Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The Atmos bit has to do with the number of audio channels that can be heard at once. Dolby spoke with developers and they indicated that 32 individual audio channels should not be exceeded (on games). So they capped it at 32. As I understand it, Dolby could have it higher if there was enough pressure to increase it.

I guess unless you're trying to make a forest of noise where each insect, bird and animal is making all it's own noises and you get this cacophony of sound you may need a lot. But 32 is still quite a bit. You need 32 individual actors in the area all doing something and emitting sound.

Last edited:
Maybe the Tempest can do some other "magic" too. Maybe it can distinguish each sound and process it to it's own binaural stereo sound for those that dont have multiple speakers

Maybe the Tempest can do some other "magic" too. Maybe it can distinguish each sound and process it to it's own binaural stereo sound for those that dont have multiple speakers
hmmm.. both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X both handle binaural sound encoding for headphones as well. When you buy their license for the hide fidelity setup, you also get their headphone license as well.
Like the Dolby demos I have, they have like 7-8 things buzzing around your head at once, and it's already pretty crazy and your brain is beginning to overload with so many different sounds in 360 moving around you, it's not really normal to have 7-8 unique sounds orbiting your skull.

Yea, I think it's going to come down to sound quality, unfortunately I can't check what Sony has unless they have a binaural audio demo I can listen to.

hmmm.. both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X both handle binaural sound encoding for headphones as well. When you buy their license for the hide fidelity setup, you also get their headphone license as well.
Like the Dolby demos I have, they have like 7-8 things buzzing around your head at once, and it's already pretty crazy and your brain is beginning to overload with so many different sounds in 360 moving around you, it's not really normal to have 7-8 unique sounds orbiting your skull.

Yea, I think it's going to come down to sound quality, unfortunately I can't check what Sony has unless they have a binaural audio demo I can listen to.
But real life has a shitload of unique sounds orbiting :p

But can you tell they're there individually or does your mind clamp them to far lower clusters of noises from general areas?

Lol not really. Only flies will orbit your head =P Most of them like light will come across as point sources.

like I would say that audio has massive impact on immersion if that is what the developers focused on. The accuracy is not as important as sound design.

I would say System Shock 2 is most memorable for its sounds. Graphically weak but the sounds and how sounds work in that game; they always keep you on your toes.
It’s a game that is still memorable to this day for me; but positional sound accuracy is not there.

it would be better with tempest/atmos; but the point is designing a game around sound.

tldr; if sound isn't a part of the core gameplay/design of the game, then sound isn't really memorable or really adding to the game. It's just something that is there.

I largely suspect that alien isolation is a game likely very similar to System Shock where sound is both what scares you but keeps you alive.

So how does this proprietary sound get decoded and played on your surround sound system?

It outputs how many channels of sound and what does an AVR or wherever your Dolby or DTS decoder is do with it?

So how does this proprietary sound get decoded and played on your surround sound system?

It outputs how many channels of sound and what does an AVR or wherever your Dolby or DTS decoder is do with it?

Atmos/dtsX has no set number of “speakers” like we had with 5.1/7.1. The system places the sounds according to how many speakers you actually have.
This is how it works for movies and any Atmos sources.

EDIT: your AVR does this job, as you will have it set up with your particular number of speakers, and calibrated accordingly.

Last edited:
But can you tell they're there individually or does your mind clamp them to far lower clusters of noises from general areas?
well if the brain does this, it should be able to do it with sounds coming from speakers too, maybe?
Or maybe not. Maybe real life sounds function differently in the brain because there is a real distance between them and the listener.

well if the brain does this, it should be able to do it with sounds coming from speakers too, maybe?
Or maybe not. Maybe real life sounds function differently in the brain because there is a real distance between them and the listener.
I think the brain naturally just sort of filters out sounds except the ones it thinks are important. It's sort of why we sleep better when it's not pure silence, that way any small sounds get drowned out by the ambient noise level.

So while they mentioned that Atmos has fewer channels than Tempest, it wasn’t implied they wouldn’t support it.
Not channels: objects.

Channels is the number of speakers a certain format can support. Dolby Digital for example is 5.1, TrueHD is 7.1, etc.
But Atmos isn't channel/speaker-based, it's object-based. One object is one sound source.

For example, in Atmos you can declare there's a person speaking in front of you, then a dumpster fire 5 meters to your right and a helicopter 50 meters above you. An Atmos decoder takes object information and plays each object's sound based on your speaker configuration. If you have a 5.1 system, the "object" of the person speaking in front of you will play on the center channel. If you have two speakers then the person speaking object plays on both speakers to make it seem like it's coming from the front. The dumpster fire on a 5.1 system will play on front right and surround right speakers to make it seem like it's coming from your right, but if all you have are TV speakers then it'll only play on the right speaker.
That's why there are soundbars and even TVs that claim support Dolby Atmos despite having just two rather low quality speakers. They just have an Atmos decoder.

Cerny's statement is only that Dolby limits the number of objects to 32, and they want more than that for the PS5.

It's not about number of channels. As far as channels are concerned, Sony is even saying they want to improve the sound immersion for people with stereo speakers coming from their TV.

Channels is the number of speakers a certain format can support. Dolby Digital for example is 5.1, TrueHD is 7.1, etc.
But Atmos isn't channel/speaker-based, it's object-based. One object is one sound source.

For example, in Atmos you can declare there's a person speaking in front of you, then a dumpster fire 5 meters to your right and a helicopter 50 meters above you. An Atmos decoder takes object information and plays each object's sound based on your speaker configuration. If you have a 5.1 system, the "object" of the person speaking in front of you will play on the center channel. If you have two speakers then the person speaking object plays on both speakers to make it seem like it's coming from the front. The dumpster fire on a 5.1 system will play on front right and surround right speakers to make it seem like it's coming from your right, but if all you have are TV speakers then it'll only play on the right speaker.
That's why there are soundbars and even TVs that claim support Dolby Atmos despite having just two rather low quality speakers. They just have an Atmos decoder.

Cerny's statement is only that Dolby limits the number of objects to 32, and they want more than that for the PS5.

It's not about number of channels. As far as channels are concerned, Sony is even saying they want to improve the sound immersion for people with stereo speakers coming from their TV.

You’re right, of course, it’s Objects instead of Channels, hence why there is no set number of speakers in Atmos setups.

Again, strangely worded presentation - ultimately the issue here is whether Sony will support Atmos/dtsX. And they never said they would not.

What is the impact of Dolby Vision HDR10+ Dolby Atmos and PS5 not having it?

As long as you can tell the machine amount of speakers, their location and feed sound for them, Atmos doesn't mean a thing.
You will mix sound properly for those speakers, whatever is the soundscape is.

I would love to go beyond Atmos spec in speaker placement and number. (Sounds under you etc.)
Really hope Ps5 will mix movies to headphones properly and with head tracking, it could be really amazing.

Dynamic HDR Metadata is also quite meaningless for games.

Although I wouldn't mind ability to properly tell machine the basic specs of TV though.

Last edited:
OK but if it's not using Dolby Atmos metadata or whatever the DTS equivalent is, then the AVR will use one of the synthesized modes and try to place Sony metadata the way it sees fit?

OK but if it's not using Dolby Atmos metadata or whatever the DTS equivalent is, then the AVR will use one of the synthesized modes and try to place Sony metadata the way it sees fit?

The way it works now (or until the last time I checked) on PS4 for example, for Blu-ray playback, is to send the raw bitstream to the AVR. As the PS4 doesn’t technically support Atmos playback.

That's interesting but does not explain why my AVR, which supports Dolby Atmos, does not enable Dolby Atmos for non Dolby Atmos compatible speakers? If what you say is correct it should not give a damn about what speakers are connected to it?

PS5 APU might be cheaper duo to size, but with clocks its pushing I have hard time believing yields will be as good as XSX. I also think XSX is losing quite a bit of money for MS, so perhaps Sony thought they will both go for 599$ and then releasing DE version for sub 599$. Not long to find out, but would not be surprised with anything from $399 to $599.

Back