Sony Playstation Gaming Showcase [2020-09-16]

Was anyone surprised to see that Capcom showed a new Resident Evil Village trailer? Well, I wasn't expecting that.

By the way, the new Silent Hill game could be at Tokyo Game Show as a special surprise. Something to do with Konami is lined up for the 26th of September!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/tokyo_game_show_2020_lineup_announced
it seemed like a lot of games from the first event were more fleshed out at this event so i wasn't surprised really .

Having Chris Redfield in Resident Evil Village trailers like Capcom is doing, is just a way to get people excited. It's probably just a cameo type appearance anyway. They know Ethan Winters is quite mundane in general as a primary character, so they use an iconic character being in the game as bait. Unless we get DLC similar to 7: Biohazard, I doubt Chris (or simply "Redfield") is gonna have a very big part in the game.

In general though, it doesn't really look like a RE game at all. And they're bringing back the merchant idea, which I think is done better in other horror games, because in Days Gone for example, the people are in some type of camp or military base. The merchant in RE4 was dumb comic relief, really, and also quite unrealistic to boot, because it is not physically possible to cart all his stuff everywhere he may go. :(

Everyone's so hungry for information.

I have to say that I'd quite like to just see some extended gameplay trailers. An odd one I know, but I'd like to actually see more of Destruction AllStars.

Eurogamer released an interesting article on Sony/PlayStation and suggesting they might be returning to their "arrogant" days.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...t-but-sonys-broken-promises-are-eroding-trust
Article seems fairly on point here. MS got flack for being transparent. Sony played the messaging game and came out way ahead.
Situations reversed I do believe MS would be crucified.

a bit of a situation like Apple I guess; Sony can do no wrong. That’s typical of the incumbent however. It didn’t help that Halo wasn’t a looker it strengthened Sony’s messaging and weakened MS, even though they are doing the same thing.

as I understand it; support for PS4 is expected for 3-4 more years.

Article seems fairly on point here. MS got flack for being transparent. Sony played the messaging game and came out way ahead.

a bit of a situation like Apple I guess; Sony can do no wrong. That’s typical of the incumbent however. It didn’t help that Halo wasn’t a looker it strengthened Sony’s messaging and weakened MS, even though they are doing the same thing.

Well, the drama with Halo is that it looked like poopoo, which then started the whole scaling/no scaling conversation. And wrongly so, cause evidently it is possible to scale up/down but Halo made it look like it couldn't be done, which is a bit silly.

Not sure that Sony can 'do no wrong'. They've been getting things wrong and people have been calling them out quite a bit, even just this year.

Ultimately, until sales suffer, which really only happened with the PS3 out of 4 generations of absolute dominance, Sony will keep doing Sony.

Sony riled up their fans with "We believe in generations and games created ground up for next gen" at the time MS made comment about cross gen games in first 2 years, they got burned badly. TBH MS is missing something in their strategy, Aaron Greenberg and their PR team (not twitter) should probably find another job someplace else. They are misfiring, yet they have great products, services and tons of new studios which will deliver games I expect to be generation defining (Obisidan, Fable from Playground etc.).
How is this surprising? This has always been the case with PlayStation.
Its not surprising, it was surprising how Sony (and their fans) implied XSX will "suffer" for 2 years while Sony will get it going with next gen in November, and be only next gen console until actual ng games start to pop out for XSX. Sony jumped on bandwagon and made some great PR moves, but now everyone is like "What? Of course Horizon, Spidey etc. will be playable on PS4, it was always going to be the case" . Nah...

Well, the drama with Halo is that it looked like poopoo, which then started the whole scaling/no scaling conversation. And wrongly so, cause evidently it is possible to scale up/down but Halo made it look like it couldn't be done, which is a bit silly.

Not sure that Sony can 'do no wrong'. They've been getting things wrong and people have been calling them out quite a bit, even just this year.

Ultimately, until sales suffer, which really only happened with the PS3 out of 4 generations of absolute dominance, Sony will keep doing Sony.
for me, ti's whatever really.
My biggest fears came true.

Which was the shock and awe approach that happened. That show, followed by pre-order tomorrow, with retailers allowing pre-orders today. There was so much about that communication that changed information so quickly, there just wasn't enough time to process. I'm not going to give into FOMO, I wasn't so dedicated to buy right away, especially having dropped 3K to fix my sports car lol. I have to be a little more conservative thinking with 5 mouths to feed in this household, yes, I can afford it, but it doesn't seem as responsible if I think it through.

There was just no time to process. Shit is OOS everywhere already. I was expecting more time than this to digest, but I guess they wanted to put in their stuff before MS a whole week before.

Well, I'm going to have to sit back and wait for reviews now at this point in time, I'll join in at the second wave. I guess I want to see what that power/fan noise situation is going to be like, might as well do a thorough inspection now that I'm coming in as a much later wave.

How is this surprising? This has always been the case with PlayStation.
Its not, but that's not the messaging they went with. They told everyone that these PS5 titles look like this because they are exclusively for PS5. Not many thought twice about it, a lot of people drank the juice and went with it and it was easy to swallow because of how poorly MS did with Halo. It set a strong stage for not cross gen games vs cross gen games.

Even the most critical journalists, even our friends at DF, did have the sheets pulled over their heads on this one. You can't help that if you ever went with in saying this game looks incredible because it's not held back by scaling... welp, you got the rugged pulled out beneath you. And it's not your fault, ti's because that what Sony was telling people that this was the case.

I'm not bothered by it as much, since I never took that position. But I can see how some people (mainly xbox fans) could feel upset about it. Since it was an uphill battle for them all the way until now.

Last edited:
for me, ti's whatever really.
My biggest fears came true.

Which was the shock and awe approach that happened. That show, followed by pre-order tomorrow, with retailers allowing pre-orders today. There was so much about that communication that changed information so quickly, there just wasn't enough time to process. I'm not going to give into FOMO, I wasn't so dedicated to buy right away, especially having dropped 3K to fix my sports car lol. I have to be a little more conservative thinking with 5 mouths to feed in this household, yes, I can afford it, but it doesn't seem as responsible if I think it through.

There was just no time to process. Shit is OOS everywhere already. I was expecting more time than this to digest, but I guess they wanted to put in their stuff before MS a whole week before.

Well, I'm going to have to sit back and wait for reviews now at this point in time, I'll join in at the second wave. I guess I want to see what that power/fan noise situation is going to be like, might as well do a thorough inspection now that I'm coming in as a much later wave.
Yep. Again, I'm going to put this down to "2020". Messy. And amplified by twitter/social/forums.

Cause ultimately, what's the big drama in the grand scheme of things? Big corporation talks rubbish to convince people to buy their product - SHOCK HORROR!

Yep. Again, I'm going to put this down to "2020". Messy. And amplified by twitter/social/forums.

Cause ultimately, what's the big drama in the grand scheme of things? Big corporation talks rubbish to convince people to buy their product - SHOCK HORROR!
Yea, its a position to take. But I guess in some ways, as per that article, I was hoping the shock to be a little more wtf for most people. I think if MS did this, people would have arranged several social media gatherings to bring them down for lying. And the backlash as you said isn't as great as it should be. Most people seem to be taking a position that, it's like any other generation during transition. But that's not quite the narrative story arcs that played out for this one.

I'm not bothered by it as much, since I never took that position. But I can see how some people (mainly xbox fans) could feel upset about it. Since it was an uphill battle for them all the way until now.

Yeah I can see that but I always thought Spiderman and Sackboy was multiplatform and I was very surprised when it was intimated that Spiderman wasn't.

My biggest disappointment is that Forbidden West is going to be held back by current gen.

I still think Demon Souls is PS5 only and potentially Ratchet so they didn't lie completely there are games made just for PS5 in mind. The big thing is if God of War is expected next year and Horizon Forbidden West is multiplatform then I suspect God of War would also be.

Yeah I can see that but I always thought Spiderman and Sackboy was multiplatform and I was very surprised when it was intimated that Spiderman wasn't.

My biggest disappointment is that Forbidden West is going to be held back by current gen.

I still think Demon Souls is PS5 only and potentially Ratchet so they didn't lie completely there are games made just for PS5 in mind. The big thing is if God of War is expected next year and Horizon Forbidden West is multiplatform then I suspect God of War would also be.
Yea I did want to say nothing about it. People just want to have fun (besides I'm more inclined to talk about hardware which is objective vs. artistic direction which is subjective, and I hate myself for shitting on devs), in the end it doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. If Demon Souls makes it to PS4, all the amazing as well, but the fidelity that I want to play it on is PS5 or better right. The argument for cross gen isn't enough to just play it, it's playing it at the fidelity you want to play it at - and so I'm okay with cross gen because of that. I'm sort of used to that type of thinking being on PC for so long.

Last edited:

The PS5 launch feels somewhat sketchy to me. The messaging around generations, yet discover actually they are not doing anything different than Microsoft in that regard. The marketing of "$399" yet supplied at a fraction of the $499 system. The way pre-orders were handled.

It's sort of deliberate obfuscation/bait-and-switch leading right into pre-order chaos.

The PS5 launch feels somewhat sketchy to me. The messaging around generations, yet discover actually they are not doing anything different than Microsoft in that regard. The marketing of "$399" yet supplied at a fraction of the $499 system. The way pre-orders were handled.

It's sort of deliberate obfuscation/bait-and-switch leading right into pre-order chaos.
there was a lot to digest in a very short amount of time. Everything is OOS and scalpers really benefited here online. I have a little bit of time to walk into a store and buy the 1 remaining 3080 in the computer store beside me, but it's 1K canadian. Lol, so I'm thinking twice about this right now and I'm going to wait until I find a game that absolutely needs it. Though, Cyberpunk is super tempting.
Like with Xbox, I think most people will be taking the All Access Route, which stops scalpers straight up. You get the console, but you're paying for GPU for 2 years. It stops them from taking that route.

And people would rather buy no-upfront and small monthly payments, then to hit a huge price tag with no games. So the market should be small for scalped xboxes, it should effectively minimize all scalping on Xbox. I'm going to have to wait on PS5 to calm down.

nooooo demon souls.

The way pre-orders were handled.

Is this a reference to the North American register your interesting thing? It seems in Europe Sony just turned stock over the retailers and let them do their thing as usual. Is this not the case everywhere?

Back