Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

It can make sense by increasing your potential mtx/dlc customers by 10's of millions of consumers instantly.
heres a way to increase your potential mtx/dlc customers by 100's of millions of consumers instantly
say all these games are free to download now
So why dont they do this?

heres a way to increase your potential mtx/dlc customers by 100's of millions of consumers instantly
say all these games are free to download now
So why dont they do this?
I can only imagine the MTX requires playtime. It's not enough to get people onto your service they need to be playing actual titles as well. That might be fundamentally the challenge with these services. So if people aren't going to play, charging them a small fee is money in your pocket. If they are playing you get a chance at MTX.

EA are pushing it everywhere. The games are old and they want consumers to purchase all the DLC and microtransactions found in their games. I doubt it even cost MS anything at all.
not that old, Fifa 20 and ME Andromeda and many others. If you want the NEWEST games from EA there is EA Play Pro.

Do you find reasonable and fair to pay 3,99€ a month or just 25€ a year and have new games that cost 70€ from day one?

Still they have plenty of new games, even Anthem is there.... (EA Play is like the most quality value ever)

I'll probably give Anthem a go when it's included for free and I have a next-gen system to deal with all it's loading screens. I hear it's really bad in that aspect.

Are people still playing Anthem? :LOL:
heheeh, dunno, it's the first game that appears on the EA Play list within the app.

Loading is pretty bad even on PC with SSD.
yup, for whatever reason, while I haven't tried Anthem, some games like AO Tennis 2 or Tennis World Tour and some others, see no benefit at all from being installed on the NVMe, while Resident Evil 2 Remake loads a saved game in 1 second or 2 at most.

A great video and she articulates some points that seem to fall low on the radar despite all of us knowing that factor is there.

Price.

Video gaming is becoming an increasingly luxury type hobby. The price of the new consoles and the new games makes it's really difficult to lower income families to get involved in gaming.

So in light of that thought, regardless of if Series S somehow holds back Xbox titles, or video games in general, what it does it allows more people to play at the cost of moving games further into the luxury market ie. say setting the performance bar at 20TF for instance, no one could afford it except for the few that typically buy high end GPUs anyway.

So in the end, yea, I hope this works out. This purchase may not be a terrible thing at all. Some will lose, but likely more will gain via Game Pass

Descenders is the 8th most popular game on game pass , they are now selling 5 times as many units each week as pre game pass on a weekly basis . Since they went into game pass their total xbox sales have tripled.

its only going to get better for games on game pass as more subscribers jump on
That's a surprisingly high conversion increase to full game from game pass. Very impressive.

That's a surprisingly high conversion increase to full game from game pass. Very impressive.
most games are discounted + dlc is discounted if your a game pass / gold subscriber. So for many if they like the game enough its smart to grab it in case it goes off game pass

Yeah, it's to be expected that Game Pass will increase sales of games that people are reluctant to buy since they know nothing about it.

That is a lot higher conversion than even I was expecting, however. I was expecting a doubling or perhaps tripling of sales for those developers, but a quintupling? That's massive.

[edit] 5x weekly sales compared to pre-Game Pass. They've also tripled total sales compared to pre-Game Pass.

And on top of that MS are paying them to be on Game Pass.

This is like someone giving you money so that you can make even more money.

Of course, it's likely not that high for all developers. Some titles are so niche that they'll pick up some sales but not 5x their normal sales volume.

Still, pretty cool to see.

ssUaXVs.png

Holy cow, look at the massive spike in reviews on Steam. The game came to Game Pass, May 2019. And you can immediately see the spike it caused.

[Last edit]
Also, interesting to think that Game Pass is also making Steam a lot of money.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

Maybe I need to give Descenders another go. I tried it and Lonely Mountain Downhill at the same time and the latter was sooo much more my kind of thing.

So does this mean more games would be better served with demos, or that discovery is much easier on a huge new platform?

discovery is much easier on Game Pass than having companies shop their demos around. Games are changing all the time.

One reason I think a rotating curated selection works better than having enerything on there.
1P is an exception to that.

So does this mean more games would be better served with demos, or that discovery is much easier on a huge new platform?

I think it's a combination of both. As long as you have Game Pass, there's no barrier to entry for trying any of the games on the service. So, it's kind of like a Demo, but unlike a Demo, there's no arbitrary limit. So, for example, some Demos might have a limit that ends a person's experience before they can decide if they like the game enough to buy it or not. Some games might take you say, 5-10 hours before you're really hooked and "HAVE" to have the game, but many demos will end after say 1-2 hours or something.

Discovery on Game Pass is also enhanced. Not because it's a huge platform, but because there are a limited number of curated titles introduced to the service each month. This is different from say going onto Steam or even Epic for the first time and just having hundreds, thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of titles suddenly at your fingertips. Where do you even start with something like that? Smaller developers get drowned if they aren't featured on the front page, and even if they are, did a customer that might be interested in that game happen to look at the front page on the day or days where it was featured? It's a huge problem with no easy solution, unfortunately.

Game Pass not only has curated list of games, so a customer knows that all the games are quality games even if they may not be the type of game they'll like. Additionally, since its curated it's going to be a relatively short list of games compared to an open storefront. Even compared to the Microsoft Store. So even if it isn't featured, the browsing list won't be huge and intimidating. Coupled with X titles allowed onto the service each month, this gives featured titles a decent amount of time to be front and center. And even if a customer doesn't look right away, the list of new titles for a given month will be relatively small, helping discoverability.

Discoverability (for consumers) versus accessibility (to developers) isn't something easy to balance. If you have great discoverability that generally means it's almost impossible for smaller unknown developers to get onto your platform. OTOH - if you have great accessibility for developers to get onto your platform, discoverability to consumers takes a hit.

Game Pass allows smaller developers to get a boost, but generally only after they've had some form of critical reception, whether that's through game site reviews or through user reviews. In this respect, Steam is a hugely valuable asset to Microsoft as Microsoft can directly see user reception to a game. And not only that, but because Steam displays user reviews over time combined with an easy to maintain (for the developer) way to post update notes for their customers, Microsoft can also see how well a developer supports their product over a long period of time post launch.

While that doesn't help a smaller unknown developer get onto Game Pass day and date, it does make it possible for them to get onto it at a later date...if their game is well received and well supported.

Regards,
SB

Back