How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

If they pay people (even with store credits) to let the people's XSXs run while idle theyr business tasks (I say pay sostantiall more than electrical expenses & HW degradation expenses) I think this may be done.... [emoji1]

In France, some people find how to not confuse the public about One X, One S, Series S and Series X

1600165439-capture-d-ecran-2020-09-15-a-12-23-12.png

Last edited:
"Man selling $70 games with microtransactions doesn't believe in subscription services" :)

This is logic and he thinks Take Two can continue to sell GTA, Red Dead or NBA 2k without subscription services near launch date and I think they will succeed to do it. People will not boycott GTA because it is not on a subscription service.

And it is the same for COD, FIFA and All big AAA games or Sony/Nintendo exclusives games.

This is logic and he thinks Take Two can continue to sell GTA, Red Dead or NBA 2k without subscription services near launch date and I think they will succeed to do it. People will not boycott GTA because it is not on a subscription service.

And it is the same for COD, FIFA and All big AAA games or Sony/Nintendo exclusives games.

Ok. I was being a little facetious. I agree that a subscription service isn't right for their business model. As in the article, even F2P isn't right for their model given the millions of GTAV copies they've sold. They're had a dabble with Strada's buy for cloud model, and presumable it's been as poor for their sales as everyone else's.

Zelnick made the point that he doesn't feel there's customers out there waiting to play on streaming service who don't own consoles. I'd agree that there's not people waiting to spend $70 on a game who don't already own consoles/PCs. Subs services like Gamepass are a different proposition. They might still fall flat on their faces though.

(is this a digression? Don't we have a streaming business thread?)

Ok. I was being a little facetious. I agree that a subscription service isn't right for their business model. As in the article, even F2P isn't right for their model given the millions of GTAV copies they've sold. They're had a dabble with Strada's buy for cloud model, and presumable it's been as poor for their sales as everyone else's.

Zelnick made the point that he doesn't feel there's customers out there waiting to play on streaming service who don't own consoles. I'd agree that there's not people waiting to spend $70 on a game who don't already own consoles/PCs. Subs services like Gamepass are a different proposition. They might still fall flat on their faces though.

(is this a digression? Don't we have a streaming business thread?)

There are 2 billions gamers including mobile, most of people on mobile play free to play simple games and aren't into the classic games experience.

I think Xcloud will be successful with the existing Xbox/console base but I think Cloud services will not make the market extends beyond what it is now. It is a great way to improve ARPU of existing console/PC player.

Man if the French retailer supposed possible leak of 399 for PS5 DE is true, and I strongly suspect it is, Sony just showed what a dumb idea XSS was, as I've said all along.

Why wouldn't you spend 100 more for a full fat system, over twice the power, Sony exclusives, and nearly double the SSD storage?

Warning:*** Personal opinion heavy rant***

This is why Microsoft as a company fails so often. They 100% had the winning hardware hand with XSX this gen and their stupid execs are going to turn everybody off and drive them to PS with the cockamamie XSS concept, because they think they're so smart. Just unbelievable. XSS will drive people IN DROVES to PS5, which has one simple full fat option. Hell Ms even refused to make a no optical disc XSX just to create more artificial price separation with a bad expensive BOM XSS product. And now they're left hanging. they have nothing to compete with ps5de because they had to withhold xsx de to prop up a turd called xss.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you spend 100 more for a full fat system

Because the quantities will be so low you won't find one on the shelf/in stock? Let's see what the ratios for the XBSX vs XBSS or PS5 vs PS5DE will be when people actually go to buy one. Sony or MS could both be making tiny quantities on the lowered priced models at launch.

Also, $24.99/mo for the XBSS & Game Pass with no upfront costs. I'd take that over $400 up front & no games.

Tommy McClain

Because the quantities will be so low you won't find one on the shelf/in stock? Let's see what the ratios for the XBSX vs XBSS or PS5 vs PS5DE will be when people actually go to buy one.
You think PS5 is going to be is "so low" quantities? Based on what?

Also, $24.99/mo for the XBSS & Game Pass with no upfront costs. I'd take that over $400 up front & no games.
If you have a good credit rating. if not, you you will not get this line of credit.

You think PS5 is going to be is "so low" quantities? Based on what?

Speculation, my gut & opinion? Do I have to S P E L L everything out for you? I wasn't even replying to you. You need to go bother someone else. This grandpa ain't got time for that. You might as well mute me. LOL

If you have a good credit rating. if not, you you will not get this line of credit.

It will be plastered everywhere as an option, which was my point. However, if you don't have good credit I doubt you'll be able to afford $400 or $500 outright.

Tommy McClain

Back