Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

But is it like Steam Family where you tag a number of accounts as people who can play your games, or you can borrow a game to any account?
And can you un-borrow the digital copy you purchased from one friend to borrow to another?ª
Hopefully this is type of information that comes out tomorrow. UI, platform/service features, price etc.

Hopefully this is type of information that comes out tomorrow. UI, platform/service features, price etc.
But apparently this is stuff you can do right now. I know I'm being inquisitive here but I'm genuinely curious about how digital game lending works for the PS4.

But apparently this is stuff you can do right now. I know I'm being inquisitive here but I'm genuinely curious about how digital game lending works for the PS4.
First I've heard of it. But here are some results:
Not going to lie, this is fairly reasonable and given a large geographical distance, may perhaps be a reasonable way to do game sharing vs discs.
But I don't want to get the sub if I'm already paying for GamePass.
So I'll likely have to the disc sharing bit.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-gameshare-on-ps4

Requirements
* In order to play a game together, both you and your friend need a PlayStation Plus subscription, but neither of you need a subscription to play the game separately.
* In addition, while you can share your games with any number of other people on different PS4 consoles, only two people can play a game at one time.

If it works anything like how I think it does (similar to Xbox scheme):

Givens:
Person A
Person B
Console A
Console B
Person A with Console A
Person B with Console B

Steps:
Person A logs onto Console B and sets Console B as the "Home" console.
Person B logs onto Console A and sets Console A as their "Home" console.

Now when Person A buys a game, it's entitled on Console B and for Person A (regardless of what console is used).
Now when Person B buys a game, it's entitled on Console A and for Person B (regardless of what console is used).

If it works anything like how I think it does (similar to Xbox scheme):

Givens:
Person A
Person B
Console A
Console B
Person A with Console A
Person B with Console B

Steps:
Person A logs onto Console B and sets Console B as the "Home" console.
Person B logs onto Console A and sets Console A as their "Home" console.

Now when Person A buys a game, it's entitled on Console B and for Person A (regardless of what console is used).
Now when Person B buys a game, it's entitled on Console A and for Person B (regardless of what console is used).
Maybe Console A should just belong to Person B (and B to A). :p

But is it like Steam Family where you tag a number of accounts as people who can play your games, or you can borrow a game to any account?
And can you un-borrow the digital copy you purchased from one friend to borrow to another?ª

It’s not a really a ‘thing’ with a name.
Basically, you can play games that you buy on your friend’s PS4.
And he can play games on his PS4 (on his account) that you bought.
As long as you download them as “you” on his PS4.
And vice versa. Hence, game sharing!

And that also means you can play the one copy of the digital game, at the same time, even online against each other or in coop. Which we could never do with one disc copy. Pretty neat and it really does help at home.

Requirements
* In order to play a game together, both you and your friend need a PlayStation Plus subscription, but neither of you need a subscription to play the game separately.
* In addition, while you can share your games with any number of other people on different PS4 consoles, only two people can play a game at one time.
That second point seems to imply that any number of people (A B C D E...) can have a specific PS4 (A) as their primary simultaneously, and any two within that primary (A) pool can play a game (that’s on A’s account) simultaneously. I’m guessing that’s not true, that a console can only be primary for one person at a time, and the phrase “share your games with any number of people” glosses over the fact that you’d have to do the primary console tango each time another person wants to play one of your games.

But running two instances of a single copy of a game is pretty cool. It can essentially halve the cost of a game.

That second point seems to imply that any number of people (A B C D E...) can have a specific PS4 (A) as their primary simultaneously, and any two within that primary (A) pool can play a game (that’s on A’s account) simultaneously. I’m guessing that’s not true, that a console can only be primary for one person at a time, and the phrase “share your games with any number of people” glosses over the fact that you’d have to do the primary console tango each time another person wants to play one of your games.

But running two instances of a single copy of a game is pretty cool. It can essentially halve the cost of a game.
Yea someone is going to have to do some science here ;)

unfortunately i don't have a PS4 to test.

Two consoles can play the same game by
Console A is allowed to play because Game is installed by the primary account, and a secondary guest account, Account B is allowed to play on that console
Console B is allowed to play because A owns the game and is logged on as A, and the game is installed on a PS4 that has the primary account set to somebody else.

Both of these situations only allow one PS4 each. Console A must remain online at all times for it to work or it locks the game after like 15 minutes.
Not sure about Console B.

This ensures a maximum of 2 PS4s per digital copy.

They removed this feature a couple years ago, you used to be able to set as primary and then rinse and repeat- now the system ‘knows’ there’s another primary and asks you to remove it before proceeding.

Another thing PS4 does (or at least used to) is allow you to invite a friend to play your game.

Son you could be playing a game an send an invite and the friend can take over.

I also used this to play split screen battlefront with my daughter while she was at uni (she didn’t own the game)

BTW, I hope the download speed limit on the PSN (since covid) will be lift off on PS5 release... I don't want to wait for hours to dl games&patchs... Here in France at some hours the downloads are limited to 40mb/s for months now. Before that or in a middle of the day, I've 600-700mb/s, no problem. They even announce it ...

"Il est possible que le téléchargement des jeux soit plus lent ou retardé car nous collaborons avec les FAI pour gérer le trafic de téléchargement. Nous pensons qu'il est important de contribuer à la stabilité d’Internet en raison du nombre sans précédent de personnes confinées. Nous remercions la Communauté de comprendre et soutenir ces efforts."

Honestly, what $400 also does is make the $500 Disc version look kind of bad.
How does it make the disc version look bad? The disc version is likely in budget and might make a small profit(but who knows). The digital version will likely have Sony lose money initially however after a year or two it will likely be profitable for Sony(but who knows) due to digital sales if it goes well for them.

That said, the digital version could likely be a win for them comparing it to the XBSS at $299. $100 more and you get so much more bang for the buck which will likely last you 7 years if we go according to the current generation. Do you see the XBSS lasting 7 years? I don't.

Last edited:
I dont see a single PS5 launch console lasting that long, but thats a different discussion ... :runaway:

I dont see a single PS5 launch console lasting that long, but thats a different discussion ... :runaway:
Why not? My PS4 original is just under 7 years .. will be 7 years in March. It's still as good as the day I bought it and the games are awesome.

By the time PS5 launches, the PS4 will be 7 years old, if people still own one.

Back