhindered by these shackles.

Yes there will be other limitations, but let's see try to remove barriers - I'm sure Sony meant to do more than quicker loading.

Last edited by a moderator:
That cash doesn't go into a piggyback even if that would deliver them a war chest for later fights. Any company with the kind of warchest necessary to fight like this would be at risk from a reverse takeover by activist investors. It's why so many companies are "asset light" because if you sit on actual cash or high value real estate some poxy vulture fund will up and buy you to gut you.

Are you trying to make fun off me? :) I mean I am no finance guy, but with that kind of track record you will not have a big issue putting together the financing to do it, if you belive it. And its now they should try, IMO.

Then start acting like one and stock bleating on like a spoilt brat "I want my teardown waahhhhh!"

I get what you're saying, but you're no @Shifty Geezer so I can argue back knowing you might be wrong - they have to design a world with the HDD streaming limitations in mind. I'd rather they design a world with their imagination completely unhindered by these shackles.

Yes there will be other limitations, but let's see try to remove barriers - I'm sure Sony meant to do more than quicker loading.

Of course, games built just for next gen will be better! And yet, you can still have a great game that works on each platform and takes advantage of each. Just like you can play Horizon ZD on PC with Potato settings that make the game look like caca if you have a 1995 PC, or with Ultra Instinct settings if you have a 3080.

A certain very big retailer here in Finland had PS5 preorders already in june or july, I think soon after the PS5 design was revealed. The price was a placeholder 999€ and today it had been updated at 429/529€.
I strongly suspect they have any idea on how many consoles they'll receive at launch. They do have what seem to be official PS5 retail boxes at their website though. Digital has a dark, mostly black box and disc version has a box with white background.
Are the preorders in other parts of the world really sanctioned by Sony, or just retailers trying to lure you into them.
2_635767-978x828.jpeg

[URL='https://cdn.verk.net/images/19/2_602044-978x827.jpeg'] [/URL]

Are you trying to make fun off me? :) I mean I am no finance guy, but with that kind of track record you will not have a big issue putting together the financing to do it, if you belive it. And its now they should try, IMO.
Oh my apologies it wasn't my intent to mock you just point out that they will have had to sell this pretty hard as they won't be spending down a cash hoarde to do it. As obvious as it may seem that paying a subsidy today = big bucks tomorrow persuading banks or finance houses to support that subsidy may be it would never be easy. All of the people with existing Sony paper will have had to be persuaded to that this is not Sony spending down the capital that should be properly spent paying off existing debt.

Doesn’t Scandinavia have this stupid distribution deal with some Nordic company and Sony that makes all prices there higher than in the rest of Europe?

Reactions: JPT
Doesn’t Scandinavia have this stupid distribution deal with some Nordic company and Sony that makes all prices there higher than in the rest of Europe?
Indeed, I had forgotten this. It's Nordisk Film Distribution, and they're the reason for the higher prices, usually I think it's been at least around +50€ for a console.

A certain very big retailer here in Finland had PS5 preorders already in june or july, I think soon after the PS5 design was revealed. The price was a placeholder 999€ and today it had been updated at 429/529€.
I strongly suspect they have any idea on how many consoles they'll receive at launch. They do have what seem to be official PS5 retail boxes at their website though. Digital has a dark, mostly black box and disc version has a box with white background.
Are the preorders in other parts of the world really sanctioned by Sony, or just retailers trying to lure you into them.
2_635767-978x828.jpeg

another reason to get the digital edition...

Anyways.... Lets keep this discussion on topic, with the Sony Playstation 5... *ahem*

Sony belive in generation. The bad of this is the lack of total BC (will see exactly what is lacking, I'm worried for ps4pro enhancements). Ms does not belive in generation... See windows 10. See Xbox.... I love the XSX capabilities with ML to enhance old games to 4K qnd HDR. But at the end of the day a great remaster like this Demon Souls looks so good that and no algorithms can obtain this. Different philosophy....

Back