Nvidia abandons deal to buy ARM *spawn*

Given the current geopolitical climate, I'd imagine it is in China's interests to block Nvidia's acquisition of ARM Ltd ...

Given the current geopolitical climate, I'd imagine it is in China's interests to block Nvidia's acquisition of ARM Ltd ...

China will more than likely approve it (once the right/correct palms get greased). They won China's approval on the Mellanox Technologies acquisition back in April.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/tech...deal-won-china-ok-in-face-of-rival-opposition
(Bloomberg) -- Nvidia Corp. won approval for its Mellanox Technologies Ltd. deal from China and other regulators in the face of fierce opposition from competitors, Chief Executive Officer Jensen Huang said.

The $7 billion acquisition took longer than expected because of an extended technical review and the collection of industry feedback, particularly in a market as large and complex as China, Huang explained. As the world’s second-largest economy and the biggest market for semiconductors, China gets a say on industry deals.

China will more than likely approve it (once the right/correct palms get greased). They won China's approval on the Mellanox Technologies acquisition back in April.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/tech...deal-won-china-ok-in-face-of-rival-opposition

It's far from certain that they'll grant approval this time and handing out financial incentives won't work with high level authorities like antitrust regulators especially when there's high risk going against a police state where party leadership makes all rulings for it's inhabitants ...

Nvidia could actually draw the short end of the stick this time depending on how uncomfortable the CCP is with the idea since it is not without precedent where they have blocked American firms from acquiring another foreign firm ...

It's far from certain that they'll grant approval this time and handing out financial incentives won't work with high level authorities like antitrust regulators especially when there's high risk going against a police state where party leadership makes all rulings for it's inhabitants ...

Nvidia could actually draw the short end of the stick this time depending on how uncomfortable the CCP is with the idea since it is not without precedent where they have blocked American firms from acquiring another foreign firm ...

China might not be against what might become the biggest threat of x86 domination on Server/Datacenter space.

China might not be against what might become the biggest threat of x86 domination on Server/Datacenter space.

How will that benefit them ? If no Chinese firm benefits at all then why should they care about empowering an American firm ? Why shouldn't they take the most obvious route by harming them instead ? It doesn't help Nvidia's case that they're the biggest enabler of PC gaming which are totally at odds with CCP leadership curbing the gaming sector ...

Of course nothing is certain, however, I don't see China holding this up (nothing passed 2021 at least). And more than likely, US and China relations will become better (more Adult!) after the elections.

How will that benefit them ? If no Chinese firm benefits at all then why should they care about empowering an American firm ? Why shouldn't they take the most obvious route by harming them instead ? It doesn't help Nvidia's case that they're the biggest enabler of PC gaming which are totally at odds with CCP leadership curbing the gaming sector ...

The same issues and stances that you're bringing up now, were the same scenarios about China on the Mellanox Technologies acquisition. Heck, even Microsoft tried to bid/purchase Mellanox Technologies because of their worldwide technologies within communication chips and networking equipment.

Of course nothing is certain, however, I don't see China holding this up (nothing passed 2021 at least). And more than likely, US and China relations will become better (more Adult!) after the elections.

Will the potential new leadership reverse the sanctions ? That will be critical to their decision on whether or not top party leadership will be in the mood to approve the acquisition ...

This is getting a little off-topic so let's drop the subject ...

NVIDIAs stock price has been in a bit of a bubble recently. Given that this deal is being paid for ~60% in NVIDIA shares I wonder if they see this at least in part as a way to lock in that ethereal/virtual value before their stocks slide back?

I got to say, 6 months ago, I thought it was just an outlandish rumor.
Now that it is looking extremely close to finalization... I have to say it is going to throw a major curveball throughout many industries.
This especially hurts AMD who has only just started competing and beating Intel in enterprise markets. A combined ARM/Nvidia push with Nvidia's leadership, innovation, and execution is a potential powerhouse if they hit the ground running.

Well, the obvious implication is that future Arm reference GPU RT implementation will use NV's RT IP. But I dunno how far that future is - RT in a mobile SoC power seems like a decade or so away?

"NVIDIA CUDA on Arm" is already in the preview stage, so imagine Nvidia accelerating Cuda support and offerings.
The preview consists of the following components:

• CUDA Toolkit 10.2 for Arm (RHEL 8.0 and Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS. SUSE SLES 15 support will be added in the next release)
  • NVIDIA CUDA® Deep Neural Network Library (cuDNN) 7.6
  • NVIDIA Collective Communications Library (NCCL) 2.4
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit/arm

Well, the obvious implication is that future Arm reference GPU RT implementation will use NV's RT IP. But I dunno how far that future is - RT in a mobile SoC power seems like a decade or so away?

Imagination/PoweVR demonstrated RT operating within mobile power constraints. So maybe not so long...

https://www.imgtec.com/blog/avoidin...ation-is-bringing-real-ray-tracing-to-mobile/
The video below from January 2016 shows our PowerVR ray tracing IP running in real-time on hardware operating within mobile power envelopes, demonstrating true complex interactions within reflections (as in a puddle, reflecting a window that is itself reflecting a tree) using multiple rays bouncing to generate the realistic effects, and all in real-time at usable frame rates.

Back