Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Figured. Seemed the most obvious.

It looks like both of those GPU-Z images are overclocked, maybe. I don't really know how the boosting behaviour is supposed to work, but I've heard some people say Nvidia gpus will boost the clock above the listed boost clock. The mem clocks in both of these images are different, so I'm not sure if these are AIBs with factory overclocks, or if it's user overclocks. Really curious to know if they'd be power limited out of the box.
2080Ti is MSI Ventus (Non-OC) https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-VENTUS-11G

Guru3D's Bright memory benchmark video's gone early, quickly taken down, but not quick enough. Unfortunately there's no reference point to compare, since the game is not out yet.

bright_memory_rtx_308npk29.png

https://streamable.com/q0o9ws

183,3+75,5+85,9 = 344,7
175,1+76,1+87,9 = 339,1

That's at least what MS's Win10 calculator tells me. So I'm guessing those numbers in that screenshot are not the whole truth, some of GPU, MVDCC and PWR_SRC maybe factoring into one another. The power from the individual rails does line up much better though.

Sure looks like an awful lot of power being consumed by the memory in comparison to previous cards.
My 2070 Super pulls roughly the same 180-185w to the actual GPU chip as the screenshot from the 3080.

However, only 20-25w of that is going to the GDDR6.
We know from Micron's presentation that GDDR6x is a tiny bit more efficient than GDDR6 per bit transferred.

2070 Super has 14gbps GDDR6 vs 19gbps of the 3080's GDDR6x, so a ~36% increase in transfer speed per chip, plus an extra 2 chips for the 320-bit bus for an extra 25% overall power consumption.
Therefore by my math the 3080 should be consuming roughly 70% more power for its memory subsystem. But that's only 40-45w by my calculations, far below the 75w in the screenshot.

From my understanding of Nvidia's power consumption numbers, "GPU Chip Power Draw" is post-VRM, and there are usually a bunch of things that aren't counted that will always result in a mismatch between the sum of the PCIe slot and aux power connector power draw and adding up GPU + memory power.

Fans are a big one, plus all the RGB LEDs / controllers. It's not uncommon for GPU fans to be 6-10W each.

Attachments

• 2070super-power.JPG
    2070super-power.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 14
I am truly shocked no reviews leaked today. I figured somebody would forget to update the time on their CDN publication script or something.

Back