Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Wow, if they do go €400 for DE that is a bold bet on consoles, as in a "enough cash in every box to end Sony if it fails" kind of bet in a way this business just is not for MS

Yeah at $399 it would be the best model of the next gen consoles to buy. I'm still somewhat skeptical they can price it that low.

Also higher prices on digital games?

Doesn't have to be higher, they get a bigger cut form each sale.

At $400 you get more than double the console power for just 1/3rd the price extra...I really hope this is true as I'm going to love seeing how the sales translate

Honestly, what $400 also does is make the $500 Disc version look kind of bad. I'm still most probably getting the disc version otherwise I won't be able to lend games between friends, but Sony is definitely losing a lot more money with the digital version if that's its final price.

If they do, maybe they count a lot on ps+ subscription to balance it out long term ?
Digital-only version guarantees:

1 - Pretty much all the money you spend is guaranteed to have Sony as distributor/seller, meaning they get that cut from almost all copies sold.
2 - No second-hand market
3 - No groups of friends getting together to buy a bunch of single-player games to then switch between them, like I do. People with a digital-only console who want to play e.g. God of War 2, Horizon 2, Spiderman Miles Morales, Assassin's Creed Valhala and Uncharted 5 will need to pay for 5 games. I only need to pay for one.
4 - Higher probability of having a PS+ subscription due to dependence on digital titles.

Honestly, what $400 also does is make the $500 Disc version look kind of bad. I'm still most probably getting the disc version otherwise I won't be able to lend games between friends, but Sony is definitely losing a lot more money with the digital version if that's its final price.

Digital-only version guarantees:

1 - Pretty much all the money you spend is guaranteed to have Sony as distributor/seller, meaning they get that cut from almost all copies sold.
2 - No second-hand market
3 - No groups of friends getting together to buy a bunch of single-player games to then switch between them, like I do. People with a digital-only console who want to play e.g. God of War 2, Horizon 2, Spiderman Miles Morales, Assassin's Creed Valhala and Uncharted 5 will need to pay for 5 games. I only need to pay for one.
4 - Higher probability of having a PS+ subscription due to dependence on digital titles.
Actually - you can definitely share one digital game with two people/two different PS4s, this is what we currently do at home.

Actually - you can definitely share one digital game with two people/two different PS4s, this is what we currently do at home.
Two completely different accounts? One digital copy can be lent to 2 friends of mine that are in no way related to me?

I mean I really like my friends, but I wouldn't be comfortable sharing login and credit card info with them.

Two completely different accounts? One digital copy can be lent to 2 friends of mine that are in no way related to me?

I mean I really like my friends, but I wouldn't be comfortable sharing login and credit card info with them.

One game. Two accounts, two PS4s.
One PS4 is the other person’s “primary” PS4 and vice versa.
And so you can play your friend’s games on your PS4, as that is his “primary” PS4.
Bit weird but that’s the proper way, not even a hack or anything.

And so you can play your friend’s games on your PS4, as that is his “primary” PS4.
I prefer my games on disk 100 thousand times more.

But is it like Steam Family where you tag a number of accounts as people who can play your games, or you can borrow a game to any account?
And can you un-borrow the digital copy you purchased from one friend to borrow to another?ª

I prefer my games on disk 100 thousand times more.

I started to type PS4 but it was really VITA that had me migrate from physical to digital. I think Fallout 4 was the last physical game I bought, it's one of maybe 3 that I own for PS4. Digital is just too convenient for me at this point to bother with disc anymore.

Back