Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Best Buy Canada only getting about 22,000 units for pre-order? Seems low relative to the production numbers reported

Code:
PS5: Approx. 390mm x 104mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)
(excludes largest projection, excludes Base)

PS5 Digital Edition: Approx. 390mm x 92mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)
(excludes largest projection, excludes Base)

What does "excludes largest projection" mean? Are these dimensions not that of the smallest box that can enclose it?

No. Probably the fins & stand? Trying to make it seem smaller than it is.

Tommy McClain

These new game prices will change my buying behavior. I will start to do same with ps5 I already do with steam. Wait for sales. There is very few games for me that are "must buy" at launch. For PS5 my first must buy is horizon. Until then I can play ps4 games I missed as I gave my ps4 away midgen. Also I have ton of games on my steam account that I need to start and finish.

One has to wonder if this raise in game prices is going to have negative effect on bottom line versus what sony expects.

If PS5DE is to be their cash cow, its dumb to have that in a low supply. But what do I know.
GameStop makes money selling new and used discs. Not sure the DE is their preferred console, either. Their ratio may not be entirely dictated by Sony. (They buy and sell used hardware, too, so they’ll eventually deal with PS5 DEs.)

Reactions: JPT
GameStop makes money selling new and used discs. Not sure the DE is their preferred console, either. Their ratio may not be entirely dictated by Sony. (They buy and sell used hardware, too, so they’ll eventually deal with PS5 DEs.)

Best Buy Canada has similar ratio, 3K PS5 DE out of 22K Total for ~14%

From the tweet mpg1 shared:

"FYI - stock information, nearly 19,000 w/ disc PS5s, only about 3,000 disc free versions at BestBuy"​

so they they say games are 60bucks its actually more?

No prices in the US ever includes taxes because they can differ per city locality. It's a total cluster-muck stateside.

Taxes are so much worse than that. It's not per State. It's not per County. It's not per Zipcode. It's not even per City. It's per product per region. Some items are not taxed at all. Some other items have more taxes, like gasoline or cigarettes or alcohol. It's a proper cluster-muck.

About the only thing advertised to include taxes are certain brand mobile services for phones, like T-Mobile.

It's indeed two 10Gbps USB-A in the back, USB-C 10Gbps.
Also confirmed are WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1

Looks like SONY was thinking ahead with the USB and wireless, nice. That means you could use Bluetooth headphones. It's super lame XSX doesn't have optical out this time which means I can't use my Toslink to Bluetooth adapter on XSX. This along with the slower USB ports is pushing me towards PS5. Basically can't use Bluetooth headphones with XSX, *facepalm* Think I'll just get a PS5 and skip XSX.

Last edited:
Good article with interesting information. I quoted some good stuff but not all.

Ryan said he expects up to four years for the PlayStation 4′s expected life span, which makes sense considering the console’s large install base. The PlayStation 2 had a life span of about 13 years, and developers continued to support it several years after the PlayStation 3 approached its middle age.

Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

US best buy has preorder available but their web pages are acting up real bad. I guess there is more than few people hitting f5 and trying to pre order.

Back