How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Does the width include the stability base?

No

Dimensions

PS5: Approx. 390mm x 104mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)(excludes largest projection, excludes Base)
PS5 Digital Edition: Approx. 390mm x 92mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)(excludes largest projection, excludes Base)

edit: Basically as tall as a PC tower, less depth and way more thinner.

edit2:

Also weight:
PS5: 4.5kg
PS5 Digital Edition: 3.9kg
XBSX: 4.45kg

Which makes me think how inefficient size wise the PS5 design is. Form over factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The $25 a month AllAccess does give the 20% $50 discount, if I remember correctly.

There seems to be scarcity for preorders on the cheaper PS5 DE from what social media and other forums are talking about. Curious to see how it plays out on auction sites.

There seems to be scarcity for preorders on the cheaper PS5 DE from what social media and other forums are talking about. Curious to see how it plays out on auction sites.

Definitely. Well it stands to reason, $20 more maybe to include a disc drive but it costs $100 more. Simple math.

Given they're all selling out anyway, it likely behooves Sony to not make too many of the DE at least the first holiday.

The DE looks like it will be very hard to find.

When PS5 DE is $399 and launches with the latest enrty of Marvel's Spider Man (and PS5 remaster

of first game), next-gen sales discussion basically finishes considering xbox Halo will be absent this year .

Where is the 399 XSX DE?
499 XSX, 399 XSX DE, BOOM, fantastic position. Would have been...

I remember what a big moment it was when FF13 was announced for 360 in 2006. Xbox was too big to ignore. Now 14 years later, Xbox has regressed to where you can ignore it again (FF16 PS5 console exclusive). And it's because of decisions like XSS.
PlayStation brand is so powerful. Therefore if Ms just uses the same strategy then they probably repeats the result of this generation again
(less than half of PS sales). The only way is to try some different strategy.

When PS5 DE is $399 and launches with the latest enrty of Marvel's Spider Man (and PS5 remaster

of first game), next-gen sales discussion basically finishes considering xbox Halo will be absent this year .

yea but spiderman is a cross gen game. I thought no one wanted cross gen games. So the ps5 doesn't really have a good launch title then. Or are cross gen games good now since sony is doing it ?

Anyway I think your going to be surprised at how much the xss sells.

yea but spiderman is a cross gen game. I thought no one wanted cross gen games. So the ps5 doesn't really have a good launch title then. Or are cross gen games good now since sony is doing it ?

Anyway I think your going to be surprised at how much the xss sells.

I have to say i made this post before I knew demon souls was a launch title.

So i will say that PS5 has one good launch exclusive imo. However even though sony denies it will come to other platforms that demon souls title saying it was a timed exclusive has me thinking it will be announced for ps4 next year like spiderman was denied until today.

That is all.

PlayStation brand is so powerful. Therefore if Ms just uses the same strategy then they probably repeats the result of this generation again
(less than half of PS sales). The only way is to try some different strategy.
They are trying a different strategy and it's working. That's why Sony had to react to XSS with a lower price for PS5de. MS forced their hand. Well played MS.

They are trying a different strategy and it's working. That's why Sony had to react to XSS with a lower price for PS5de. MS forced their hand. Well played MS.

The question that i keep asking is if we will see a DD XSX.

What if we see that with one last game showcase and the price is $400. MS would have hit price parity with both Sony skus while undercutting them by $100 on the xss.

I know you guys might think thats a lot of system skus. But lets not forget at one point MS had 4 or 5 xbox 360 skus out there occupying about the same price spread.

It's possible, but somehow I think MS knows that most hard-core fans with 4k TVs can afford the XSX and won't care that much about saving the $100. Why bleed the extra $80 like Sony? If the DE becomes a problem they can just drop price of the regular XSX and lose $20 more (BRD) than Sony. They can afford it. Then Sony really has nowhere to go. I don't think they'll bother with a DE version. Better to spend the $80 per unit on more content or advertising to push GamePass.

It's possible, but somehow I think MS knows that most hard-core fans with 4k TVs can afford the XSX and won't care that much about saving the $100. Why bleed the extra $80 like Sony? If the DE becomes a problem they can just drop price of the regular XSX and lose $20 more (BRD) than Sony. They can afford it. Then Sony really has nowhere to go. I don't think they'll bother with a DE version. Better to spend the $80 per unit on more content or advertising to push GamePass.

You could be right , of course it will take away the cost advantage sony has. I guess we will see. MS may just ride it out and see if the xss sells as well as they hope and I think it will

If Microsoft does a XBSX DE, they need to do it on or before September 22nd when PreOrders go live.

I was always under the impression of that the xss was going to be early next year . But maybe the discless console is actually the xsx de and that will come out next year

Back