Sony Playstation Gaming Showcase [2020-09-16]

Lower end prices are super aggressive.

I would be careful about undercutting xbox, as I think MS would move to match right away. Therefore all it would end up doing is selling PS5 cheaper than otherwise necessary.
I can be very aggressive with pricing when it's not my money! :yes: But I can only go on what Sony's Jim Ryan said:

“As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks – probably our main task – is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we’ve never delivered on before.”​

If Sony want people to upgrade really fast then they need to make the hardware super affordable. I think they'll be far more aggressive on PS5DE because of the digital game lock-in. 299 would be crazy nuts but I don't rule it out. It depends on how much Sony are willing to give up in the early years to secure market dominance. A big market means a solid income from game licensing revenue and for everything digital, the retailer cut as well. The only risk is if they sell low and don't secure that big market to recoup surrendered profits.

$299 would probably mean ~$150 loss on each unit. No way they are doing that and and it's not even necessary to transition users over at the speed they want. $399 would still be compelling enough given the hardware.

$299 would probably mean ~$150 loss on each unit. No way they are doing that and and it's not even necessary to transition users over at the speed they want. $399 would still be compelling enough given the hardware.

I agree with you but I assume Sony, who have dominated three of the last four console generations know what they are talking about - certainly more than you or I! If they want to secure a forth generation they need the consoles to be cheap even if they are not to manufacture. Loss-leading economics is as old as the hills, it's well understood in business.

$299 would probably mean ~$150 loss on each unit.

At that point, why wouldn't business competitors simply buy up all of Sony's $150 LOSS leading products and let them sit in a warehouse? That way Sony never has a chance to recoup any projected money. They could then sell the DS5 on secondary market to recoup $60 of that $300.

My bet: 369 for the ps5de, 569 for the vanilla ps5. I know 200 $ difference is a lot.... I say this because in Italy Gamestop gives 200 euro for the used ps4... It's a lot. By giving to Gamestop your used ps4 -I assume- you can fill the gap price between ps5 and ps5de.

At that point, why wouldn't business competitors simply buy up all of Sony's $150 LOSS leading products and let them sit in a warehouse? That way Sony never has a chance to recoup any projected money.
If Satya Nadella likes wearing outfits with arrows on, sure. :yep2: Obstructive business practices are thing in most countries.

If Satya Nadella likes wearing outfits with arrows on, sure. :yep2: Obstructive business practices are thing in most countries.

Really? They're just buying products. Over and over again. *shrug*

But obstructing a competitor's business. It's odd how many legislative concepts have evolved to stop people or companies being assholes. :yes:

Perhaps not odd at all, just indicator of the number of assholes in the world.

I want five hundred and ninety nine US dollars for the memes.

Realistically, it's $499 for the disked version and 50-100 less for the diskless version.

As DSoup mentioned, that wouldn’t be in their best interest. Publically traded companies such as Microsoft understand federal and commerce laws governing and protecting businesses and organizations rights to fairly profit. What you’re suggesting as a hypothetical would actually fall under illegal monopolistic practices. Circumventing a competitors fiduciary duties to legally and rightfully profit (for their shareholders), and impeded their business products, services, and growth is highly frowned upon by the Federal Trade Commission, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, United States Department of Commerce, and other federal bodies regulating and governing business practices.

Last edited:
We will see some games, probably some new bigger and smaller titles and perhaps a closer look at some of the existing titles and then it will end with pre-order announcement. They promised they would let us know in advance when pre-orders would happen.
It seems about time. Retailers need to know and they should start getting a more accurate idea on which model they should produce more of. Also they could have been waiting for the Model S info to come out.

And when that happens, announcing the price makes sense too. I would bet on $399 and $499, and would certainly assume the prices to be in that bandwidth. The existence of the digital edition must be purely to get the lowest price under their internal target or they wouldn’t even have bothered with two models. And the Model S makes sure they don’t want to go higher than $399 either.

So that’s my guess. And I agree some more Spider-Man gameplay would make the most sense, as it’s the biggest attraction right now for many.

Rehashing stuff from the previous presentation won’t make sense, as their waiting loop is that already. [emoji16]

1 hour to go ...

Back