The scalability and evolution of game engines *spawn*

Say you. What about me with my first console being the Intellivision https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision
The voice module add on has burned scars in my brain with the robotic voice of the game B-17 bomber "Fighters six o'clock" listen at 1:28.

I wonder if they could scale up that game with ray tracing and 4K HDR:oops:

DLSS 2.0 is still technology. It is not, yet, magic. Damn near it seems at times.

We had the Atari 2600. A wealthier friend of my parents had the Intellivision and my brother and I would switch off playing Burger Time all night while the old folks played cards and drank. Same couple had an actual LaserDisc and it was where I first saw Raider's of the Lost Ark. An Uncle had the first Pong stand alone. Played the crap out of that as well. I mostly remember Pong, Asteroids, Combat, Adventure, 2 bad racing games and Pitfall. :mrgreen:

Yeah. I remember that. God I feel old. On a semi-related note. Was watching the Digital Foundry video on MS Flight Simulator. Amazing how much of the visual quality is CPU bound.
In Flight Simulators case DX11 may well be big part of why it is so CPU heavy.

Saw on Tom Warren's (The Verge) Twitter that he's asking any develops with S concerns or comments to PM him. I'm sure he's not the only journo lining up an S performance article.

He's six months behind Jason Schreier reacting to this. But isn't Tom Warren the Verge journalist whose been posting pro-Series X hints/narrative for months, supposedly informed by people in the know (presumably devs)? How has all this caught him unaware? :???:

He's six months behind Jason Schreier reacting to this. But isn't Tom Warren the Verge journalist whose been posting pro-Series X hints/narrative for months, supposedly informed by people in the know (presumably devs)? How has all this caught him unaware? :???:

Maybe he feels he'll get more of a contribution to an article (if there's one to be written) now that S is a confirmed thing. At least one element of the NDA developers have been under has lifted. Comments clearly have reached journalists either directly or indirectly to date, but that does mean those developers breached their NDAs.

Maybe he feels he'll get more of a contribution to an article (if there's one to be written) now that S is a confirmed thing. At least one element of the NDA developers have been under has lifted. Comments clearly have reached journalists either directly or indirectly to date, but that does mean those developers breached their NDAs.

Jason Schreier stated that the concerns he raised earlier this year were "concerns from from devs". Perhaps Tom Warren wasn't getting his Series X info from devs, or maybe from devs without access to Series S ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But he's been very active with Series X info/leaks/hints that have been pretty close to accurate (for leaks anyway) so it's weird he's been blindsided by this. Some devs will be biased, so maybe his source was giving him the good stuff but not the stuff others are expressing concerns about.

As a journalist you need to be balanced, but if you're not seeing the whole picture...

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be awesome if he also asked for comments from developers who didn't have any concerns or didn't think releasing a title on XBSS would entail any difficulties.

It seems one sided if you only talk to developers who don't like like it. Versus getting balanced opinions by included developers who feel there isn't anything particularly special that needs to be done.

Regards,
SB
The opinions don’t have equivalent worth.
A negative opinion on any part of the hardware has to be specified, a developer saying a deficiency A prevents them from doing B is testable and falsifiable.
A developer vaguely saying “I’m sure everything will be fine, we’ll just reduce some settings”, isn’t. There’s no detail to test, we’ll only know If this is true once the game is released.

In all this talk of developers negativity towards XSS, there should be nothing preventing 3rd party developers to release the most demanding high profile games only on PS5, XSX and PC's no? There will certainly be enough customers in this trio to buy the games.

This one should be running on XSX/PS5 and PC. No mention of XSS but it's from before the unveil. Atleast this game scales between those three, and it's up there with any other next gen game showcased so far. Scaling does work when they put efforts in it.

One aspect to keep in mind is the Xbox Series devkits have not really been ready for targetting Lockhart/Series S until the late Summer version. I think the software kit was released in late June or early July. This is based on the leaked release notes to the SDK.

Previously if they wanted to develop for Lockhart Series S, the developers had to use an entirely different software environment than what was for Series X. That alone would easily lead to developer resentment. Now that its a unified environment and development experience, things should be vastly improved.

One aspect to keep in mind is the Xbox Series devkits have not really been ready for targetting Lockhart/Series S until the late Summer version. I think the software kit was released in late June or early July. This is based on the leaked release notes to the SDK.

Previously if they wanted to develop for Lockhart Series S, the developers had to use an entirely different software environment than what was for Series X. That alone would easily lead to developer resentment. Now that its a unified environment and development experience, things should be vastly improved.

More dev time = unhappy devs and also unhappy companies. regardless of the tools we now have 2 different consoles that you need to develop for. my prediction is that a lot of companies will go ps5 exclusive if sony is willing to throw cash their way. it would alleviate a lot of headaches having to work on a 4tlop system.

Say you. What about me with my first console being the Intellivision https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision
The voice module add on has burned scars in my brain with the robotic voice of the game B-17 bomber "Fighters six o'clock" listen at 1:28.

I wonder if they could scale up that game with ray tracing and 4K HDR:oops:
There are few games from that generation I return to, but B17 Bomber is one of them. Also, Poker and Black Jack. Don't know why, I'm not really into card games. But I've put hours into that.

To be pedantic, 18% at a minimum with 25% memory bandwidth for the most part.

Back