Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

From France, it is a FNAC shop. I think they will open preorder tonight.

aaec75a2e207c17f7c07a1c705fbd402668a78d3.jpeg

Then they must have paid for the lowest tiers of CDN plans because it's been bad for as long as Playstation has been online.
PSN is weird since PS3 era.

use a local proxy, like Squid, and download speed becomes way faster. I don't know why, it doesnt make any sense, but it makes PSN downloads faster. Been like that since PS3 era, same with PS4 era. Probably gonna be like that on PS5 era.

I heard some rumors from a guy working at a french retailer look like 399 euros for PS5 DE and 499 for PS5 like El Corte Ingles in Spain.

Can you not set the console to keep games up-to-date automatically, so when Person A buys a game it automatically downloads to Console B? That way Person B never has to login as Person A again. Only some games get a little odd with addon DLC needing to be kicked off that way. Thats how it works elsewhere.

Oh I know what you mean now. I’m not sure actually, now that you mention that it probably works?

You can (from a PC) push the download to all consoles.

You essentially need to trust the other person or setup 2FA then at least you have ultimate control...you can also use a PC to remove all primary consoles from your account.

The disc drive itself makes the disc version look bad even without the price aspect imo

You are basically paying more money for a less aesthetically pleasing console

153748-games-news-playstation-5-event-confirmed-we-re-finally-going-to-learn-a-ps5-price-and-release-date-image3-wfkzj0ug4b.jpg

Is there a stand/leg to stop the disc version from wobbling while laying horizontally?o_O

Doesn't have to be higher, they get a bigger cut form each sale.

At $400 you get more than double the console power for just 1/3rd the price extra...I really hope this is true as I'm going to love seeing how the sales translate

Sorry, I meant that in general digital buys are more expensive and Sony gets more cash in total from a digital sale than from a physical. Wether they actually profit more, I have no idea, since I have no clue about the cost.

The number typically quoted for retailer spilt from a $70 sale is 30%, now traditional retailers have to deal with aged stock etc so that number is often lower in reality. Sony will be banking that 30% with the DE every time but on a full price game that is still only an additional ~$14 per game sold assuming they are buying a full price title and not from a sale event (often costs are split for these with retailer and vendor taking less). If they go with the DE at $399 it is a big bet on people buying a lot of titles in the next 12-8 months

The number typically quoted for retailer spilt from a $70 sale is 30%, now traditional retailers have to deal with aged stock etc so that number is often lower in reality. Sony will be banking that 30% with the DE every time but on a full price game that is still only an additional ~$14 per game sold assuming they are buying a full price title and not from a sale event (often costs are split for these with retailer and vendor taking less). If they go with the DE at $399 it is a big bet on people buying a lot of titles in the next 12-8 months

They have 9 Sony titles planned to release in 2020 and 2021. On a first party game, Sony takes 100% of the sale. And first year adopter spend on average for the first 5 years of a generation more than 1600 dollars in PS4 ecosystem in games and network services excluding hardware. Most of them have PS plus and will buy multiple games some from Sony or third party. Early adopters are big spender. And Sony will probably release more games this generation, they prepare it since a long time, explaining since 2015 the PS4 exclusives planning was too weak for the first part of the generation. I think first year buyer will spend more on PS5 ecosystem than on PS4.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2019/GNS_E.pdf

Consumer spend through the PS4 ecosystem estimated at over $20bn for the first time in FY18
• Average lifetime device spend exceeds $700
• Average launch year lifetime device spend exceeds $1,600

Another country preparing preorders

Last edited:
Sony does a postmortem of every gen and since 2015 they said exclusives line up was too sparse. Shuhei Yoshia considers in term of quantity pre 2017 was a failure from a first party point of view, he sais it in 2018 or 2019 to Famitsu. We never see any new PS4 games on Sony side since 2016 apart from Ghost of Tsushima but we know the pre production began before the release of Infamous First Light standalone and production probably a bit after the release of the title. Basically all post 2016 title are probably a PS5 title.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-27-sony-admits-first-party-lineup-a-little-sparse

They have 9 Sony titles planned to release this year. On a first party game, Sony takes 100% of the sale. And first year adopter spend on average for the first 5 years of a generation more than 1600 dollars in PS4 ecosystem in games and network services excluding hardware. Most of them have PS plus and will buy multiple games some from Sony or third party.
Early adopters are big spender. And Sony will probably release more games this generation, they prepare it since a long time, explaining since 2015 the PS4 exclusives planning was too weak for the first part of the generation. I think first year buyer will spend more on PS5 ecosystem than on PS4.

Yes the $1400 spend from a launch consumer is a fascinating number to see, just as a small quibble the first party publishing advantage is still only 30% as all the rest of the cash was coming their way anyway even if the sale was via walmart or what have you, the delta they want is the retailer share.

Also not surprised MediaMarkt has lost all patience :D

Yes the $1400 spend from a launch consumer is a fascinating number to see, just as a small quibble the first party publishing advantage is still only 30% as all the rest of the cash was coming their way anyway even if the sale was via walmart or what have you, the delta they want is the retailer share.

Also not surprised MediaMarkt has lost all patience :D

Not 1400 but 1600 dollars.

On PSN, they receive more on third party title because Sony is the retailer. They have 30% of the full price and 100% on first party games. I speak of PS5 DE because PS5 is supposed to be 499. They will lose more money on PS5 DE.

Here it is what the platfrom holder receive on a physical release of a 60 dollars game. 7 dollars on third party games and 34 dollars on first party games for Sony for a 60 dollars game.

main-qimg-60186931fa6306b13009f5b3d2fe8e25-c

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-g...-game-they-sell-if-each-game-costs-60-dollars

First year will be much better than PS4 because people didn't spend so much the first part of PS4 life because there were not many games. I bought KZ Shadow Fall, Infamous, Infamous First Light, Drive Club, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, The order 1886 from 2013 to 2016 and played some indie games.

I want to buy Spiderman Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Demon Soul's, Horizon 2 Forbidden West, Kena, Stray, Little Devil Inside, Cyberpunk 2077 maybe Returnal and Sackboy Big Adventure to play with my son, and probably dirt 5. All of this year one and more games will probably be announced. Release good games and gamerS will buy them.

Some people forget some meme.

i-win-again-checkmate-good-game-ps4-ps4-has-no-52411606.png

And I don't play mp games and no racing game anymore but I will probably do an exception for Dirt 5.

EDIT: 70%/30% is not the retailer margin but the Publisher/platform holder split. Here it is less than 30% on a physical release. On a 60 dollars third party PSN title Sony receive 18 dollars compared to 7 dollars on a physical release. On a first party title Sony receive 60 dollars compared to 34 dollars.

Last edited:
Heart vs logic

My decisions points list
1. I am buying a PS5 due to PS exclusives
2. I want to play NG games now.
47. I do not play many 3 party games
48. Mostly smaller titles are played when not playing 1st party games
87. My PS4 back catalog

Reality

1. None of the 1st party launch window PS5 games that we know about now, are interesting to me (SPiderman + Rachet + Horizon)
2. I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Dirt5
3. I want to play Ghost of Tsushima Legends

Still getting a PS5DE and nope, not planning on getting a XSX, just because I think future PS5 first games will rock :D

Heart vs logic

My decisions points list
1. I am buying a PS5 due to PS exclusives
2. I want to play NG games now.
47. I do not play many 3 party games
48. Mostly smaller titles are played when not playing 1st party games
87. My PS4 back catalog

Reality

1. None of the 1st party launch window PS5 games that we know about now, are interesting to me (SPiderman + Rachet + Horizon)
2. I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Dirt5
3. I want to play Ghost of Tsushima Legends

Still getting a PS5DE and nope, not planning on getting a XSX, just because I think future PS5 first games will rock :D
I think the most interesting launch game is Demon's souls (did you forget that game?). Also playing my PS4 backlog with near instant loadings (~1 sec) is actually very promising.

Back