Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

That would be an all digital X when they can do a die shrink? And then an X RT or something for the suped up version.

I am not sure how they can have a better S when that's basically the current X.

I would assume they just price reduce the X when they can and make the Series S the $100 black Friday blow out machine the current all digital S has been.

It's clear price is massively important to their strategy, as is Xcloud where 1080p is perfect and will be for a good while.

The One S only had a modest bump to allow for overhead in processing HDR, it was not an upgrade as such to regular performance although they did not hold it back.

As per some previous discussions - there may not be a "die shrink". MS said they learned it wasn't worth it, just go with a new architecture.

As per some previous discussions - there may not be a "die shrink". MS said they learned it wasn't worth it, just go with a new architecture.
That was in reference to a new version of the Xbox One SOC. Jaguar CPU cores and GCN graphics, 2 architectures that AMD has moved on from with more efficient designs. It may make sense in 4 years to simple do a die shrink if performance gains can't greatly increase with newer designed parts.

There will be architectural improvements on the CPU and GPU that they'd like to pick up if it costs the same as doing a die shrink. Probably large improvements on AMDs RayTracing implementations for one thing for sure.
Yea if we considering 2024 as MS's target they will be on what navi 4 or 5 by that point. Looking at nvidia they managed to greatly increase RT performance in a generation so AMD should be able to do similar each generation, a navi 4 could be a lot faster at RT and even introduce new features . Also I am sure Zen will be much further a long than previous and ram speed will go up more

There will be architectural improvements on the CPU and GPU that they'd like to pick up if it costs the same as doing a die shrink. Probably large improvements on AMDs RayTracing implementations for one thing for sure.
That's true, but the previous comments about Microsoft not just doing a die shrink were in reference to Series S not using the old Jaguar/GCN APU but die shrunk. It may be that in 4 years we will see a proportional increase in performance that we see just moving from Jaguar to Zen, but I doubt that. Twice the IPC and double the clock is pretty massive. If we see something like 10%-20% increase in IPC it may not be worth moving to a new CPU architecture and worrying about outlier compatibility issues if you can do a die shrink for cost reduction or clock increases.

Last edited:
There were a couple of other good bits from that interview. They've not artificially capped the native output at 4k. It's up to developers to choose. That should be interesting for BC and smaller titles.

Beardo also mentions this:

“In some cases with a lower resolution, they'll be able to deliver the same ray tracing experience they have on Series X,” Ronald said, “and other cases, they may choose to disable that in order to turn on other effects that improve the overall experience.”

Interesting interview with some BTS photos...

Exclusive: With the new Xbox, Microsoft unveils affordable design for the masses
We talk to Microsoft’s design team about crafting its upcoming generation of consoles.

10-exclusive-inside-the-design-of-the-xbox-series-s-and-x.jpg

13-exclusive-inside-the-design-of-the-xbox-series-s-and-x.jpg

12-exclusive-inside-the-design-of-the-xbox-series-s-and-x.jpg

https://www.fastcompany.com/9055121...soft-unveils-affordable-design-for-the-masses

Still reading..

Tommy McClain

Microsoft is revealing today the exact time you’ll be able to preorder an Xbox Series X or Series S console on September 22nd. Preorders will start at 11AM ET / 8AM PT on September 22nd at Amazon, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, Sam’s Club, Gamestop, Newegg, and Army and Airforce Exchange Service.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/17/21444044/xbox-series-x-s-preorder-time-date-microsoft-retailers

If you want to pre-order on Microsoft's site use this for the Xbox Series S...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-series-s/942j774tp9jn

Tommy McClain

11 vs 53.5 seconds
Isn't it insane that I'm disappointed in 11 seconds load times? Realistically I expected current gen games (which are obviously not optimised for the storage system and contain duplicate assets) could be slower than nextgen games but I just kind of hoped... :cry:

Isn't it insane that I'm disappointed in 11 seconds load times? Realistically I expected current gen games (which are obviously not optimised for the storage system and contain duplicate assets) could be slower than nextgen games but I just kind of hoped... :cry:

Thats without any specific game patches or engine improvements, so its likely what we'll see on the majority of titles. :cry: The good news at least on Xbox is the Quick Resume is really nice and even faster, so once the game is loaded, keep it in your rotation. :LOL:

Thats without any specific game patches or engine improvements, so its likely what we'll see on the majority of titles. :cry: The good news at least on Xbox is the Quick Resume is really nice and even faster, so once the game is loaded, keep it in your rotation. :LOL:
I think a complete repackaging of game assets is a big ask. I don't think this will be a trivial amount of work even with good tools. Maybe some of the more recent first party games from Microsoft and Sony will get this treatment but I doubt devs want to be managing what is ultimately completely unique builds.

Yeah, but what may impact these games even more than a repackaging is just having the developers update their engine to at least UE 4.25.

There are so many games that I've been waiting on both of these new consoles to play. Outer Worlds is one. I put Last of Us 2 in to play in my launch PS4, fan was going crazy so I just put it back in the case and said I'll see you again in November. So, things like this interest me greatly.

"just". Hmm..

Yeah. I know it's a job and a half to bring in engine updates, even without any customizations. It's a big ask. I was trying to say they possibly wouldn't need to do the asset and resource repackaging to see a big lift.

That's likely a solid first step they need to do anyways to take advantage of the other Xbox Series features anyways, update the engine to the latest and greatest.

Back