AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay is a little pissed it seams? AMDs marketing is not to my taste and i dont like the cooler design... so I go ahead and post some leaks. Thats childish behavior to the max. He is just another swaggering, self-important tech-youtub-manchild with too much vanety and not much professionalism - sad (that he has almost 3 mio subscribers!

ANTWORTEN

Perhaps he just needs views so he made a video complaining about completely superficial things. Like the cooler is ugly from this angle if the card is out of the PC case.

Jay is a little pissed it seams? AMDs marketing is not to my taste and i dont like the cooler design... so I go ahead and post some leaks. Thats childish behavior to the max. He is just another swaggering, self-important tech-youtub-manchild with too much vanety and not much professionalism - sad (that he has almost 3 mio subscribers!

ANTWORTEN

Maybe it's that, but we don't know his relations with amd/rtg. Maybe he got screwed over about something or I don't know...

ANTWORTEN
I'm too old for youtube, I belong to a generation that learned to read.
Interesting pictures nevertheless.

Coolers that extend above the PCIe bracket that much wont fit in my wife's Ncase M1, which means no hand me downs to her rig...

They do seem to be the future of high end cards though, especially with TDPs reaching record highs. After she gets my 5700XT and uses it until it's past its use-by I might be forced to buy her a new case. This new trend doesn't align with the recent mITX trend unfortunately.

My viewpoint on this is that the gaming market has shifted and what we're really seeing the product stacks shift to match. For better or worse there is a market of people who want performance and they willing to pay the costs for it whether that's purely monetarily or through other considerations such as the higher nominal power consumption numbers. This means we're going to see the product stack stretch even more going forward, and even more so should we eventually move to MCM GPUs (more on this a bit later). Remember when graphics accelerators first came about the graphics stack was really tight by comparison (1 product per gen in some cases).

If you want a lower cost (nominal) graphics they'll still have products that serve it. If you want a lower power graphics card (whether for SFF, noise, or whatever) they'll have products that serve it. It's just that people will need to psychologically/emotionally come to terms that they'll sit lower in terms of relative performance vs. the absolute highest performing tier in a given generation for those that are willing to go to the extremes in cost.

Swinging back to MCM GPUs why would this get worse? Well if we were to hypothetically have a 4x75w (this like the lowest PC discrete GPUs atm) that is already 300w. But why would you stop there from a vendor perspective? There's going to be a sizable market willing to pay for more performance. A 2x200w of more mid size chips (eg. Navi 10 range ) config is already 400w. Remember we had 2xGPU cards in the past and they were still viable products (eg. the 500w $1500 2xHawaii 295x2) and that was with horrible scaling and support issues that were software dependent. A 250w

Asking because the MoSys patents were ~20 years ago? Good question.
The quad-density ones are from later than that, they only showed in 2003 I think.

But is AMD unable to license 1T-SRAM-Q from MoSys? I came up with 1T--SRAM simply because the density is much higher than regular 6T-SRAM. The Gamecube's Flipper GPU had a "humongous" amount of 3MB of 1T-SRAM inside a 100mm^2 chip with 51 Million transistors.
If that was scalable (according to @Gubbi it isn't, though), then 128MB of it would mean nothing in a >300mm^2 chip at 7nm.

New Unlikely, 1T-SRAM is DRAM with a SRAM interface, and DRAM uses capacitors which don't scale down as well.
Ok, I wasn't aware of that.
The Wikipedia page shows pretty decent scaling on 1T-SRAM Q but only down to 45nm.

Seems like it's the same set of photos JayzTwoCents leaked in his video, but Jayz only showed one of the photos.

Is that cooler 3 slots wide or merely 2.5?
It's 2.25 or under, not sure if it could be counted as 2 slots though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back